Am I spoiled by the Deluxe Resorts????

DiSnEyF@n

Original Poster
Here's the scoop:
We are a family of 5. We stay at the Dolphin because of its proximity to everything (especially our favorite park, EPCOT). We LOVE, LOVE, LOVE being able to walk to EPCOT and HS. As our older kids get older we have come realize that we need TWO rooms to accomdate our needs. We have DD 1.5 DD 14 and DS 16. I am worried that we won't get the rates we desire from the Dolphin and we will have to book through Disney. Although many people love to book through Disney, for us needed 2 rooms we would have to stay at moderate resorts. We can't afford to stay in Deluxe resorts.

Moderate resorts are NOT within walking distance to EPCOT or HS. I have been looking into POFQ and CB resorts (as well as AOA and OKW).

Basically, I am wondering if I will be truly disappointed by staying at the Moderates bc of being spoiled by the Dolphin. I know I sound like a brat, but I would love to hear others view on this.

Thanks!

aw14

We find ourselves in the same boat. We loved ur stays at POFQ and CSR. However, we are staying at our 3rd deluxe in August (Poly). We have previously stayed at CR and AKL. We are a MK family, so the proximity and ease, specifically with the monorail are just too good to pass up.

Hockey89

Here's the scoop:
We are a family of 5. We stay at the Dolphin because of its proximity to everything (especially our favorite park, EPCOT). We LOVE, LOVE, LOVE being able to walk to EPCOT and HS. As our older kids get older we have come realize that we need TWO rooms to accomdate our needs. We have DD 1.5 DD 14 and DS 16. I am worried that we won't get the rates we desire from the Dolphin and we will have to book through Disney. Although many people love to book through Disney, for us needed 2 rooms we would have to stay at moderate resorts. We can't afford to stay in Deluxe resorts.

Moderate resorts are NOT within walking distance to EPCOT or HS. I have been looking into POFQ and CB resorts (as well as AOA and OKW).

Basically, I am wondering if I will be truly disappointed by staying at the Moderates bc of being spoiled by the Dolphin. I know I sound like a brat, but I would love to hear others view on this.

Thanks!
First world problems... Spoiled brat.... Oh the mercy of having to stay with the "lower class" ....

Kidding kidding.... It's not going to be as nice...No way around it.... You get what you pay for... Walking to epcot and HS is huge for us as well... But you will still have fun if you keep an open mind but if you are comparing the whole time......

righttrack

Try booking as a combined air package through one of the travel sites like Jetblue Getaways, Orbitz, etc, before abandoning your choice for the Dolphin. Sometimes the bundle helps save.

DiSnEyF@n

Original Poster
I guess I just figure that if I'm going to go I might as well stay where I want... But I can't spend $1000 a night for two rooms!!! It's just not realistic. I did just put in a request for 2 studios through DVCrentals.com - Hoping to get something through them!

DiSnEyF@n

Original Poster
Try booking as a combined air package through one of the travel sites like Jetblue Getaways, Orbitz, etc, before abandoning your choice for the Dolphin. Sometimes the bundle helps save.

Great advice. I didn't even think of it!!! Thanks!

HolleBolleGijs

I honestly think the moderates are a nice compromise. Of course it's different from staying at a deluxe, but definitely not as jarring as the transition from deluxe to value would be. If you like the convenience of walking to Epcot, I would do Port Orleans French Quarter. It's not within walking distance of a park, but the transportation is the best of the moderate resorts since they only have one bus stop (and if it's shared with Riverside, FQ is the first stop). Plus you're within walking distance of Riverside's TS restaurant and Ye Haa Bob!

Disvillain63

Compare the cost of two rooms at a moderate to renting a one bedroom (essentially 2 rooms, a kitchen, and washer/dryer) DVC, or possibly a two bedroom (essentially 3 rooms, a kitchen, and washer/dryer) DVC. We've been using dvcrentalstore.com for the last couple of years...for the same reason. Saratoga Springs and Old Key West (most square footage) are usually the least expensive; however, we have had luck with getting a reasonable price at Boardwalk Villas too.

Bairstow

It's the most first world of problems, but I know where you're coming from.

Having stayed at all three, I can say there's a noticeable drop in quality of experience when you go from a deluxe to a moderate, and a really noticeable drop in quality of experience when you go from a moderate to a value. A lot of the moderates have have a lot of themed charm that's unique to them. Sure, you're going to be using the buses more, but Port Orleans and Old Key West both have boat service to Downtown that is a lot of fun to use.

thomas998

Here's the scoop:

Thanks!

We've stayed at several deluxes as well as moderates and one pop... I would honestly only stay at a monorail deluxe if I am paying for a deluxe, the only real draw I ever saw in the Deluxe was the proximity to MK which is where we probably spend more time than any of the other parks... So for you maybe the Dolphin is your monorail resort if you enjoy Epcot most of all.

That being said, we usually stay in the cabins now simply because it offers most space than the others and we can put the kids in a room to themselves... If you do the cabins it might allow you to avoid getting two rooms, but bewarned they are probably the least Disneyfied rooms you'll find, so don't expect to have the light up headboard on the bead twinkling while Wish Upon a Star plays, if that's your goal you'll need a real deluxe... but they do have most space than even a deluxe and a full kitchen.

JusticeDisney

Here's the scoop:

Thanks!
I agree with Hockey that you get what you pay for. In my opinion, you will definitely notice a difference (and I don't mean a positive one) if you go with a moderate. And on top of that, no matter where else you might stay, there is going to be a HUGE drop off in comparison to the Dolphin as far as the comfort of the bed is concerned.

One suggestion might be to look into getting a suite. As I said in another thread, I recently reserved a suite for less than it would have cost to stay in a standard room at any of the other Epcot resorts.

Anyway, I wish you and your family luck and, no matter what you decide to do, I hope you have the best Disney trip of your lives!

BrianV

Everything here is a first world problem by definition...we are talking about an expensive amusement park...we should start every single thread with that disclaimer and the move on.

That said, I'm told you can buy DVC points and get a suite perhaps at a similar rate to a regular room in the DVC hotels. My problem is that basically if you do this, you cannot cancel. I've not cancelled ever, but I'd be anxious putting own so much money with no option to back out if there were issue. I don't know the details beyond that I've always been scared off by the lack of any way to cancel.

And I totally agree. At disney you pay for easy access and the deluxes provide the best access. If time is money time not spent on a bus has some value. But everyone values things differently. We go for 2-3 days max, so we don't want to waste time.

DiSnEyF@n

Original Poster
I agree with Hockey that you get what you pay for. In my opinion, you will definitely notice a difference (and I don't mean a positive one) if you go with a moderate. And on top of that, no matter where else you might stay, there is going to be a HUGE drop off in comparison to the Dolphin as far as the comfort of the bed is concerned.

One suggestion might be to look into getting a suite. As I said in another thread, I recently reserved a suite for less than it would have cost to stay in a standard room at any of the other Epcot resorts.

Anyway, I wish you and your family luck and, no matter what you decide to do, I hope you have the best Disney trip of your lives!

Great advice! I appreciate your positiveness! We will do our best to lock down the Dolphin! lol

R W B

I started out with 5 stays at values, then went to POFQ and really enjoyed it and my last trip was at the Poly. With that said, I wouldn't mind staying at a value again, I don't see it as a big deal but then again theirs only 2 of us, not a family. Sure the monorails were great when we stayed at the poly but their certainly not a must have like some people say they are.

DiSnEyF@n

Original Poster
I started out with 5 stays at values, then went to POFQ and really enjoyed it and my last trip was at the Poly. With that said, I wouldn't mind staying at a value again, I don't see it as a big deal but then again theirs only 2 of us, not a family. Sure the monorails were great when we stayed at the poly but their certainly not a must have like some people say they are.

I think that's just it. If it were just me and my husband we could stay anywhere and be fine... But with the kids and naps and blah blah blah it's great to be really close to our favorite park: EPCOT.

thomas998

I think that's just it. If it were just me and my husband we could stay anywhere and be fine... But with the kids and naps and blah blah blah it's great to be really close to our favorite park: EPCOT.

Only suggestion is that when your littlest one gets a little older and you know you are going to be in MK more than EPCOT, do the Contemporary it is the most convenient when have a small child that will need naps... mostly because it will give you the first stop on the monorail and your back to the hotel... or if you really like walking you can walk to it from MK but be warned its a longer walk pushing a stroller than you think.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom