Fun with Google Earth

Nick Wilde

A lot of people were asking why there was a giant hidden mickey made out of trees in clermont. that area was owned by Disney and Disney made it. In 1982 to celebrate the opening of EPCOT Center, they got tons of CM's together to plant them and it was actually featured on the local news a lot. surprised a lot of people dont know about it. type in "Hidden Mickey Clue 94 of Ch. 7" to find it

EdC

Awesome!! Is there any reason behind this hidden mickey???
Not sure, but here is the property information from Lake County GIS: http://gis.lakecountyfl.gov/gisweb/default.aspx?altkey=1594596

Looks like it was owned by Reedy Creek back in the '80s. Probably why the mickey is there!
Edit 2: Looks like the land was originally bought back in 1964 (Lake County Record PDF). So this land might have been an alternate site for WDW, or just happened to be for sale at the same time.

Belongs to 'Lake Louisa, LLC' now. Land is designated as protected lowlands/wetlands in the county comprehensive plan.
http://www.lakecountyfl.gov/departm..._and_community_design/comprehensive_planning/

Last edited:

tlking88

[QUOTE="MrMorrowTom, post: 4163673, member: 70571

Plus anyone see the old River Country water park off of Bay Lake. Its just sitting there wasting away. Could of really did something there too.[/QUOTE]
Just looked at there...

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Don't forget the old STOL air port next to the TTC.

Over the decades it is amazing what they have used the landing strip for. I love that is remains. Every trip I look to see what it is being currently be used for. One year there was roller coaster track being delivered and held there.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Fun stuff!

As a cast member I would wander all around wdw property. I found cool shortcuts, doors that lead to places that I probably shouldn't have gone into...lotsa really cool stuff! Google earth only shows you the stuff on the surface...there is a lot more to be found when you can walk all over. :D

My son enjoys getting around the parks quickly through the backstage areas of the parks, cuts down on time walking when you can walk directly backstage. He isn't a big fan of the tunnels in the MK, he says it makes him think of being in a sewer underground.

yensid67

Awesome!! Is there any reason behind this hidden mickey???

Actually there is a reason...according to a TV special I saw, they were forestry students planting trees as part of a conservation program(at least that's what they program said) or something like that

DancingPhoenix

I had read in an article that the "Mickey Forest" was something CM's did, like Aaron O said. The article I read was that it was for Earth Day though, not for the opening of Epcot.

As many times as I've peeked at the Google Earth pictures I've never thought about doing the 3D viewing! Now I'm going to be playing with that constantly :)

MagicHappens1971

1. Ever realize how close cars are to main street usa? that parked right behind the buildings down main street. I wondered what would happen if a car alarm went off by accident, never heard it but im sure people in the park would.

2. There are alot of backstage areas that disney covers up great because i never knew they existed.

3. The haunted mansion is tiny compared to the building the ride takes place in.
The Haunted Mansions building houses all the ride controls for MK.

raven

What's in the building in the empty space between Germany and Italy? Jeez, there's a lot of wasted expansion space in WS

Actually, all of those buildings backstage are used on a daily basis. the buildings between Germany & Italy were originally for Magic Music Days but they are now offices for big events (F&W, F&G and other events).

KikoKea

I feel much better now that I know I'm not alone in my Google Map addiction! Amazing views- I love poking about places...WDW included.
I was actually looking around earlier before I saw this thread. Sure gives me a better idea of how the parks are placed in relation to one another and I find it interesting how they use space, hide backstage areas and roads. I never knew there was a road running under the waterway leading to the back gate of Epcot (near France)- the Epcot Resort Blvd (public) and the Avenue of the Stars.

lukacseven

Don't forget about Bing maps. Quite useful, too. Especially when you choose the Bird's Eye view. :)
If you use Bing Maps and exit the "preview" (back to the original) and zoom in Bird's Eye on the parking lot area to the right of Spaceship Earth, you can see the Marathon finish line & secure areas from the race. You can also trace the yellow cones backwards through a lot of the property and see parts of the race course.
What's in the building in the empty space between Germany and Italy? Jeez, there's a lot of wasted expansion space in WS
I did some research (there's also probably something posted in one of the other forums) regarding the spaces between countries in WS...There are actually spaces in the original design to accommodate 8 additional countries. The reason these have not been developed is that they require a large financial commitment from the tourism board of the country represented. Disney cannot simply add countries without their consent and endorsement. I'm not certain if this is still the case today, but there was a push many years ago to add countries and for financial and political reasons, no suitors could be found.

ArtificialArtist

If you use Bing Maps and exit the "preview" (back to the original) and zoom in Bird's Eye on the parking lot area to the right of Spaceship Earth, you can see the Marathon finish line & secure areas from the race. You can also trace the yellow cones backwards through a lot of the property and see parts of the race course.

You can still see that? Those Sat pics haven't been updated in a while then.

1stWDW96'

Yes, I'm quoting myself rather than editing...

My CM contact said it's not (nor ever was) any kind of training ground for safari drivers.

My guess is that the trails existed from long ago, and there are some CMs in-the-know who have access and just use them for fun offroading now. People like security, RCFD, Reedy Creek utility people (there's a cell tower and high-tension lines nearby).

-Rob

It could be where they cultivate trees

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom