Last minute flights on Southwest

DisneyDreamer08

Original Poster
Has anyone ever booked a flight on Southwest a month or two out? Do the prices change? Or is there just a chance that the flight time you want may be sold out?
Long story short, we are trying to plan a trip for 2016 but the actual dates are very much up in the air right now. We are aiming for either April or May (which will start popping up on Southwest within in the next month or so) or if that doesn't work out, October. It is all going to depend on my husband, his contract is up on his current job in March. There is a chance he will be extending it, which means we could book our flights around Feb/March. If he moves to a new job, obviously he may not be able to get time off for a few months which would mean an Oct trip. Just looking for advice & opinions regarding last minute flights. It must be Southwest as we recently opened their credit card to earn points. Thanks!

R W B

I don't think I've ever booked a flight long then 2 months out before lol. My last flight was booked literally 6 hours before it left via southwest (Ft Lauderdale) and the time before that was booked the day before (Houston) so I wouldn't exactly call a mint or two out last minute lol. With that said, when looking around for prices and what not Orlando does always seem to be pretty booked for obvious reason so you might have to pay a bit more to get a seat. I know they have 3 rates for most flights, just depends what they have left when you know for sure.

TheMouseFan

Don't forget that you can always change your dates without paying a change fee on Southwest. You only have to pay the difference in the ticket price, or get a refund on the difference if they are less. May be worth going ahead and booking the earlier tickets if you find a good price, then change if necessary!

BJones82

Googling shows that generally 55-60 days out is the best time to purchase domestic flights :) They can go up as you get closer, it all depends on how popular the time and date is you're looking for. International flights are a whole different thing so don't use this info for that lol...

ninjaprincesst

I have found the cheapest airfare for us on Southwest always seems to be when I book as soon as the fares are released. For example, the current Southwest fare for our November trip is more than double what I paid when I booked in May.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom