Nineteen Eighty-Four Competition Arena

Flippin'Flounder

The Spinny Thing
As a part of the revamping of Wonders of Life , Epcot fans will be delighted to see SPINSIDE OUT! as the centerpiece of the pavillion.
newcreate.php

It will take the place of the (now removed) central theaters. Each car will be a flying boat that Riley and Bing Bong designed when she was young, before the current spaceship was made, and will all have a unique name and design. Here is an image of The Bong.

Each boat will have 2 rows of 2 passengers each. The Front row can control the height of the car, while the back row controls the tilt. There will be 16 cars in total.

Statistics
Attraction Type : Spinner
Vehicle : Riley's Boats
Theme : Inside Out
Riders per Car : 4
Duration : 1 Minute and 30 Seconds
Number of Vehicles : 16
Riders per Hour : 1,200
Height Restriction : None
Ticket Rating : B-Ticket

Sam Magic

The Spinny Thing
As a part of the revamping of Wonders of Life , Epcot fans will be delighted to see SPINSIDE OUT! as the centerpiece of the pavillion.
newcreate.php

It will take the place of the (now removed) central theaters. Each car will be a flying boat that Riley and Bing Bong designed when she was young, before the current spaceship was made, and will all have a unique name and design. Here is an image of The Bong.

Each boat will have 2 rows of 2 passengers each. The Front row can control the height of the car, while the back row controls the tilt. There will be 16 cars in total.

Statistics
Attraction Type : Spinner
Vehicle : Riley's Boats
Theme : Inside Out
Riders per Car : 4
Duration : 1 Minute and 30 Seconds
Number of Vehicles : 16
Riders per Hour : 1,200
Height Restriction : None
Ticket Rating : B-Ticket
Picture is not showing up.

DinoInstitute

HoH Challenge 2- @IDInstitute's Submission
Figment's Dream Catchers!

This next HoH competiton challenged us to design a brand new flat ride for any theme park, anywhere in the world. The only restrictions- it had to have arms connected to a vehicle, spinning around from a central mechanism, and guests must be able to control their height. When trying to come up with an idea, I decided I would be able to create the best concept by sticking with what I know- WDW. Narrowing it down to one park, I felt that, since MK already had three (four if you count both dumbos), it didn't need another. Aside from Chester and Heater, DAK is one of the classiest parks there is, making it hard to create a flat ride of the such that doesn't feel forced and isn't an eye sore. DHS felt too much like the obvious choice as flat rides are needed for that park, plus many ideas have already been rumored/created by us armchair imagineers, so I wanted to take a more creative route. Eliminating those three options, I was left with Epcot. Initially, I thought the same thing as DAK- there's no way to make a flat ride really "work" here.

But, after thinking about it a bit more, I realized that there was actually some potential to make something really cool. I just had to be imaginative...
Presenting, Figment's Dream Catchers!
16baqoj.png

As a part of an Imagination! pavilion revamp, Figment's Dream Catchers will be a brand new flat ride, located just outside the Imagination pavilion. A flat ride is perfect for this area, as it is a simple concept, but with some creativity, it can be something really fun, exciting, and amazing, much like Imagination. The map below gives an idea of how this attraction will look on a map. It will be right on the edge next to the water, and also next to the Magic Eye theater (more on this later).
2d9qz9k.png

The ride will also serve as a draw to the pavilion. As guests are walking across the water, they will immediately be taken away by the most visually stunning FW pavilion yet, with a large, rainbow prism-building (new projected lights will make a rainbow appearance), and a colorful flat ride with fun, enticing kinetic energy. At night, LED lights and fiber optics will brilliantly illuminate the area/new ride.

This new spinner's queue will not just be a boring set of switchbacks. It will take a tip from the highly successful new queue at the Magic Kingdom's new Dumbo attraction. Guests can be given a pager as they enter the queue, and they can have fun enjoying themselves while they wait. The building they are having fun in is a re-purposed Magic Eye theater. It will serve as the new ImageWorks (called Dreamfinder's ImageWorks), which is where guests can wait (or, if they don't want to ride, they can to in there through a separate entrance). This is all a part of that pavilion wide revamp, as the current ImageWorks space will be used for an extended ride experience, and the upstairs portion of the building will be used as a restaurant/shop. Most ImageWorks exhibits will be carry overs/updated versions.

The backstory of this ride is that Dreamfinder has made a collection of all of his interesting gadgets, gizmos, and exciting, creative discoveries from exploring the Imagination (this showed in the queue area). Figment, being the curious and excited fellow he is, has gathered up all of the fun gizmos together to make Dream Catchers for guests to explore Imagination.

image.jpg

(Rough :p) Concept Art

Once you exit the queue and are about to board, you hear Dreamfinder/Figment audio saying:
DF: "Welcome, everyone! Soon, you are about to have fun exploring dreams in the Dream Catchers!"
F: "Ooh! That sounds like fun! What will we see?!"
DF: "As long as you keep your hands, arms, feet and legs inside the vehicle at all times, your imagination can take you anywhere!"

The vehicles are modeled after the Dream Catcher from the original attraction (just smaller), hence the name. Vehicles hold two rows of two, partially for capacity reasons, but also to help keep larger parties together. In row one, guess can control the height of the vehicle, and in row two, guests can control three different special effects, including a silly horn, a bubble pipe, and colorful lights. The vehicles, like most spinners, are attached the a pole connected to a center control area which it rotates around.
jii_dreamfinder.jpg

Throughout the ride, the Figment Audio Animatronic that sits on the center pole will talk and joke with riders.
After 1 and a half minutes, the ride comes to an end and guests depart their Dream Catchers.

General Statistics:
Attraction Type: Flat Ride
Length: 1 minute 30 seconds
Load/Dispatch Time: 30 seconds
Vehicles: 16
Riders Per Vehicle: 4
Hourly Capacity: 1,920 Riders

As you can see, this takes the relatively simple 'spinner' concept and turns it into one of the most exciting and interesting flat rides out there. Thank you for reading and I hope you enjoyed it!​

JokersWild

Have Some Reviews:
@gilm0114 - The Flight of the Blue Umbrella
First, I'd like to quickly mention that I adore "The Blue Umbrella." It's probably my favorite Pixar short, so I'm very glad that you've based your attraction off of this oft-forgotten short. However, there is a problem in that. I feel you've missed a few opportunities. Firstly, I feel as though you could have easily based this off of a few of Pixar's more famous short films. I just worry that "The Blue Umbrella" isn't really well-known enough to warrant an attraction.

I also feel as though you've missed a few opportunities in the storytelling of your attraction. I know it's a spinner, so storytelling is rather irrelevant, but you did set up a loose story. While the queue is great, and set up the story, I feel as though you could have perhaps gone just a step further in the actual attraction. Perhaps small details like one umbrella being red. Perhaps some sort of objective, like in the One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish spinner at IoA. It also bothers me much more than it should that you missed a huge opportunity in not having guests sit in an accordion briefcase hanging from the umbrella.

Though, of course, these are all just nitpicks as there isn't really anything bad about your project. The placement makes complete sense (though I worry it might be slightly too far from Pixar Place as it stands currently), you really captured the short, and your attraction, in general, was absolutely charming. Though I think you could have possibly gone further into detail, what you do have is great. Definitely a great start to this second HOH comp!
Creativity: 8/10 - The Blue Umbrella is a very interesting choice, and I feel as though you've captured the essence of the film rather well. However, I feel as though you could have gone just a step further in your concept.
Detail: 6/10 - Ok amount of detail. I would have liked a bit more in general. I definitely would have liked a little bit more on how the spinner actually looked.
Realism: 7/10 - There's nothing terribly unrealistic about this other than the fact that I don't think that Pixar would base an attraction off of the "Blue Umbrella." Perhaps if you went with "Tin Toy", or something as popular.
Presentation: 7/10 - No real problems here. It was easy to read. Nothing spectacular. Perhaps a few more pictures could have been used to get your idea fully across.
Total: 28/40

@DisneyManOne - The Honey Tree
I am absolutely torn. On one hand, you put out a rather nice spinner, taking elements from a few other flat rides, and fitting them into Pooh. On the other hand, you built a spinner, based on an IP that already has a dark ride, and placed it in a park with two other spinners, one of which being a two minute walk away.

It's a very nice spinner. The Honey Tree is a great focal point for it, and I'm sure that it would look really nice, but I'm not sure of the placement. I'm not entirely sure you realize how much land you need to build a spinner. There just isn't room for your attraction in the space you mention. This would need to be an extremely small toddler-sized spinner for it to even start to fit there. Perhaps if you placed it in the Merida Meet 'n Greet, but even then I'm not totally sure.

That said, I very much liked your design, the balloons sounds interesting, and Pooh circling around opposite to guests would be a really cool twist on the spinner concept. I do think that you could have gone further with the Bee concept, though. It would have been incredible if guests were in control of the cars getting "stung." Something like the Seuss spinner in IoA, with guests are directed to ascend or descend at certain times to avoid being "stung" could have been a really cool concept that would have made a game out of the tired spinner ride.

This has a ton of potential. I just think that you could have gone further with some concepts, and you could have changed your ride's placement.
Creativity: 7/10 - Interesting concept. My only real concern in terms of creativity is that Pooh already has a rather large presence in the parks.
Detail: 7/10 - Fine amount of detail. Nothing was really left unexplained.
Realism: 4/10 - Pooh already has a presence in MK. MK also already has two spinners. Your placement doesn't work. That's why you took such a hit in realism. The actual ride was very realistic. Just not the logistics.
Presentation: 8/10 - Presentation was fine. The pictures and drawing really helped me understand your concept. Concept was easy to read.
Total: 26/40

@Brer Panther - Bird's-Eye View
Let's talk about placement. Firstly, I am baffled that this attraction isn't in Animal Kingdom. It seems like it would be a perfect fit there, especially since The Land is more about the Earth and agriculture, and less about animals. Secondly, your ride doesn't fit. The fountain in The Land was removed to ease flow of traffic through the ground level of the pavilion. That, and provide table space for Sunshine Seasons. It just wouldn't fit inside the pavilion. Or outside, really. I still don't know why you didn't place it in Animal Kingdom....

The actual attraction looks great. It looks really fun. From the bird vehicles to the animals throwing fruit, this all made for a really nice cohesive attraction. The fruit throwing monkey was a really nice idea, and the fruit smell seems like it would be really effective.

Overall, the ride was really nice and charming, the placement just doesn't work at all.
Creativity: 8.5/10 - Nice theme. It was rather nice seeing a rainforest-based spinner.
Detail: 7/10 - No problems here. Perhaps a bit more detail.
Realism: 5/10 - You, like DisneyMan really took a hit here because the attraction wouldn't fit inside The Land. The only reason you have a slightly higher score in this category is because EPCOT doesn't already have a spinner.
Presentation: 7/10 - Fine presentation. Wasn't really difficult to read and the pictures were nice.
Total: 27.5/40

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's the first batch. I really need to eat dinner, so I'll get the rest up as soon as possible (sorry, tiki.)

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
@brinneydee, this is your second late project strike
@ToInfinityAndBeyond this is your first late project strike
@DisneyPrincess1993 this is your third late project strike, meaning you will become an automatic nominee for eviction this week.

Here are my scores for those who submitted.

@gilm0114

Creativity: 9/10 Love the idea of expanding the Pixar studios to shorts. As we explored in the Veto project last week, shorts are an important part of Pixar's legacy. Flat rides would be the perfect way to pay them homage.

Detail: 8/10 Solid write up, nothing too overly complex.

Realism: 8/10 I like how you specifically worked this into the overall fabric of the park's future in a cleaver way.

Presentation: 5/10 This is where you take a hit. I might be a bit harsh here, but that picture really doesn't represent a ride of this type very well at all, causing a bit of a disconnect while reading it.

Total: 30/40

@DisneyManOne

Creativity: 7/10 Pooh isn't the most striking and original of IPs to work with on first glance, though great things can be done with it.

Detail: 8/10 Very well laid out.

Realism: 9/10 I could easily picture this fitting into the Pooh area, and as you mentioned it would be a great additional expansion to what's already there with the new Fantasyland.

Presentation: 9/10 Loved the drawing and the carousel style "storybook" motif you laid out. Great work!

Total: 33/40

@Brer Panther

Creativity: 8/10 It's essentially the Tiki Room in the form of a flat ride. Now here's a houseguest trying to get to my heart!

Detail: 6/10 Seemed fairly rushed. You would have probably benefited from using all the time allowed for this project.

Realism: 7/10 While I loved the effect of monkeys throwing things at you, I question if this big forest with AA animals is a bit much for a flat ride...

Presentation: 7/10 Solid, but nothing spectacular.

Total: 28/30

@mickeyfan5534

Creativity: 7/10 Journey Into Imagination is a fairly standard trope of Armchair Imagineerimg.

Detail: 6/10 Again, fairly rushed.

Realism: 6/10 It would have helped in this regard had you not themed it so closely around the Marvel comic. That obviously limits the demographic that would be familiar with this

Presentation: 6/10 Paragraph breaks are life!

Total: 25/40

@Flippin'Flounder

Creativity: 7/10 Inside Out is a hot property right now, but obviously due to the nature of the IP great things can be done.

Detail: 2/10 What detail?

Realism: 8/10 Besides the boat being called "The Bong", it seems like something that would fit ;)

Presentation: 8/10 What was there was very well done. Nice use of multi-colored text.

@IDInstitute

Creativity: 7/10 Like I said, JII is a bit obvious.

Detail: 9/10 A lot of substance here.

Realism: 8/10 Yep, a JII flat ride seems like a no brainer.

Presentation: 9/10 Hey, it might not be the best concept art, but I appreciate the effort ;)

Total: 33/40

I'll tally up our combined scores as soon as @JokersWild finishes his reviews. Good luck Houseguests!

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
My mistake. I had the text box open in multiple different windows so I must have posted in one where your review wasn't done yet.

@GMR710

Creativity: 10/10 Absolutely LOVE the two rides in one element here. Easily the most creative of all the presentations this round in my opinion.

Detail: 8/10 Everything was super well explained...EXCEPT why this went into Animal Kingdom. That very placement is the Achille's Heel of your project.

Realism: 5/10 Love it as a concept, might be tricky to pull off in execution. And the park placement is straight whack, YO! :p

Presentation: 9/10 Excellent reference photos

Total: 32/40

JokersWild

@mickeyfan5534 - Trips to Imagination
Interesting idea. Really all I have to say about this is that I would have liked more detail. I like the direction it took (though I feel as though you could have gone a little deeper into the comic, since you were basing it off of that), but this really just needed detail. My only real concern is that I'm not sure if Dreamfinder would fit in the Imagination pavilion as it stands today. Though we all dream that Dreamfinder will return, we still, in these projects, have to adhere to reality to some extent.

Good proposal! I just wish it was fleshed out a bit more.
Creativity: 8/10 - Pretty creative. Definitely some good ideas in here.
Detail: 5.5/10 - Definitely could have used some more detail.
Realism: 7/10 - Not terribly unrealistic. Im not entirely sure where this would be placed, but there should possibly be room in the pavilion to fit it. Dreamfinder not being a part of the current Imagination pavilion is still a concern to me.
Presentation: 6/10 - As tiki said, paragraphs. I would have liked a few more pictures perhaps to bring the idea home.
Total: 26.5/40

@GMR710 - The Twister
This might be my favorite concept of the night. You really captured the essence of the twister scene from Wizard of Oz. I really love that the spinner travels upward as guests ride - it's just a really cool twist to such an off-the-shelf attraction. I also absolutely love that parents wait in Dorothy's house. It really gives purpose to the scenery of the attraction. Incredible, well-rounded attraction.
Creativity: 10/10 - Great job. Wizard of Oz was a really interesting choice, and the direction you took it was incredible.
Detail: 8/10 - Great amount of detail. No questions were really left unanswered.
Realism: 9/10 - Nothing was really unrealistic. I had no problems with anything in your project, realism-wise.
Presentation: 8/10 - Fine presentation. Pictures were very nice, and it was very easy to follow.
Total: 35/40

@Flippin'Flounder - Spinside Out
First of all, beautiful name for your attraction.

Second, wow...The Bong. That was a bit of an oversight. Though, of course, you could chalk it up to childish naiveté on Riley's part which just makes it all the more charming, but I know that I'm overthinking it. I can dream.

Thirdly, I don't have a ton to say because there isn't a ton here to judge. You only really have three sentences on what your ride is. While it sounds great, I don't really have a feel for your attraction as you don't really explain a ton about it.
Creativity: 7/10 - Inside Out isn't the most original idea, but I do very much like that you didn't make the vehicles look like memories.
Detail: 5/10 - You lost me. While statistics are great, I don't really have a feel for your attraction.
Realism: 9/10 - Probably the most realistic concept here, honestly, if only because it's Inside Out-based.
Presentation: 6/10 - My only real problem here is that some of your text colors are a bit hard to read.
Total: 27/40

@IDInstitute - Figment's Dream Catcher
Really charming ride. I think it fits in with the pavilion rather well. As with Mickeyfan, I'm not entirely sure about Dreamfinder being present, but you did mention that it was part of a pavilion overhaul, so I assume that Dreamfinder has returned.

I absolutely love that the vehicles are Dreamcatchers. That's a really great, natural ride vehicle.

Overall, the attraction looks great. I love its' placement, its' look, and I love that Figment is the focal point, sitting in the center and talking to guests. It sounds like it would be a great experience.
Creativity: 9/10 - I love what you did with it. Dreamcatchers make for great ride vehicles.
Detail: 8/10 - Great amount of detail.
Realism: 8/10 - Nothing was really unrealistic. Everything looked pretty solid.
Presentation: 7/10 - Fine presentation. The pictures were...um...nice :p. Everything was fine. It was easy to read, and understand, definitely.
Total: 32/40

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
And the combined totals are...

1. @GMR710 67/80
2. @IDInstitute 65/80
3. @DisneyManOne 59/80
4. @gilm0114 58/80
5. @Brer Panther 55.5/80
6. @Flippin'Flounder 52/80
7. @mickeyfan5534 51/80

Did Not Submit
@DisneyPrincess1993
@ToInfinityAndBeyond
@brinneydee

Congratulations @GMR710, you have become the new Head of Household!

In addition to @DisneyPrincess1993 who will receive a penalty nomination, you must select two other houseguests to nominate this week. This week is a double eviction, so the two highest number of votes out of the three nominees at the end of the week will be sent packing.

Lastly, we came up with a twist to make the outgoing HoH more of an active participant. From this point forth, all outgoing Heads of Household will grant a Nomination Immunity to the houseguest of their choice. This houseguest is safe from being put up by the Head of Household during initial nominations, but is still vulnerable to being put up as a replacement nominee should the Veto be used.

This week, outgoing Head of Household @Basketbuddy101 has selected @gilm0114 to receive the first Nomination Immunity.

@GMR710, please make your two nominations as soon as possible. If done tonight then I can pick players for the Veto competition and we can get rolling on that.

Good luck going forward this week houseguests. Also as a reminder, PLEASE INCLUDE ME IN ALL STRATEGY-RELATED CONVERSATIONS.

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
Week Two Power of Veto Competition
Ride: The Movie

pirates-caribbean-5-spoilers-no-monsters-johnny-depp-starrer-movie-says-producer.jpg

For this round's Veto competition, players will be pitching a film based on a theme park attraction from any Disney Park. The only properties that are off limits are Pirates of the Caribbean, The Haunted Mansion, The Country Bears, and the Hollywood Tower Hotel version of Tower of Terror. (The Hightower version is fair game...) You must pitch a director, a main actor and/or actress as well as additional casting if you wish, and lay out a synopsis of the plot. Any trailers/posters/concept art you want to include will count towards your presentation grade. Good luck houseguests, this project is due Monday, August 3rd at 10:00 PM Eastern.

Houseguests participating in this project are Head of Household @GMR710, nominees @DisneyPrincess1993, @ToInfinityAndBeyond, and @brinneydee, and @DisneyManOne, @gilm0114, and @Brer Panther.

The winner of the Power of Veto competition will earn the power to pull one of the three nominees off the block. If a nominee is pulled down, @GMR710 must name a replacement nominee. As a reminder this week will be a double eviction and the two nominees with the highest number of votes at the end of the round will be evicted, so play hard to earn your spot in the house going forward!

Also, note my avatar for a clue to next week's Head of Household competition!

JokersWild

You guys are more than welcome to write up a project. I'll judge it, and I'm sure tiki would do the same, as we mentioned in the veto video. It just won't really count for anything game-wise/ .

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom