Port Orleans vs. POP

Stitchiegrl23

Original Poster
I'm trying to decide between staying at the POP for our next trip and Port Orleans French Quarter. Never stayed at the POP but hear great things....stayed at POFQ but it was years and years ago. My main concern is the size of the resort and the bus service. We will have a 10 month old with us so easier travel the better. When we stayed at the Coronado Springs I could not stand the large size of the layout and multiple bus stops! I've been told that while both resorts are much smaller, French Quarter and Riverside share bus service but POP and Art of Animation share bus service as well. Any suggestions/opinions??? Just need some general advice..thanks buddies!!!;):happy::)

Bairstow

Well beyond the fact that Pop is cheap and nasty and Port Orleans is an actual Disney-quality resort...
I've stayed at both and much prefer the bus situation, and everything else, for that matter, at Port Orleans.

We stayed at French Quarter last week and found the bus service to be just fine. It seemed as though the buses would sometimes run through Riverside and Sometimes not; it was difficult to predict, and might have varied from line to line. I can remember coming back from the Magic Kingdom one night and finding that our bus was made all four stops at the various Riverside stops before heading to French Quarter, and on other nights from, if I remember correctly, Downtown Disney, the bus going to French Quarter first. After Extra Magic Hours at Magic Kingdom one night, there was actually a dedicated French Quarter-only bus.

Another thing to keep in mind is that French Quarter, and Riverside for that matter, has nice covered bus waiting areas with benches and at Pop you wait in exposed chain switchbacks.

Last edited:

patch553

we've stayed at both,both are great choices the bus service is good at both. the themeing at both are great, pop will obviously be more appealing for the little one:)

JohnD

I wouldn't call Pop "nasty" but it is a value resort compared to POFQ which is a moderate. If you have the budget, then go with POFQ. I recommend Building 4. Closest to food court and buses. Also, only one bus stop for the resort although it may share with POR from time-to-time which has four depots.

If you have less budget, Pop is my favorite value to stay it. I recommend the 60s building as it is closest to the pool, food court, and buses.

Jess G

As far as a moderate resort goes port Orleans French quarter is the smallest.. considering you have a baby with you that's where I would stay for 2 simple reasons .. 1- way less walking .. and 2- because at the value resorts you will find large groups such as camps and youth organizations, at POFQ it will be a much more quiet environment in general. I will be staying at pofq in September and absolutely cannot wait!!

Also keep in mind no matter where you choose to stay its gonna be a great time.

Bairstow

As far as a moderate resort goes port Orleans French quarter is the smallest.. considering you have a baby with you that's where I would stay for 2 simple reasons .. 1- way less walking .. and 2- because at the value resorts you will find large groups such as camps and youth organizations, at POFQ it will be a much more quiet environment in general.

You run into the youth groups at Riverside too.

HolleBolleGijs

If you don't mind the price difference, definitely go for French Quarter. It does share a bus with Riverside most of the time, but it's the first stop so you should definitely be able to get a seat. It's also the smallest moderate, so the walk to the bus stop and food court are much short than they would be at POP.

4disneylovers

I have stayed at both and i think that if They share or not changes. When we were at FQ we did not share but in June we went to FQ for beignets and it took forever to get back to the park because we stopped at all riverside stops.

Theming is definite a consideration. Also bed size. FQ has queens pop doesn't pop is Disney over the top themed to me and FQ is relaxing adult oriented themed.

So it all depends on what You are looking for.

Bairstow

Rarely! And in comparison to value resorts...much less. I've stayed at the PO resorts many times and I've never had issues with tour groups or youth groups.

I ran into a Brazilian youth group staying at Riverside 2 weeks ago. Though it was probably due to miscommunication, they were resting/congregating on the boat launch and preventing anyone else from getting around them.
My sister stayed at Riverside with her own youth group, though this was about 10 years ago.

JIMINYCR

POFQ has been our choice so I'm being partial. I'd direct you there over Pop. Smaller, easier to get around. With a 10 month old, youll be in a much quieter resort so there will be less noise disturbing the young ones sleep. Sharing buses with POR happens at times but getting to the parks hasnt been a major issue. I have found returning from the parks to the resort, there has been more of a wait than other resorts and if the bus goes to POR it takes longer to get home. But I think youd be happier at POFQ.

matt9112

Well beyond the fact that Pop is cheap and nasty and Port Orleans is an actual Disney-quality resort...
I've stayed at both and much prefer the bus situation, and everything else, for that matter, at Port Orleans.

We stayed at French Quarter last week and found the bus service to be just fine. It seemed as though the buses would sometimes run through Riverside and Sometimes not; it was difficult to predict, and might have varied from line to line. I can remember coming back from the Magic Kingdom one night and finding that our bus was made all four stops at the various Riverside stops before heading to French Quarter, and on other nights from, if I remember correctly, Downtown Disney, the bus going to French Quarter first. After Extra Magic Hours at Magic Kingdom one night, there was actually a dedicated French Quarter-only bus.

Another thing to keep in mind is that French Quarter, and Riverside for that matter, has nice covered bus waiting areas with benches and at Pop you wait in exposed chain switchbacks.

If you have the cash I don't think this is a question. I don't mind pops cheeky theming or rooms it's more the fact that it is so crowded and loud because (due to pricing) it attracts lower income larger familys. (Nothing against those people) and bus waits can be rough sometimes.

Cmdr_Crimson

I really hope they will add a shelter section for Pop similar to AoA's...
Disneys-Art-of-Animation-Resort_Full_16211.jpg

All they got to do is re-imagine the section and remove the POP signs...
100_3484.jpg

pajammies

If you have the cash I don't think this is a question. I don't mind pops cheeky theming or rooms it's more the fact that it is so crowded and loud because (due to pricing) it attracts lower income larger familys. (Nothing against those people) and bus waits can be rough sometimes.

WOW, we are not loud, low income or a big family and we have stayed at Pop several times. We prefer to spend our money on other things since we are almost never in the room. I can not compare the two resorts as I have not stayed at POFQ, but I do think a little one would like the bright colors and "cheeky theming" IMHO

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom