Ellen's voice is back in the ride... but her animatronic is probably gone for good.

The Visionary Soul

Original Poster
So, after riding Universe of Energy yesterday, I can tell you that it looks like they made a decision to re-work the "ellen vs. snake-like-creature" sequence permanently. They decided to edit the audio so Ellen is just heard and not seen in that sequence, and the snake-like-creature has been permanently replaced by prehistoric birds.

Not to mention all the other problems with that attraction. The sound proof doors aren't going up in the first scene, the curtains are still missing in theater 2, and the audio system in theater 2 still has major issues, with the main speakers not working. (All the sound is coming from the screen, the overhead speakers... well, I'm not sure what is going on there, I'm not an audio engineer. But the sound is still broken. It's been like this for two years though, so I doubt we'll get a fix for the curtains or the speakers.)

And dare I ever say they move to digital projectors. Ha ha ha ha.

yensidtlaw1969

I'd be willing to be that Energy is the first MAJOR thing to get an overhaul. Despite Imagination not being what everyone wants it to be, it is nowhere near the shape that Energy is in.
I wouldn't mind that. Imagination is a frustrating distraction that takes minimal advantage of the theme's potential. Energy as it currently stands is a barn of an attraction, and even big personalities like Ellen and Bill Nye can't fill it. Plus, the near 45 minute ride time makes it hard to justify when there are only so many hours in the day, unless it's a spectacular presentation like it used to be.

We shouldn't have to wait for either one to get their due, but Energy seems to have less people pushing for it. And these days, a pavilion like Energy can be making a really useful statement (not that Imagination can't). Sorry Ellen, it deserves better.

TalkingHead

I really think they're going to update Energy...

Just as soon as they're finished with Avatar, the Frozen ride, the jaw-dropping Star Wars Land, the Pixar expansion, DHS infrastructure, the Toy Story Frontierland E-ticket, new DVC construction, new Soarin' theater and Midway Mania track, an unavoidable monorail refurb, an updated Act IV in Carousel of Progress, a replacement for Stitch's Great Escape, new Illuminations, new MK fireworks show, new DAK nighttime show, new MK nighttime parade, upgrades for MK's 50th including a spiffy new Space Mountain track, and then there's the "super secret" Imagination project, umm -- anything I'm missing?

Oh yeah, they've also got the SSE descent to finish.

So, yeah, I guess a WDI intern will add "Fix Energy" to the bottom of their WDW to-do list.

Rhinocerous

Premium Member
I also rode it for the first time about a month ago. During the scene with the helicopter (is that Theater 2?) a cast member opened the side door, briefly chatted with somebody in the hallway, went over to the podium in the corner, then left via the same door. It completely took me out of the scene.

Figments Friend

'Universe of Energy' is such a incredible engineering marvel that it is heartbreaking to see it continually be ignored and left to slowly decompose.

It is still a marvel when everything is operational...despite the current Show themes.
It needs a refresh and a complete top-to-bottom, back to front refurbishment of all elements.

I might not be a huge fan of the current presentation, but i am a big fan of the original concept ( Radok screen, 'Traveling Theater' cars, prehistoric dioramam, etc.) and the still present functional operations of the system.
I still find it impressive and amazing when the lights go down and your 'theater cars' start to rotate on that massive air-bag inflated turntable.
When those massive walls move silently...when the fog bank rolls over you as you enter the primeval world.
The overall size and scope of it all.

Over the years much has come to light regarding energy needs, creation, and consumption and a thoroughly engaging and exciting Show COULD be produced and placed in this hulk of a Pavilion if .....and i say 'IF'.....someone somewhere with the Company would let it happen.

Take some time to research it's development and construction and you will gain a better understanding of why it is so sad something with this much potential is just sitting there.
I hope someday the Pavilion gets some major love, and not just by adding a IP.
Go big....or just go home.

Last edited:

Cmdr_Crimson

'Universe of Energy' is such a incredible engineering marvel that it is heartbreaking to see it continually be ignored and left to slowly decompose.
futurama_meme.jpg

misterID

If they aren't embarrassed by having a shuttered pavilion for over a decade nothing will. I mean... It's an exercise in stupidity... Or maybe laziness... Or just not caring. M:S seems like the turning point where they said, "we tried, it's good enough, there you go." Actually, the moment they started tearing out classic rides to make it more kid and teen friendly it went downhill. It's no coincidence and a telling big signal, that a lot of people at WDI do not get EPCOT Center.

TT was relatively an easy refurb that injected some life into it. You can't tell me they can't do the same for UOE, or Imagination. And IMHO, M:S should be considered an expansion plot.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom