The Dolphin!

JusticeDisney

Original Poster
I always loved this view of the Swan and Dolphin. Might not be the Disney magic that some people are looking for, but it's magical to me in it's own way..

home_1.jpg
To me, that picture says it all about the Swan and Dolphin. The place is absolutely gorgeous, inside and out.

I would be willing to bet anything that if you took a group of people who had never even heard of Disney World, and you allowed them to walk around and experience all of the deluxe resorts on property without telling them who owns them or what they are named, a majority of the people would say that the SD is the best. And then when you told those same people the respective costs of staying at the various resorts, they would look at you like you are insane. Obviously, that's merely my opinion, but I believe it wholeheartedly.

Hockey89

To me, that picture says it all about the Swan and Dolphin. The place is absolutely gorgeous, inside and out.

I would be willing to bet anything that if you took a group of people who had never even heard of Disney World, and you allowed them to walk around and experience all of the deluxe resorts on property without telling them who owns them or what they are named, a majority of the people would say that the SD is the best. And then when you told those same people the respective costs of staying at the various resorts, they would look at you like you are insane. Obviously, that's merely my opinion, but I believe it wholeheartedly.
I'd take that bet in one second. I know a bunch of people stayed there to save a bit of money and all 12 would never stay there again...Not one person... Said that's why it is cheaper... I stayed there too and felt the exact same way... ... The only truly amazing place on property is not owned but Disney but it is not the DS.... It is the four seasons...

JusticeDisney

Original Poster
I'd take that bet in one second. I know a bunch of people stayed there to save a bit of money and all 12 would never stay there again...Not one person... Said that's why it is cheaper... I stayed there too and felt the exact same way... ... The only truly amazing place on property is not owned but Disney but it is not the DS.... It is the four seasons...
If you know only 12 people who feel that way, I so wish you and I could actually bet, because I personally know more than double that amount of people who feel exactly the same way as I do.

I completely agree with you about the Four Seasons though.

DiSnEyF@n

It's our first choice for many reasons:
1. The beauty of it, inside and out.
2. The cheap rates (My mom works for Starwood hotels and we stay for $89 a night before taxes and fees)
3. The pool - I read someone wrote it's boring.... Not even close to boring. It has a slide and a grotto. It is beautifully themed, not to mention the Cabanna Bar that serves some yummy food and drinks!
4. The proximity to EPCOT & HS
5. The proximity to Boardwalk
6. The 12 restaurants on site (with some of the most amazing food on Disney property)
7. The comfy beds
8. I am sure there is more, but take my word for it, it is one of the best on Disney property.

Not many other hotels on Disney have ALL of these qualitites if you ask me.

Last edited:

Missymoe4

I stayed there during the holidays one year. Beautiful tree in the lobby.

IMG_0587.jpg
IMG_0588.jpg
It was pretty, but it didn't do much for me. I live in Chicago and the hotels here are dressed like this (and better!) for the holiday season. I think they could step it up a bit in the decorations department.

I'm sure the prices are good, but they lack in Disney theming. It all comes down to what you want in a room. I want Disney theming because I can get a Westin or Sheraton right around my corner. A plus, I know a lot of people who exchange their travel points for these rooms. If I could do that, I certainly would.

MickeyMomV

S&D one of the best deals and nicest onsite resort in WDW
Here is my problem with the S&D. It is not a Disney hotel! It may be really, really close to a Disney park but when its all said and done its not Disney. I don't see it as being any different from staying at a nice hotel out side of the "gates". I'm not saying the S&D may not be cheaper and I'm not saying it might not have a few nicer features than some of the Disney hotels but when I go to Disney I go to stay in the Disney bubble! The MDE, Magic Bands, EMH, early FP+ selection, DDP, package delivery to my room, and overall Disney experience are worth the little extra in my opinion.

JusticeDisney

Original Poster
Here is my problem with the S&D. It is not a Disney hotel! It may be really, really close to a Disney park but when its all said and done its not Disney. I don't see it as being any different from staying at a nice hotel out side of the "gates". I'm not saying the S&D may not be cheaper and I'm not saying it might not have a few nicer features than some of the Disney hotels but when I go to Disney I go to stay in the Disney bubble! The MDE, Magic Bands, EMH, early FP+ selection, DDP, package delivery to my room, and overall Disney experience are worth the little extra in my opinion.
Not really sure what you're saying be cause Magic Bands, EMH, early FP+ selections, and package delivery are all available at the SD. That leaves only the MDE and DDP as not available. If the manner in which you are transported to and from the airport is critical to your vacation, that's certainly your prerogative, but taking a $50 cab ride directly to my hotel without having to stop at any other resorts first is much preferable to me. And as for the DDP, if you like to eat at higher end restaurants, you can forget about the DDP.

Anyway, you have just proven the point that I have been saying forever. Some people actually write off a resort simply because of who owns it. And that's just insane to me.

MickeyMomV

Not really sure what you're saying be cause Magic Bands, EMH, early FP+ selections, and package delivery are all available at the SD.
According to Disney they do not ship packages from the parks to the hotels. Maybe this is something that has changed in the last 6 months or maybe the Cast Member did not know what they were talking about. As for the Magic Bands with the 60 FP+ selection I'm going off from what other threads have pointed out.

Anyway, you have just proven the point that I have been saying forever. Some people actually write off a resort simply because of who owns it. And that's just insane to me.
I would be happy to prove your point over and over again. Its all about the "bubble". Its the difference between going on a Disney Vacation and going to Disney while on vacation.

HolleBolleGijs

Not really sure what you're saying be cause Magic Bands, EMH, early FP+ selections, and package delivery are all available at the SD.

From the S&D website:
Disney's Magic Bands are available for purchase at Daisy's Garden and Disney's Cabanas. You can link your Disney Park Tickets, Fast Passes, and Photo Pass to your Magic Band. At this time for Swan and Dolphin guests, it does not allow in-park charging privileges nor does it serve as your room key.

So MagicBands are available at the S&D in the same sense that they're available at off-site hotels.

However, you are correct in saying that early FP+, package delivery, and EMH are available to S&D guests.

JusticeDisney

Original Poster
According to Disney they do not ship packages from the parks to the hotels. Maybe this is something that has changed in the last 6 months or maybe the Cast Member did not know what they were talking about. As for the Magic Bands with the 60 FP+ selection I'm going off from what other threads have pointed out.

I would be happy to prove your point over and over again. Its all about the "bubble". Its the difference between going on a Disney Vacation and going to Disney while on vacation.
All I can say then is be careful about where you get your information. Because Magic Bands and 60 FP+ options are absolutely available to SD guests. And I was at the Dolphin a month ago and had things shipped to the hotel.

So, once you deal with actual facts, it appears that the DDP and manner of transportation to and from the airport are what makes it feel "Disney" to you. Like I said, that's certainly your prerogative.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom