Mission:Space lab question

Jmissydj

Original Poster
I have searched all over for this question, so I apologize if somewhere it has been answered multiple times!!

In the queue for Mission: Space, there's a lab where one or two cast members are sitting at computer consoles. Does anyone know what they are doing in there??

ABQ

I have searched all over for this question, so I apologize if somewhere it has been answered multiple times!!

In the queue for Mission: Space, there's a lab where one or two cast members are sitting at computer consoles. Does anyone know what they are doing in there??
A while back I did go through that lab you are referring to. There are some video monitors for the attraction itself, they can see load and unload procedures as well as the spinning arms themselves. Most of what's in there though, is purely for show.

Jmissydj

Original Poster
Thank you for the quick reply!!

Are the people in there purely for show, too, then? One time we went through, one lady was showing another lady how to do something on her screen.. Just wondered if they were actually monitoring something or acting!

JIMINYCR

The seagull crashing scene that appears over and over on the video that you can see on the screens comes from the old Horizons. I have seen guests in there at times, I assumed they were Hewlett Packard guests who had privileges, they have a corporate lounge on the 2nd floor.

ABQ

There are legit cast members in there, but you'll often see others roaming through, I was on the Undiscovered Futureworld tour a few years back when we went through there. As well as the HP lounge above and to the left of the lab, near the rover hanging above.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
The seagull crashing scene that appears over and over on the video that you can see on the screens comes from the old Horizons. I have seen guests in there at times, I assumed they were Hewlett Packard guests who had privileges, they have a corporate lounge on the 2nd floor.
Almost. The bird is from Mission to Mars, not Horizons.

As stated, the desks facing away from guests are the actual ride controls and monitors. They see everything apart from inside the ride capsules.

The front desk is just for show. There's a book on the desk that's for visitors and VIPs to sign. Has some nice comments in there ;)

ABQ

Almost. The bird is from Mission to Mars, not Horizons.

As stated, the desks facing away from guests are the actual ride controls and monitors. They see everything apart from inside the ride capsules.

The front desk is just for show. There's a book on the desk that's for visitors and VIPs to sign. Has some nice comments in there ;)
Since it's not far off topic, I see HP's signage is still up, should not the original sponsorship agreement from Compaq, now HP have expired by now. Was it renegotiated? Extended or just not yet expired?

Rinx

I worked at Mission: Space during my CP! That is "Mission Control" officially as it is called on the rotation slips. The CM sitting in the middle is like any other Mission: Space costumed CM. As other posters have mentioned there are four video screens, one for each bay. All that displays on them are time sheets with certain events as they happen like "Ride Start" or "Ride End", etc. as well as alerts like if a capsule doesn't close properly, among many others. There are also four smaller monitors that just displays the ride show as it's happening. Certain things have to be hand logged by that individual. CM's in the bays phone that CM if there is a problem to inhibit or re-enable dispatch for that bay. It is a very safety critical position so if you bang obnoxiously on the glass the CM SHOULD NOT look up. They are trained and told to focus on the monitors at ALL times. The CM's on the edges of the desks are usually coordinators or managers doing their thing on their computers. The side that faces the queue is, as mentioned above, purely for show and serves no functionality.

Jmissydj

Original Poster
Wow, Rinx!! Thank you so much for that info. What a great design for a ride-- having such an integral part in plain view, but the guests don't know it! (At least we didn't!!)

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Since it's not far off topic, I see HP's signage is still up, should not the original sponsorship agreement from Compaq, now HP have expired by now. Was it renegotiated? Extended or just not yet expired?
HP still sponsors Mission:Space. Employees still have access to the lounge.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom