So what makes a resort feel "Disney?"

JusticeDisney

Original Poster
I have seen some people here knock the Swan and Dolphin because they supposedly don't feel "Disney" enough. While it is certainly every person's right to feel however they feel, I've yet to see anyone explain exactly what they mean when they say that. As we all know, the Swan and Dolphin offer magic bands, fastpass+ at 60 days, free transportation to the parks, and package shipment from parks to the hotel. The Swan and Dolphin also has a nice shop where you can buy all things Disney. So that leaves the DDP and DME as the benefits that you can get at a Disney-owned property but not at the Swan and Dolphin. Surely, though, free transportation to and from the airport (along with possibly having to stop at other resorts before you get to yours) and the ability to pay for all of your meals ahead of time (along with the resulting headache that comes with constantly trying to figure out and plan for what you can and cannot eat during each meal) cannot be what makes a hotel feel "Disney" to some people. And a simple picture of Mickey hanging on the wall or a Mickey attached to a lamp post cannot be what does it either.

So what is it in reality? Those of you who feel that certain hotels feel "Disney," please fill me in SPECIFICALLY on what it is that makes it feel that way to you. But please don't cite to the theme of a hotel, as that has nothing to do with a "Disney" feel. What I mean by that is Universal Studios, for example, could theme one of their hotels after a campground or a Polynesian island or a parking garage (in the case of the Contemporary). While some of the themes utilized by Disney are undoubtedly unique and fun, the themes in and of themselves don't equate to Disney.

Anyway, thanks in advance to those of you who can enlighten me!

ToTBellHop

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

If these are not uniquely Disney, then you don't know what "Disney" is. You say theming doesn't count. Theming is everything. Without theming, WDW is four amusement parks with a bunch of motels and Holiday Inns.

JusticeDisney

Original Poster
View attachment 104186 View attachment 104187 View attachment 104188

If these are not uniquely Disney, then you don't know what "Disney" is. You say theming doesn't count. Theming is everything. Without theming, WDW is four amusement parks with a bunch of motels and Holiday Inns.
You could have posted gorgeous pictures of the Swan and Dolphin and made the same point. There is nothing in any of those pictures that screams Disney. Those places are phenomenal hotels, of that there is no doubt. But that in and of itself doesn't make them uniquely Disney. They just happen to be owned by Disney. So, perhaps it is YOU who doesn't know what Disney is.

Last edited:

JusticeDisney

Original Poster
I agree. Theming of the resorts and open areas is one of the things that sets Disney apart.
I completely agree with you that Disney builds some beautiful resorts. I have stayed at most of them and have really enjoyed myself at almost all of them. I was a bit bored at the Boardwalk, and the Contemporary was as blah as could be, IMO, but the others I stayed at were top notch. I just feel like if you look at the resorts objectively, the Swan and Dolphin fits right in with the best of them. That's the only point I was trying to make.

Cmdr_Crimson

AKA: A Six Flags Theme Park.

With Disney It's really the quality service you get and with that it makes your trip more magical.

R W B

IMO I think All Star Movies Has the best "Disney" feel to it because of all the characters.

All of the other resorts have great theming and I enjoy them a lot but they don't scream Disney, just a great theme.

Personally I've never been to the Swan or Dolphin.

HolleBolleGijs

As we all know, the Swan and Dolphin offer magic bands, fastpass+ at 60 days, free transportation to the parks, and package shipment from parks to the hotel.

As I pointed out in another thread, S&D give you the option to purchase a MagicBand. It will only act as your park ticket. In that sense, the S&D is equivalent to an off-property hotel. That's not a huge difference to me, but there is a minor inconvenience since you have to carry around a separate room key and can't charge to your room. So the S&D is not equivalent to a strictly Disney resort in that respect.

Also, as I said in another thread, the Disney resorts (with the exception of the Contemporary and some of the values) give you the illusion that you're in another place and/or time. Obviously if I stay in POFQ I don't actually think I'm in New Orleans, and Coronado Springs doesn't actually make me think I'm in Mexico. But they allow the theme park experience to expand outside of the parks themselves.

I know you said that's not necessarily important to you when it comes to resort choice, but we all have different priorities. It might be a deal-breaker for someone else.

Matt_Black

Also, as I said in another thread, the Disney resorts (with the exception of the Contemporary and some of the values) give you the illusion that you're in another place and/or time.

And even the values often have little spots that do their darnedest to try. Between the two Jazz buildings at AS Music there's a lovely little fountain and garden rest area that is clearly meant to evoke New Orleans.

Matt_Black

Yeah. Last trip, I went from DHS to Epcot to take advantage of the EMH that evening. I hopped the Friendship Boat to Swan & Dolphin, then walked along the Boardwalk (in part because this was a little faster than taking the boat all the way, and because I heard they sold cigarettes at the one BW shop and I was fresh out). Anyway, S&D looked very nice aesthetically, but it lacked that Whoa factor. BW had Whoa.

JusticeDisney

Original Poster
As I pointed out in another thread, S&D give you the option to purchase a MagicBand. It will only act as your park ticket. In that sense, the S&D is equivalent to an off-property hotel. That's not a huge difference to me, but there is a minor inconvenience since you have to carry around a separate room key and can't charge to your room. So the S&D is not equivalent to a strictly Disney resort in that respect.

Also, as I said in another thread, the Disney resorts (with the exception of the Contemporary and some of the values) give you the illusion that you're in another place and/or time. Obviously if I stay in POFQ I don't actually think I'm in New Orleans, and Coronado Springs doesn't actually make me think I'm in Mexico. But they allow the theme park experience to expand outside of the parks themselves.

I know you said that's not necessarily important to you when it comes to resort choice, but we all have different priorities. It might be a deal-breaker for someone else.
Where does the YC/BC give you the illusion that you are?

JusticeDisney

Original Poster
By the way, the idea that theming is somehow unique to Disney is simply untrue. Look no further than Las Vegas, for example, where hotels invoke New York City, Paris, Venice, just to name a few.

As RWB said earlier in this thread, the Disney resorts scream theming (and pretty darn awesome ones at that), but they don't scream Disney.

HolleBolleGijs

Where does the YC/BC give you the illusion that you are?
Full disclosure, quotes are from Wikipedia since I haven't actually stayed at either.
YC: "designed to make guests feel as if they are actually on a ship"
BC: "themed after seaside cottages found in Newport at the start of the 20th century"

By the way, the idea that theming is somehow unique to Disney is simply untrue. Look no further than Las Vegas, for example, where hotels invoke New York City, Paris, Venice, just to name a few.
I'm not trying to compare Disney resorts to Vegas. I'm comparing them to the S&D. That's kind of the point of this thread.

As RWB said earlier in this thread, the Disney resorts scream theming (and pretty darn awesome ones at that), but they don't scream Disney.
Animal Kingdom screams theming, but not necessarily Disney. Worlds Showcase screams theming, but for the most part not Disney.

We get it. The theme of your hotel doesn't really matter to you. That's completely fair. But it's important to some people. Heck, there are some people who hate the Contemporary because it lacks a cohesive theme.

Last edited:

CheshireCat12

I think it is a combination of factors:
The detail within the theming is something that Disney is known for
The fact that you can feel like you are someplace other than central Florida and forget that you are at a commercial property paying money to ride rides- the whole design is set up as an experience more than just a place to rest your head. AKL is a great example of this. Disney Imagineers are some of the most creative people! True, you can get examples of this in Vegas but at WDW resorts you can also get a family vibe and a peacefulness that you may not feel in other places/hotels.
In the end though, what makes a resort Disney is also a matter of opinion- we all bring our own experiences to it.

JusticeDisney

Original Poster
Full disclosure, quotes are from Wikipedia since I haven't actually stayed at either.
YC: "designed to make guests feel as if they are actually on a ship"
BC: "themed after seaside cottages found in Newport at the start of the 20th century"

I'm not trying to compare Disney resorts to Vegas. I'm comparing them to the S&D. That's kind of the point of this thread.

Animal Kingdom screams theming, but not necessarily Disney. Worlds Showcase screams theming, but for the most part not Disney.

We get it. The theme of your hotel doesn't really matter to you. That's completely fair. But it's important to some people. Heck, there are some people who hate the Contemporary because it lacks a cohesive theme.
All due respect, I'm not against theming at all. My point is, as nice as some of the Disney theming is, it doesn't necessarily make you think Disney. And I only bring that up because I have heard some people say that when they were at SD it didn't feel Disney enough for them. Well, again, my answer to that is there is nothing that screams Disney at most of the resorts; rather SOME of the other resorts just have cool themes.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom