Running after pregnancy

amy1985

Original Poster
I had a baby about 7 weeks ago and feel like I'm having a hard time getting back to where I was prepregnancy. I'm guessing a lot of the women runners on here are mothers? What have some of your experiences been?

I was running about an 11 minute mile before pregnancy, and stayed active throughout the nine months. I started getting back after about 4 weeks postpartum and am now doing 2 minuts at 4.2 mph on the treadmill followed by 1 minute at 5.5 mph, which ends up at a 13 minute mile, and it really takes all the effort I have to just do that (total I do 3.5 miles every other day). I have a 5k in about 3 weeks that I'm hoping to do in under 40 minutes, and I'm doing two 10ks in September and October. Does getting to 11 minutes by then seem reasonable? I want to use a 10k for my time for the 2016 wine and Dine half, and I live in new england, so October is pretty much the latest 10k until the spring. Thanks everyone

LindsayLoves

Disclaimer - not a mom just a woman who has read a lot of stories/blogs about running after pregnancy and there is the one thing I can take away from those tales:
Everyone is different, some people can get right back into it while other people take a year or two. Listen to your body... and your doctor.

I am guessing you might have gained some weight during your pregnancy, that additional weight will also slow you down so as you lose the weight the running could get easier for you.

Also running outside for the 5k might be good for you to see that you can run faster, running on a treadmill and having a number stare you in the face is a tough way to train because you fixate on the number, you may surprise yourself in the race. I had a co-worker who is not a runner but uses the treadmill at the gym occasionally, she was super surprised how fast she was able to run in a 5k a few weeks back because she said she had never run faster than a 9:30/mile on the treadmill and did the race around 8:45/mile.

dreamfinder

Nor am I a mom. But we had our first almost 9 months ago, and I'm just starting to get about 3/4 of the way back to where I had been, never mind my DW. Definitely listen to your body, and I'd echo consulting with your doctor. Take it easy, keeping your body in the shape it needs to be in to care for the baby is the most important part.

NYwdwfan

I had a baby about 7 weeks ago and feel like I'm having a hard time getting back to where I was prepregnancy. I'm guessing a lot of the women runners on here are mothers? What have some of your experiences been?

I was running about an 11 minute mile before pregnancy, and stayed active throughout the nine months. I started getting back after about 4 weeks postpartum and am now doing 2 minuts at 4.2 mph on the treadmill followed by 1 minute at 5.5 mph, which ends up at a 13 minute mile, and it really takes all the effort I have to just do that (total I do 3.5 miles every other day). I have a 5k in about 3 weeks that I'm hoping to do in under 40 minutes, and I'm doing two 10ks in September and October. Does getting to 11 minutes by then seem reasonable? I want to use a 10k for my time for the 2016 wine and Dine half, and I live in new england, so October is pretty much the latest 10k until the spring. Thanks everyone

First off - congratulations on the baby! While I am not a runner, I am a mom, and I can tell you it took a good 6 months for me to feel "like me" again. You were active during your pregnancy but you can't discount the stress on your body - your joints, your organs, EVERYWHERE - caused by carrying a baby for 9 months. Getting back on the treadmill is the first step (well that's a pun!) - give your body time to adjust and you will get there - maybe not as quickly as you would like but you WILL get there. Good luck!

JillC LI

Congratulations on y our little one. I have two who are both teenagers now. I actually went on hiatus for awhile after each was born. Took quite some time to build up strength again afterwards. But kudos to you for getting back to it so quickly.

MotherofaPrincessLover

Honestly, running can be so up and down. You are a new mom, and exhausted. I didn't start running until my daughter was 2, so I can't really compare pre-pregnancy to post-pregnancy. I am pregnant again now, and let me tell you, my running has suffered tremendously. I just try to push through as best as I can since some running is better than no running. Just keep up the running (at whatever pace you can), and eventually it will come back. It will take some time, but you will get there!

amy1985

Original Poster
Thanks everyone. Since posting this, I've continused running every other day and did 2 miles today at a 12:30 pace, which is really encouraging.
Honestly, running can be so up and down. You are a new mom, and exhausted. I didn't start running until my daughter was 2, so I can't really compare pre-pregnancy to post-pregnancy. I am pregnant again now, and let me tell you, my running has suffered tremendously. I just try to push through as best as I can since some running is better than no running. Just keep up the running (at whatever pace you can), and eventually it will come back. It will take some time, but you will get there!
It's so good you're continuing to run! I only walked through my pregnancy, and it's been harder than I expected getting back into it. You should have an easier time!

amy1985

Original Poster
Got up to 4 miles in 54 minutes on Sunday, which I was pretty happy about. The first two miles were each 12:30. I was happy to see though that runners have until august to send in times for wine and dine half marathon, as I was nervous about getting a good time for my October 10k to use for registering (assuming I even get into the half marathon next year, fingers crossed)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom