Trip Report I must have WDW fever!? (completed)

Hey WDWMagic friends! My name is Kim and I've never attempted to write a trip report before. I do read them all the time, and appreciate them so much between trips. I thought I would try and return the favor. It was also a fantastic trip and I would love to relive it once again. I've been home less than 2 weeks and miss it terribly!

I have to explain the title, "I must have WDW fever". I have had a fever for over a year now that just won't go away! I guess the official name would be Fever of Unknown Origin. This trip was first scheduled for January, then moved to April. I kept rescheduling in hopes that I would be fever free in time to visit Mickey. No such luck. I also had a surgery in between and had to recover from that. Our annual passes were set to expire on July 1st and we needed to go before that. That made this trip from June 22 - July 1st. Yep, I waited for summer in Florida to go with a fever. :)

Trip:
June 22 - July 1st
2 nights at Port Orleans - Riverside (Royal Room) & 7 nights at Pop Century

Who:
My mom (Barb) & I (Kim)
DSC02693.JPG

We both look forward to these trips! It is really perfect because we get along so well and pretty much enjoy the same things.

I hope you'll enjoy reading about our time at the Most Magical Place on Earth!

Last edited:

Nubs70

June 22

The first day of trip is always a little bittersweet for me. The sweet because the day I've been waiting for is finally here. The bitter because I am usually pretty tired because little to no sleep the night before. This trip was no different. I think I got 3 hours of sleep. Who can sleep the night before? I also have to say good-bye to Shenzi, my Golden Retriever. I always hate leaving her, but I get over it a little after I step foot on the plane.

See, doesn't it look like she'd fit in at the parks?
View attachment 100717

Our flight takes off in Grand Rapids, Michigan. We live about 1 1/2 hours away from the airport so not too bad. My aunt lives up in the Grand Rapids area so we leave our car at her house instead of airport parking. It saves us some money and it is always nice to see her. This time we had a 2:10pm flight so this gave us time for a quick lunch at Wendy's together.

View attachment 100718
We had fun talking with her about our plans. My aunt and uncle live in Florida during the winters so she was excited for us. My mom was almost too nervous/excited to eat but I managed. Before long, it was time to head for the Gerald R. Ford International Airport. I love this airport because it is so small and easy.
View attachment 100719
One the way we noticed that the skies were started to darken and wind was picking up. My uncle called us and said that a thunderstorm with chance of tornados was coming in quicker that originally forecasted for. Nothing like adding to the excitement to departure day. Once my aunt dropped us off we went inside and took a few pictures before going through security.
View attachment 100720

View attachment 100721
We were trying not to worry about the weather changing our plans. Our flight still said on-time so no worries. We got through security quickly and went to sit and wait. While waiting for our flight I got a text saying our room ready! We were at Riverside room number 9412 on the 3rd floor. Sounded perfect to me! The storm did delay us, but only for about 20 minutes or so. They couldn't fuel our plane until the lightning had passed.

Once we were all fueled up we were on our way to MCO! We would be landing in Orlando in just 2 1/2 hours. :)
View attachment 100723
You all must be from Cadillac area

disneypearl

Original Poster
June 26

Today we went to Disney Hollywood Studios. We had our Fastpass+ reservations scheduled for the afternoon so we ate our breakfast in our room. There was no need to rush but we still like to hurry and get to the parks. We got to the bus stop and waited for what seemed longer than usual so we took some pictures to keep us entertained.
IMG_1343.JPG

IMG_1346.JPG

IMG_1353 (2).JPG

The bus came and we were on our way. We were glad the sun was shining on this visit to DHS.
IMG_1355.JPG

IMG_1357.JPG

I wanted a picture of DHS's Grauman's Chinese Theatre and because of the Frozen stage I couldn't get one with the street. So I went past the stage and took one at an angle. It's pretty good. I wonder if they will move the stage or take it down at slower times?
IMG_1360.JPG

I was a little surprised on the wait times already. We didn't get there at opening but not too long after. We walked to check out Tower of Terror and Rock 'n' Roller Coaster but as expected the wait times were pretty long. We'd come back later for those. The Great Movie Ride was already at 40 minutes as well. We figured that we had better just get in line. The line however was out in the sun and so we lasted about 5 minutes before changing our mind. That's another thing we'd save for later. We got some water and thought about what to do next. The new plan was for my mom to go to Star Tours while I went to see Muppet Vision 3D.
DSC02665.JPG

IMG_1361.JPG

We met at the store by Muppet Vision 3D after we were both finished. They had some nice Muppet items but nothing that I needed to buy. I looked for something Sam the Eagle but nothing there. It would've been cool to have something of him for the 4th of July. Maybe next year.
IMG_1365.JPG

IMG_1366.JPG

Last edited:

Nubs70

Yes, the flights can be pretty high but not always. Sometimes just changing flights a day one way or the other helps though.

No, we are in the Kalamazoo area.
Kazoo and 90 min to GR?? You can do that in 45-50 min. BTW.. I am from Hudsonville and service accounts in Battle Creek and a little bit on N pitcher st in Kzoo.

disneypearl

Original Poster
Kazoo and 90 min to GR?? You can do that in 45-50 min. BTW.. I am from Hudsonville and service accounts in Battle Creek and a little bit on N pitcher st in Kzoo.

That's true, it can be a shorter drive. We live south of Kalamazoo in Portage. I have a cousin who lives close to Hudsonville in Borculo.

disneypearl

Original Poster
June 26 continued

Being so close to Pizza Planet we decided to have an early lunch. It wasn't too crowded in the restaurant so we didn't have to wait very long. We really like eating at Pizza Planet and enjoy the pizza. For some reason we always go and sit on the second floor.
IMG_1367 (2).JPG

IMG_1369.JPG

IMG_1370.JPG

After our lunch we were ready to go back and get in line for the Great Movie Ride. This time the line was 30 minutes so the line wasn't so far out in the sun. We were happy to wait for the ride now. We liked the new changes to the pre show and got to view the Wizard of Oz part.
IMG_1379.JPG

IMG_1381.JPG

IMG_1383 (2).JPG

My mom and I enjoy this ride and have watched a few of the movies shown at home because it. We usually get the gangster scene and this time was no different.
IMG_1386.JPG

After the ride was over we were feeling like we could be stars too! :cool::cool:
DSC02680.JPG

IMG_1400.JPG

IMG_1399.JPG

Last edited:

disneypearl

Original Poster
June 26 continued

After walking out of Pizza Planet we could hear the familiar songs of Mulch, Sweat, & Shears. We love listening to them play so we went over to the Streets of America for some yard rock. I have to admit that I was a little disappointed that Morris Mulch wasn't there but someone else was leading the band. I guess Morris Mulch had the day off. She was great too though and we enjoyed our time with the band. I hope that Mulch, Sweat, & Shears will survive the changes at DHS.
DSC02681.JPG

IMG_1401.JPG

IMG_1403.JPG

We were ready for a treat and our go to place at DHS is The Writer's Stop. It's always relaxing in there and the perfect place to recharge. A Goofy's Glacier and cookie are the perfect combination of tasty. I asked for my drink to be mixed of cherry and blue raspberry. My mom heard this and got one just like it. I got the Mickey sugar cookie and my mom went with the white chocolate chip cookie.
IMG_1411.JPG

IMG_1409.JPG

DSC02690.JPG

After our snack we went on our way to Pixar Place. Our first Fastpass+ of the day was for Toy Story Midway Mania. I always win this against my mom and I take great pride in this. It's funny because we have the Wii game at home and she always beats on that. I always win at WDW though so I think the victory there is more important. :)
IMG_1416.JPG

DSC02697.JPG

Not my highest score, but still a victory!! :D
IMG_1421.JPG

IMG_1424.JPG

disneypearl

Original Poster
June 26 continued

After Toy Story Midway Mania we remembered how Hiro and Baymax were in the Magic of Disney Animation . We weren't sure exactly on the times they were there but thought we would walk over and give it a try.
IMG_1425.JPG

We had great timing because Hiro and Baymax were not out but a cast member said that they would be out in 40 minutes. There was only a handful or so of people ahead of us so I thought that was pretty good. While in line my mom took a picture of someone she says I share a personality with, Wasabi. :happy:
DSC02711.JPG

Then it was time for us to meet Hiro and Baymax. Hiro was super sweet and Baymax was just as you would expect. We each did the fist bump with Baymax along with us making the Balalalala sound. It was great meeting this duo. I think it was extra special to me seeing Baymax is a personal healthcare companion and I have that pesky fever. Too bad he didn't scan me because I'm sure he could have solved my fever mystery. :inlove:
DSC02713 (2).JPG

It's a shame that they were not selling any Big Hero 6 merchandise because I would have gotten something.

It was time for our next Fastpass+ so we made our way to Star Tours. I again sat this one out and gave my mom my Magic Band so she could ride it twice. I walked around Tatooine Traders and decided that I needed to build a droid and that my mom should too. When she was finished riding she agreed that it would be fun.
IMG_1437.JPG

Mine is mostly orange and mom's is mostly red.
IMG_1441.JPG

It was getting close to our Tower of Terror Fastpass+. I love this ride, my mom not so much. I hold my hands up, she holds on tightly. I think she does love it but always gets nervous. This rides theming is very believable. :inlove: & :jawdrop:
IMG_1443.JPG

IMG_1444.JPG

IMG_1445.JPG

IMG_1449.JPG

fractal

Wonderful report and pictures. I love how you didn't let all the rain slow you down or dampen your spirits! I'm also a fan of Mulch, Sweat and Shears.

disneypearl

Original Poster
Still following along. How much does it cost to build a droid? It looks fun but I am very frugal.
So happy that you are still reading! I think the droids were 13.95 for one and 21.95 for two. They were fun to make though and they had some good hats to pick from.

Wonderful report and pictures. I love how you didn't let all the rain slow you down or dampen your spirits! I'm also a fan of Mulch, Sweat and Shears.
Thanks for your comment! My pictures are nice and I have fun taking them, but your pictures are really great! Rain won't bother us as it just adds to the memory. Mulch, Sweat, and Shears is so much fun. Sometimes I'll hear a song and I'll think of them singing it and not the original singer.

disneypearl

Original Poster
June 26 continued

After the Tower of Terror my mom and I went to go check on the wait for single riders on Rock 'n' Roller Coaster. This is another one that I need to sit out on. I wish I didn't get motion sickness so I could ride these rides. I like both Star Wars and Aerosmith. I just don't want to get that pressure headache and feeling like something is off so I just skip them. Hopefully the changes to DHS will bring more rides I can enjoy. We were happy to see that the wait was pretty short for single riders. I went and got an ice water while my mom got a ride in a stretch limo to the Aerosmith concert. When my water was gone I went and waited for the limo to arrive. My mom was happy because she got a seat near the back and could see the whole limo. She said it was just light enough for her to see what was up ahead.
DSC02722.JPG

IMG_1451.JPG

It was time for our dinner reservation at the Sci-Fi Dine-In Theater. We love the theming of this restaurant and I love watching the move clips. It would be so fun to watch these movies in their entirety. Are these even real movies? We each ordered a cheeseburger & fries with diet Cokes and flashing ice cubes. It's our tradition to get the color changing ice cubes when we come here. :D
IMG_1456.JPG

IMG_1467.JPG

IMG_1473.JPG

IMG_1462.JPG

IMG_1479.JPG

After we finished up our dinner we went back to The Great Movie Ride. We once again got the gangster scene and that was fine. This was a great way to relax after a delicious meal at Sci-Fi.
IMG_1395.JPG

IMG_1396.JPG

We went outside and looked at the footprints of the stars after our tour of the movies. It's always interesting to see who you will find.
IMG_1493.JPG

disneypearl

Original Poster
June 26 continued

We wandered over to One Man's Dream. This is such a fun place to explore and appreciate. I hope they are able to move this to another spot at WDW if the changes at DHS calls for its removal.
IMG_1505.JPG

IMG_1510.JPG

IMG_1512.JPG

IMG_1516.JPG

Unfortunately, we didn't have time to wait for the movie because Fantasmic was next. I have Walt the Man Behind the Myth dvd at home so I felt okay with missing it. It is a good short movie to watch there though and it is a nice way to end One Mans Dream. We just didn't want to get to Fantasmic too late because it was rained out on our first try of this trip

Fantasmic was great! We missed it on our trip last summer so it was nice to see it again. I didn't take too many picture because I just wanted to enjoy it without too many distractions.
IMG_1527.JPG

IMG_1531.JPG

disneypearl

Original Poster
June 26 continued

After Fantasmic we went back to the Tower of Terror and got in line. I was so glad to be able to ride this again because once a trip is not enough.
IMG_1542.JPG

IMG_1533.JPG

IMG_1534.JPG

IMG_1539.JPG

IMG_1544.JPG

I was going to see if we could get back on but it was closed for the night. DHS was closed so we started our way to the bus. We got detoured though and made a stop for some candy at Sweet Spells. I got a few things to take home with me. My mom didn't get anything this time.
IMG_1547 (2).JPG

IMG_1548.JPG

Back at Pop Century we went and got our Rapid Refill mugs from our room and went to Everything Pop Food Court. We filled up our mugs and I got another bag of Mickey pretzels. We talked about our day and relaxed a bit before going back to our room.
IMG_1550.JPG

MRGEFF

June 26 continued

After Fantasmic we went back to the Tower of Terror and got in line. I was so glad to be able to ride this again because once a trip is not enough.
View attachment 104137

View attachment 104134

View attachment 104135

View attachment 104136

View attachment 104138
I was going to see if we could get back on but it was closed for the night. DHS was closed so we started our way to the bus. We got detoured though and made a stop for some candy at Sweet Spells. I got a few things to take home with me. My mom didn't get anything this time.
View attachment 104140

View attachment 104139
Back at Pop Century we went and got our Rapid Refill mugs from our room and went to Everything Pop Food Court. We filled up our mugs and I got another bag of Mickey pretzels. We talked about our day and relaxed a bit before going back to our room.
View attachment 104141
June 26 continued

View attachment 104137

View attachment 104134

View attachment 104135

View attachment 104136

View attachment 104138
View attachment 104140

View attachment 104139
View attachment 104141

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom