The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Wrangler-Rick

Just Horsing Around…
Premium Member
I plan to! Good morning, Figgy!!! :)

Just spent close to an hour looking online at different dog food brands and formulations. Always fed Pedigree to my dogs over the years, but they put out an "improved" :rolleyes: formula and my dog doesn't seem to like it. (Physically, it's not seeming to agree with him; it's not him just being picky.)

I was thinking I might try one of the limited grain formulations (a few of the higher end, more expensive brands (sold in pet stores) offer those; although much to my surprise, both Petsmart and Petco carry Purina's special line of Pro Plan options). Limited grain food seems to be easier to digest. I'll try a smaller bag of whatever, and maybe mix some of the new dog food with the old to begin with, and then increase it to see what happens). If he picks the new stuff out of the old, then I'll know he likes it.

Never realized how many brands and formulations of dog food there are out there now. It's a bit overwhelming. And if you pay attention to the reviews, all have both good and bad reviews. Basically, it's just a carp shoot whatever works for your particular dog.

@donaldtoo , @catmom46 , and @FutureCEO , and @Gabe1 , what are you all feeding your dogs? Just curious.
We feed the Pedigree adult chicken flavor to ours - they still seem to love it and their weights all look good. We run into the issue you mentioned a lot of all the time with horse feed as well. The companies routinely add filler to the feed and a lot of them do not use a "locked" formula. This means that they will substitute ingredients depending on the market prices and they do not have to disclose that to the consumer. One day everything is going good and then you notice that they have "fallen off the feed" and are getting skinny.

seahawk7

"They're baacck!"

Swear on a Bible this happened to me. One night my daughter (who was 1 1/2) was sleeping with me for the night. Around 2 a.m. my tv kicked on, she sat straight up and said "They're back!" then laid down and was instantly asleep. That was the fastest I ever turned the tv off! It scared me for a minute until I thought about it I was :jawdrop:. 1. She's never seen that movie (I haven't since it came out) and 2. she didn't talk well at that age but she said that crystal clear. Freaky, huh?
That is beyond creepy. Did you ever find out why it happened?

catmom46

I plan to! Good morning, Figgy!!! :)

Just spent close to an hour looking online at different dog food brands and formulations. Always fed Pedigree to my dogs over the years, but they put out an "improved" :rolleyes: formula and my dog doesn't seem to like it. (Physically, it's not seeming to agree with him; it's not him just being picky.)

I was thinking I might try one of the limited grain formulations (a few of the higher end, more expensive brands (sold in pet stores) offer those; although much to my surprise, both Petsmart and Petco carry Purina's special line of Pro Plan options). Limited grain food seems to be easier to digest. I'll try a smaller bag of whatever, and maybe mix some of the new dog food with the old to begin with, and then increase it to see what happens). If he picks the new stuff out of the old, then I'll know he likes it.

Never realized how many brands and formulations of dog food there are out there now. It's a bit overwhelming. And if you pay attention to the reviews, all have both good and bad reviews. Basically, it's just a carp shoot whatever works for your particular dog.

@donaldtoo , @catmom46 , and @FutureCEO , and @Gabe1 , what are you all feeding your dogs? Just curious.

We are currently feeding our pups Merrick Grain Free chicken, which they seemed to do fine on for several years now, but then we heard that the sweet potatoes in it could be contributing to one of our doggies' skin issues, so I looked for something else and decided to go with NutriSource Grain-Free chicken (although we haven't started feeding it to them yet, as we're finishing up the last bag of the old stuff, but will most likely start mixing new stuff in this week).

We've never fed our furry babies any of the "big commercial" brand foods, mainly because they usually consist of by-products and grain. But yes, when it comes to "higher end" brands, they're all more or less the same in regard to quality and consistency. As @Wrangler-Rick points out, companies change formulas quite often and the only way you find out is by how your dog/cat reacts to it or asking the pet store staff. It can be rather frustrating. :banghead:

donaldtoo

And I have a dream of relocating to Florida someday? Just saw the youtube on our local news.

Man is warned by official that his BBQ smoke can't leave his property. If you can smell the BBQ from the street he is in violation. :jawdrop:

Oh Florida! I thought Illinois was crazy. :facepalm: :banghead:

I can't even imagine that happening here in Texas (although it's probably been tried :rolleyes:).
I can't even count the nights I pull up in my driveway and get out of my car and smell BBQ. LOVE it...!!!!! :joyfull:

MinnieM123

Premium Member
@ajrwdwgirl , @FutureCEO , @Wrangler-Rick , @figmentfan423 , and @catmom46 , thank you all for your input about dog food. I went out and bought 1 small bag of Nature's Recipe, grain-free formula with salmon. I'll try a little of that tonight for him, and through the week to see what happens. A vet had recommended that brand, so I'll give it a try. (It does cost about 3 times as much as my previous brand.) Something interesting: I noticed that all the dogs here are eating different brands. Again, it just comes down to their personal preference.

I was stunned to read from Wrangler Rick about how sometimes companies change certain ingredients based upon price and/or supply, but aren't necessarily forthcoming about some of these subtle adjustments. Apparently, catmom46 was also aware of this issue.

In conclusion, I suspect this may be a period of trial and error to see what works best. (We had just taken him to the vet last week for a complete physical, vaccines, etc., and the vet didn't see anything wrong at that point.)

catmom46

@ajrwdwgirl , @FutureCEO , @Wrangler-Rick , @figmentfan423 , and @catmom46 , thank you all for your input about dog food. I went out and bought 1 small bag of Nature's Recipe, grain-free formula with salmon. I'll try a little of that tonight for him, and through the week to see what happens. A vet had recommended that brand, so I'll give it a try. (It does cost about 3 times as much as my previous brand.) Something interesting: I noticed that all the dogs here are eating different brands. Again, it just comes down to their personal preference.

I was stunned to read from Wrangler Rick about how sometimes companies change certain ingredients based upon price and/or supply, but aren't necessarily forthcoming about some of these subtle adjustments. Apparently, catmom46 was also aware of this issue.

In conclusion, I suspect this may be a period of trial and error to see what works best. (We had just taken him to the vet last week for a complete physical, vaccines, etc., and the vet didn't see anything wrong at that point.)

Yes, sometimes trial and error is the only way to figure out which works best. Once you do find one that you'll stick with, you should compare prices with Chewy.com, as I've found they can be cheaper and free shipping with orders over $49. I love not having to lug home big bags of food from the store! :D

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Yes, sometimes trial and error is the only way to figure out which works best. Once you do find one that you'll stick with, you should compare prices with Chewy.com, as I've found they can be cheaper and free shipping with orders over $49. I love not having to lug home big bags of food from the store! :D

Thank you. That's very good advice.

One thing that bothers me is that unlike years ago, the pet stores don't seem to carry the little "sample" size (1 serving) bags of different brands. I remember with our previous dog, hubby brought home about 9 different kinds of dog food. Eight of them she sniffed, but didn't eat. The only one she liked was Pedigree!

But it sure would be helpful to pet owners if the pet stores would offer those sample packages to customers, as they did in the past. I'm sure it would save pet owners a lot of time and money.

catmom46

Thank you. That's very good advice.

One thing that bothers me is that unlike years ago, the pet stores don't seem to carry the little "sample" size (1 serving) bags of different brands. I remember with our previous dog, hubby brought home about 9 different kinds of dog food. Eight of them she sniffed, but didn't eat. The only one she liked was Pedigree!

But it sure would be helpful to pet owners if the pet stores would offer those sample packages to customers, as they did in the past. I'm sure it would save pet owners a lot of time and money.

Yes, it would, but that's not necessarily the retailer's goal. :greedy:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom