Cruise tips

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
I am already in a panic about the cruise anyway because we have never gone on a cruise before as a family. (I did once when I was 17 but I handled NONE of the money). The idea of "hidden" costs completely scares me to death here. I know that there are costs associated with excursions, taxi services, etc... but I do not want to get that bill at the end and see a huge amount we owe.

I got the following information on some Disney Cruise site: (Is this not accurate or did I read it wrong?)

Resturant Server
$12.00 (per person per day)
Resturant Assistant Server
$9.00 (per person per day)
Head Server
$3.00 (per person per day)
Stateroom Host(ess)
$12.00 (per person per day)

For our group this would total: $324

Other than room service and bell services what else would we tip for?

Tips for alcohol, smoothies, and anything up-charge has gratuities added automatically. On the three DCL trips we have done in the last 20 months we have ALWAYS ended up leaving extra. The wait staff got an extra $20 per person, and the Mater D received an additional $10 per person. On each of them they went WELL above and beyond what the other cruise lines have offered in terms of quality service and even entertainment. My parents in May left an extra $50 or so per and this was their first DCL trip. They are literally JUST that good and care about your enjoyment from service to food to atmosphere. Their expressions of graciousness are unrivaled and we really felt like we helped/touched them by acknowledging how much effort they put forth. With the majority of them being from what we would call upper third-world it means the world to them.

Our hosts have always gotten an added $20 or so person. They make it known that your enjoyment is their priority all the way down to the final night with ensuring your luggage gets carried off and you have enough Customs forms.

@G00fyDad I tend to get motion sick on occasion, but I have never felt at all nauseated on a Disney Cruise. The ship's stabilizer's work fairly well. I was concerned on my first voyage, but since it was never an issue, its not something I concern myself with anymore. Your experiences may vary.

Heck yea Dream is SMOOTH! At times there can be some trampolining port to starB but that is the stabilizers just doing their job preventing it from being more extreme (directed to others who may not know, not you :p ). Now in January on MAGIC the night of the 6th was pretty rocky as was most of the day on the 7th. The night of the 7th into the morning of the 8th was unworldly rocky (the night the guy went overboard and we picked him up on the morning of the 8th). Not having stabilizers is most definitely noticeable but at the same time being rocked at night like that made for some amazing sleeping.

kelknight84

Tips for alcohol, smoothies, and anything up-charge has gratuities added automatically. On the three DCL trips we have done in the last 20 months we have ALWAYS ended up leaving extra. The wait staff got an extra $20 per person, and the Mater D received an additional $10 per person. On each of them they went WELL above and beyond what the other cruise lines have offered in terms of quality service and even entertainment. My parents in May left an extra $50 or so per and this was their first DCL trip. They are literally JUST that good and care about your enjoyment from service to food to atmosphere. Their expressions of graciousness are unrivaled and we really felt like we helped/touched them by acknowledging how much effort they put forth. With the majority of them being from what we would call upper third-world it means the world to them.

Our hosts have always gotten an added $20 or so person. They make it known that your enjoyment is their priority all the way down to the final night with ensuring your luggage gets carried off and you have enough Customs forms.

Heck yea Dream is SMOOTH! At times there can be some trampolining port to starB but that is the stabilizers just doing their job preventing it from being more extreme (directed to others who may not know, not you :p ). Now in January on MAGIC the night of the 6th was pretty rocky as was most of the day on the 7th. The night of the 7th into the morning of the 8th was unworldly rocky (the night the guy went overboard and we picked him up on the morning of the 8th). Not having stabilizers is most definitely noticeable but at the same time being rocked at night like that made for some amazing sleeping.

I'm glad your servers were fantastic because the 1 Disney cruise we went on our wait staff was TERRIBLE every single night. One poor girl at our table never got her food and the guy told her the kitchen was now closed, too bad.

MaryJaneP

Our service staff on multiple DCL cruises were exceptional and tipping them for a great cruise was our pleasure. We also feared surprise charges appearing mysteriously on our stateroom account at the end of the cruise. We kept a sharp eye on this by frequently visiting guest services, which is open 24 hours per day, and reviewed all charges on our account. Also, food is available 24 hours a day via room service, so everybody had plenty to eat. Do not fear, you will hopefully have plenty to enjoy.

Bolna

Not having stabilizers is most definitely noticeable but at the same time being rocked at night like that made for some amazing sleeping.

Oh, the classic ships have stabilizers, too.

Look at this picture from the Magic in dry dock, you can see where the stabilizer comes out below the water line:

Disney-Magic-Starboard-Stabilizer-500x500.jpg

It is all a question of the weather. I have done three cruises on the classic ships and one on the Fantasy and the Fantasy cruise was by far the cruise which had the most motion.

StageFrenzy

Look at this picture from the Magic in dry dock, you can see where the stabilizer comes out below the water line:

It is all a question of the weather. I have done three cruises on the classic ships and one on the Fantasy and the Fantasy cruise was by far the cruise which had the most motion.
Were the seas in similar condition?

MaryJaneP

Because weather affects the condition of seas a ship is passing through, we think it is fair to infer from the condition that it is a question of weather, that the seas were not in similar condition, but we could be wrong.

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member

Ah, yes! That's right! Baby stabs! Thanks for oversight there. You would think I would recall that from when we could see it in DD in Norfolk Where was your Fantasy trip to? I know the Gulf/Carib Sea transition is typically rough as is the Carib Sea itself once off coast, and only gets worse when weather is extremely windy (the case in January when we plucked the Oasis dude out of the water).

Maelstrom Troll

Thank you for all of this information. It really helps. :D

We have to stick with the 3 night trip because my wife gets motion sick in a car and we want as few days as possible for our first cruise in case she gets sick. I am sure they have an infirmary with an onboard doctor right? Maybe she can get some Zofran if she gets sick. I just want to minimize the days she has "ruined" if she is completely ill the entire time on the ship. LOL

I totally understand your anxiety over the hidden costs! We followed a very similar plan to the above and it all worked out. My alcohol and bingo costs were the big surprise ;) As far as the motion sickness is concerned, scopolamine patches work well and you can always bring Zofran for breakthrough nausea. I have pretty severe motion sickness and didn't required anything on my three night cruise to Nassau, etc. I didn't really feel the ship move until after I got OFF the ship.

LSUmagic

I dont know if someone already mentioned it but you can also pre-pay your gratuities through your travel agent. We always like to have this done before hand. That way we have already paid it off before we get on-board. You will get a slip with the amount you prepaid to place in their envelope the last night. If you feel their service was exceptional and deserved more than you can add more.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom