Why the lack of love for Midway Mania?

Kramerica

Original Poster
So I just have to ask. Maybe the locals will be able to shed some light on this one for me.

Without exception, every time I go to Hollywood studios in Disneyworld, the Toy Story Midway Mania ride is always absolutely packed. Waits are commonly in the triple digits. And I can see why! I love the ride. It's almost impossible to ride it and not be happy.

In contrast, Midway Mania at California Adventure, which is identical to the Orlando counterpart, is barely half as popular. Still a pretty decent wait, but almost always significantly shorter. Why? there has to be a reason for this. Can anyone shed some light?

Californian Elitist

For one, there's no FP option for MM, and two, there are a number of more interesting rides to go on at California Adventure.

Speaking of rides, doesn't DHS only have 6 rides? Compare that to DCA, which has at least 20. I'm sure that contributes to the differences.

GiveMeTheMusic

DHS is a shadow of a theme park that has had so little added in the past 10 years that TSMM had no choice but to be hugely popular. DCA has a far better attraction roster where the ride takes its rightful place as a fun D ticket instead of a centerpiece.

The lack of Fastpass makes a huge difference as well.

TP2000

The sham of Fastpass plays a big part, but honestly...

There are only five (5) rides in DHS; Midway Mania, Star Tours, Rock N' Roller Coaster, Tower of Terror, and Great Movie Ride. DHS has no parade and only one major entertainment offering with Fantasmic!.

There are twenty five (25) rides in DCA. Plus a parade, a fabulous nightly water show, multiple excellent theater shows and exhibits, several top notch restaurants and good shopping, set amongst some of the best thematic environs of any non-Castle park. (Cars Land, Buena Vista Street, World of Color, Grizzly Peak, etc.)

Midway Mania is a great ride, but at DCA it's in a park that has a lot of other great rides like Tower of Terror, Soarin' Over California, Radiator Springs Racers, California Screamin', Grizzly River Run, Monsters Inc., Little Mermaid, Goofy's Sky School, Mickey's Fun Wheel, Mater's Junkyard Jamboree, Silly Symphony Swings, Red Car Trolley, etc., etc., etc.

DHS, like most WDW parks, is tired and stale and can only offer a small handful of actual rides. It's no wonder a decent ride like Midway Mania is swamped at DHS. There's not much else to do there, and the visitors are starved for entertainment.

MaxsDad

The sham of Fastpass plays a big part, but honestly...

There are only five (5) rides in DHS; Midway Mania, Star Tours, Rock N' Roller Coaster, Tower of Terror, and Great Movie Ride. DHS has no parade and only one major entertainment offering with Fantasmic!.

I have not been to DCA, but to add to what you said: WDW is a family vacation destination. Of those 5 rides you mentioned, how many would appeal to a three year old, much less even let them on?

Bairstow

DHS is also a more popular park overall, drawing 10.3 million visitors last year to California Adventure's 8.7.

Edit: and until the recent uptick in California Adventure's attendance, the gap was much, much wider.

Last edited:

George Lucas on a Bench

WDW guests treat this mediocre screen video game ride like an E ticket for some reason. At DCA, you have more reasonable 30 minute waits (even that is too much), at WDW everyone Fastpasses it and heads there immediately.

TP2000

I have not been to DCA, but to add to what you said: WDW is a family vacation destination. Of those 5 rides you mentioned, how many would appeal to a three year old, much less even let them on?

Great point. Of the 5 rides in DHS, 3 have height requirements of 40 inches or more; Star Tours 40", Tower of Terror 40", Rock N' Roller Coaster 48". Leaving only 2 rides without height requirements; Midway Mania and Great Movie Ride.

DCA has 8 rides with height requirements of 40 inches or more; Soarin' 40", Tower of Terror 40", Jumpin' Jellyfish 40", Goofy's Sky School 42", Silly Symphony Swings 40", Grizzly River Run 42", California Screamin' 48", Radiator Springs Racers 40".

But that still leaves 15+ rides in DCA that don't have height requirements, including several dark rides and family Omnimovers like Monsters Inc., Little Mermaid, Midway Mania, etc.

DHS has the smallest lineup of rides of any Disney theme park. Even laughable Walt Disney Studios Paris has a dozen rides to offer. Heck, I can't think of any other major theme park in the world that would try to get away with only having 5 operating rides. Five rides?!? It only works because of the business model WDW has built up in the last 15 years, and MyMagic+ then creates faux demand for aging and tired shows like MuppetVision or Beauty & The Beast or Voyage of the Little Mermaid.

Last edited:

gsrjedi

I think being the family friendly ride with the biggest appeal is the biggest contributor to it's "popularity" in DHS.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom