Possible Frontierland expansion

MerlinTheGoat

I thought @marni1971 Shot the sinkhole theory down? I cant keep any of this stuff straight. We need a version of Snopes for all these urban legends
Correct, i've seen him repeat that fact numerous times these forums. I also recall someone stating that prior to its closure in 1999 for the Mission Space replacement, Horizons was supposed to have a major refurb/overhaul ala Spaceship Earth '94 that would have breathed new life into it. That was in the interim when no one was sponsoring the ride. What killed the ride was not a structural issue, but the fact that they previously lost its sponsor and they finally found a new one (who presumably didn't want Horizons to remain). GE had stopped sponsoring Horizons in 1994 and the ride was often only open on a "seasonal" basis until its final closure in 1999 (this on again and off again operation of the ride was even noted as "seasonal" on park maps at the time, it was closed frequently between 94 and 97 when I visited as a child).

In actuality, a quick search yields an old post from Martin that it was in fact Universe of Energy that was the pavilion built on top of a sinkhole. A small one granted, but one regardless. And it was apparently known about from the beginning of construction and deemed unimportant (unimportant enough to build a huge scale ride there) by people who knew exactly what they were doing. They went ahead with the building and it still stands to this day (presumably still structurally sound, I haven't heard anyone mentioning issues with it).

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/wonders-of-life.551725/page-2#post-4002380

Clowd Nyne

Did you just compare a
Theme park to an amusement park.

The things I would say....space mountain must suck eh?
Not everything must have an ip. We choose theme parks over amusement parks because we enjoy the atmosphere. Space mountain has a distinct theme where as millennium force at cedar point is a giant piece of blue steel. Both good rides but one has the Disney difference. The fact that Disney can use ip's that no other parks can only furthers the difference.

matt9112

Not everything must have an ip. We choose theme parks over amusement parks because we enjoy the atmosphere. Space mountain has a distinct theme where as millennium force at cedar point is a giant piece of blue steel. Both good rides but one has the Disney difference. The fact that Disney can use ip's that no other parks can only furthers the difference.

That was my point...but IP's are not needed a cohesive theme and story can't be confused with a pre existing IP. Thunder moutain and space are both good examples of no IP yet a very strong believable theme.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Nope.

Lack of sponsor and willing to pay for upkeep and update. Compaq signed up to pay for demolition and building a new pavilion.
I have always wondered...Did all the problems associated with shoehorning TT into an existing building play into the decision to demo Horizons? I know the final product that is M:S would not have fit in the old building, but I was wondering if the idea of saving Horizons was even entertained.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I have always wondered...Did all the problems associated with shoehorning TT into an existing building play into the decision to demo Horizons? I know the final product that is M:S would not have fit in the old building, but I was wondering if the idea of saving Horizons was even entertained.
Test Tracks physical construction was relatively simple and straight forward. Indeed, as you know it was done with plenty of spare space left over. There was always the option of elevating more track up onto the mezzanine and of making the Centrecore covering load bearing. Test Tracks problems were mainly ride system and software related.

As you should know ( ;) ) there were several proposals to save or retrofit the Horizons building into a space themed pavilion once the decision was taken to scrap the then existing theme.

Slowjack

Just to be clear on the timing, Horizons was slated for removal prior to the opening of Test Track. It was the latter's problems in getting open--and staying open--that kept Horizons up long enough that there was a decent overlap in their histories.

ToTBellHop

First you talk about re-theming Splash Mountain, now you are saying Mission Space is an upgrade from Horizons! Remind me again why I don't have you on ignore? ;)
Not that it's on topic at all, but I actually think Space is a wonderful ride, just too intense for me. It didn't have to bring about Horizons' demise, though. If they had just built it on an expansion plot in Future World West, you'd have far fewer complains. Maybe they can score a 2-for-1 Groupon and move Mission: SPACE while they are moving "it's a small world."

Sage of Time

I'll merge all the off topic stuff into one succinct idea:

Let's move IASW to EPCOT. It has the World's Fair/World Showcase connections. It could go really well.

*runs away*

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom