Marvel teases a Journey into Imagination comic

Clamman73

Guys......don't read too much into this.

The comic is a great tool to introduce these beloved characters of yore to a new generation...which was part of the goal of starting the series to begin with.

I would not read any more into it then that at this point.....but who knows what the future may bring.
Good to keep a open mind, but also be wary of letting your affection for them blind you.

I'm all for having them return to the Park.
Have been for ages. They never should have left, period.
But i don't see this 'teaser' as anything more then just a lovely way to start off the second series of a popular comic book series.

Not trying to throw a wet blanket on the enthusiasm...it's great to see!....but one has to remain realistic even when they may have a overactive imagination.
;)
There goes my weekend...
image.jpg

JohnD

Guys......don't read too much into this.

The comic is a great tool to introduce these beloved characters of yore to a new generation...which was part of the goal of starting the series to begin with.

I would not read any more into it then that at this point.....but who knows what the future may bring.
Good to keep a open mind, but also be wary of letting your affection for them blind you.

I'm all for having them return to the Park.
Have been for ages. They never should have left, period.
But i don't see this 'teaser' as anything more then just a lovely way to start off the second series of a popular comic book series.

Not trying to throw a wet blanket on the enthusiasm...it's great to see!....but one has to remain realistic even when they may have a overactive imagination.
;)

"If you can dream it, you can do it."

Brer Panther

So, this is essentially just like the Dreamfinder merchandise we've had...

"We know getting rid of him was a mistake. But we won't bring him back YET, not when we have a clownfish and two princesses to cash in on! So give us our money and buy this t-shirt!"

(Also, why does everyone say that Figment should be brought back, too? He IS back)

FigmentJedi

Original Poster
(Also, why does everyone say that Figment should be brought back, too? He IS back)
Probably from how out of character he seems in the current ride.

At any rate, they're taking more notice of these comics sales then any of the other merch with Dreamfinder. Like Iger's shocked they're even selling so well and that these characters actually have a wider audience then he thought.

LieutLaww

Hello There
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
Read series 1 before bed last night, thought it was excellent, oh i hope i can get a plushy Figment to add to my geek/nerd collection that sits around the PC :p

Haymarket2008

The comic book was fantastic. Despite being pretty good elements, the weird Avatar-esque people and that fat dragon thing felt REALLY out of place. But the whole origin story of Dreamfinder (the majority of the book) gave me goosebumps. Seeing toddler Dreamfinder thinking up an imaginary friend (Figment) was really moving. Loved it. What amazing characters. And the art they've released for Figment 2 rocks.

FigmentJedi

Original Poster
The comic book was fantastic. Despite being pretty good elements, the weird Avatar-esque people and that fat dragon thing felt REALLY out of place. But the whole origin story of Dreamfinder (the majority of the book) gave me goosebumps. Seeing toddler Dreamfinder thinking up an imaginary friend (Figment) was really moving. Loved it. What amazing characters. And the art they've released for Figment 2 rocks.
The Sound Sprites are inspired by the Fairies in the Literature room of the original ride. As for Chimera, she's basically an oversized Fuzzball.
fuzzball.jpg

Figments Friend

No, he is not really....at least not the REAL Figment fans who have known him from the beginning would consider to be.
Let me explain....

The 'Figment' in the current Attraction is not the lovable, playfully curious, and impish little joy fans met and instantly embraced from the Original 'JII' Attraction.
He had a great little personality that had real appeal, and we wanted to ride along and find out what happened next.
The little purple dragon came to represent that anything is possible if you put your mind to something.
He inspired and empowered not only your imagintion, but you personally.
Just like the Original Attraction did.
That was the 'Real Figment'...Dreamfinder's creation, and he was permanently removed when the Original Attraction was closed.

The 'Figment' in the current Attraction is a completely different personality.
Instead of a charming, fun, and creative little fellow you want to spend time with and explore the world with, we instead meet a hyperactive, annoying little pest who harasses Dr. Channing and even the visiting Guests.
There is little appeal to this character outside of slapstick comedy attempts.
He 'skunk farts' on Guests for crying out loud!
His attitude and general annoyance makes us want to get away from him...not embrace him or his 'message'.
That is the 'Figment' that resides at the Pavilion today.

So to review -
The reason why fans want 'Figment back' is this - They yearn for the spirit of the Original back.
They want the character they knew previously who inspired and delighted.
The one who had real appeal and you took some inspiration from.
It also should be said that saying 'i want Figment back' can also mean wanting to see a worthy Imagination Pavilion Attraction back in the building.
The versions installed since the removal of the Original are disappointing and not very imaginative, to put it mildly.

The purple dragon currently harassing Guests at EPCOT today is NOT the 'Figment' the fans know and love.
He may LOOK like Figment...but he is definitely not.
Two completely different personalities and executions of the character.

The popularity of the Figment character, and the comic series, is directly tied to the success of the Original Attraction.
It's people like me who remember that time, and remember those Original characters, that buy the current related merchandise and comic books.
That's why Figment merch SELLS - it's the memory of the past, certainly not the current Figment that drives those sales.
Nobody would care about that purple dragon if the Original never existed.
It's the longtime 'Original' fans that keep the flame going...hoping that little dragon we knew and loved returns to form.

Here's hoping.....

-

Last edited:

Figments Friend

The comic book was fantastic. Despite being pretty good elements, the weird Avatar-esque people and that fat dragon thing felt REALLY out of place.

Agree, those elements seemed to me to not be really necessary.
Same goes for the robotic villain.
Not really sure why the writers felt adding those elements were necessary.
They were just.......there.
They were not particularly imaginative or plot advancing in my opinion either.
Interesting to learn that the Sound Sprites were inspired by the fairies in the Original Attraction, however.

Here's hoping the 2nd Series focuses more on Dreamfinder's story...and his personal development.
Perhaps even a little backstory on some of his other creations.

-

Cmdr_Crimson

No, he is not really....at least not the REAL Figment fans who have known him from the beginning would consider to be.
Let me explain....

The 'Figment' in the current Attraction is not the lovable, playfully curious, and impish little joy fans met and instantly embraced from the Original 'JII' Attraction.
He had a great little personality that had real appeal, and we wanted to ride along and find out what happened next.
The little purple dragon came to represent that anything is possible if you put your mind to something.
He inspired and empowered not only your imagintion, but you personally.
Just like the Original Attraction did.
That was the 'Real Figment'...Dreamfinder's creation, and he was permanently removed when the Original Attraction was closed.

Instead of a charming, fun, and creative little fellow you want to spend time with and explore the world with, we instead meet a hyperactive, annoying little pest who harasses Dr. Channing and even the visiting Guests.
His attitude and general annoyance makes us want to get away from him...not embrace him or his 'message'.

So to review -
The reason why fans want 'Figment back' is this - They yearn for the spirit of the Original back.
They want the character they knew previously who inspired and delighted.
The one who had real appeal and you took some inspiration from.
It also should be said that saying 'i want Figment back' can also mean wanting to see a worthy Imagination Pavilion Attraction back in the building.
The versions installed since the removal of the Original are disappointing and not very imaginative, to put it mildly.

The purple dragon currently harassing Guests at EPCOT today is NOT the 'Figment' the fans know and love.
He may LOOK like Figment...but he is definitely not.
Two completely different personalities and executions of the character.

The popularity of the Figment character, and the comic series, is directly tied to the success of the Original Attraction.
It's people like me who remember that time, and remember those Original characters, that buy the current related merchandise and comic books.
That's why Figment merch SELLS - it's the memory of the past, certainly not the current Figment that drives those sales.
Nobody would care about that purple dragon if the Original never existed.
It's the longtime 'Original' fans that keep the flame going...hoping that little dragon we knew and loved returns to form.

Here's hoping.....

-

Yep..That's why Nigel Channing says that Figment is one of there Discoveries. Not A Creation...

Figments Friend

Yep..That's why Nigel Channing says that Figment is one of there Discoveries. Not A Creation...

So one has to wonder.....

Where did he 'discover' him...?

In the upstairs, abandoned Image Works?
In the dumpsters out back, with all the gutted remains of the Original Attraction...?
Hanging around in the Imagnation Pavilion restroom...listening with tears in his eyes to the original theme music playing in there...?

Inquiring minds want to know !
:D

-

Brer Panther

My guess is that they were trying to go for a "Bugs Bunny" type thing with him, but it just came across as awkward... I'll be honest, I still find his antics kind of funny ("You win one SCENT!").

I did notice a few points in the comic where he kind of lapses into his current personality.

3920242-3+figment2014002_int2.jpg

In the middle panel, he says "You talk too much". But I still find it funny.

Mike S

My guess is that they were trying to go for a "Bugs Bunny" type thing with him, but it just came across as awkward... I'll be honest, I still find his antics kind of funny ("You win one SCENT!").

I did notice a few points in the comic where he kind of lapses into his current personality.

3920242-3+figment2014002_int2.jpg

In the middle panel, he says "You talk too much". But I still find it funny.
I find the middle top one funnier.

"If you don't mind, it doesn't matter!!!" :hilarious:

Man I have to read the rest of this. One day I'll buy the hardcover.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom