The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

seahawk7

@Cesar R M Here are some of the screenshots I've taken already.

With Windows 10, on the Surface or a 2-in-1 device, there are now two modes: Desktop and tablet. You have one of three options if you have one of these devices: you can set it manually when you're using your device as a laptop, it can automatically detect when you remove your keyboard/replace your keyboard and change modes accordingly, or it will detect when you remove/replace your keyboard and ask if you want to switch modes. I chose the third option. The major difference is that when in desktop mode, you do literally everything, well, within the desktop. When you are in tablet mode, all of your apps (including desktop apps) will go to full screen and you won't have access to your desktop

Here is what the new desktop looks like:
View attachment 103591
Cortana is on the left next to the start menu. You can type in what you want to ask her or use a microphone. She also learns what you like and what notifications you want to see. Click on her and your notifications will pop up.

View attachment 103592

I think it will be cool once they release her for iOS and Android and sync her across devices.

Next, we have the start menu. There are two versions of the start menu: one is the traditional start menu; the other is the full screen version. When in tablet mode, the only option is full screen. In desktop mode, you can change to which one you prefer.

View attachment 103593

The above is obviously the smaller version. It still features the live tiles and the apps. But integrated with the desktop instead of a separate screen.

View attachment 103594
This is the full screen mode. Other than that in tablet mode, the task bar will be absent, this is how it would look in tablet mode.
View attachment 103597
This is the new settings menu. I noticed that quite a few functions have moved from the control panel to the settings menu. For instance, you can change the theme in the Control Panel, but you change your wallpaper in Settings. Yeah, confusing. Kind of wish they would combine the control panel and the settings menu and possibly completely eliminate the control panel.

You'll notice that this is an app, yet the taskbar is still present. In desktop mode, all apps run within the desktop.

View attachment 103599
See? This is Windows Store, an app, running within the desktop. Much better if using a mouse and keyboard.

If you're running multiple apps/programs, swipe from the left of your screen. You'll see this:
View attachment 103600

Oh, and you can create multiple desktops now. You can create them and switch between them from this screen. I can tell you this will be my favorite new feature once school starts. No more fighting with so many windows in one desktop.

And last but not least (for now) remember the annoying charms bar? Gone. In its place, the action center.
View attachment 103601
Now, you can quickly adjust some settings and view your notifications (which on Windows 8 disappeared into an abyss never to be seen again).

So far, only two bugs that I noticed, one more serious than the other.

1. On one of my apps, the sound stopped working properly. It made a buzzing noise. It was just the one app, though.
2. I got a notification that updates were installing. During this time, the display driver failed and I had to restart the computer. Only happened once, but worth noting.

Other than that, so far so good...
You and Cesar impress me with your tech saavy.

StarWarsGirl

I'm going to test it on my surface 3 pro.

Interestingly I already accepted the Windows 10 installation, but tells me I have to wait.
I wonder why.
First of all, check to see if the file folder has downloaded. It should be in drive C under $windows~BT and have a .esd file. The file folder should be about 6.5 GBs (meaning your hard drive must also have 6.5 GBs of free space). If the file folder is present, plug in your Surface, restart it, and click the upgrade button. It should give you the option to install (but will only do so if your Surface is plugged in, I noticed).

If you do not have the file yet, then you are not in the first wave of downloads. Microsoft is installing Windows 10 in waves to keep the internet traffic down and to minimize issues. So when you accepted it, you were actually reserving a time when your computer will download Windows 10. So if you weren't in the first wave, your Surface will get it later. According to some sources, it could take weeks before Microsoft gets Windows 10 to all who reserved it.

You can, if you want, download and install Windows 10 manually if you're eager to get it. I'm not messing around with it (I can wait, plus it gives me a computer in case stuff gets buggy for school), but it's possible.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Somehow, I was in the first wave with my Surface 3. Don't know if they favored the 3's (which are the newest) or if I just hit it pretty quickly, or got lucky, or a combination of all three. The rest of the computers don't have the file downloaded yet, so I'm assuming that they are not in the first wave.

seahawk7

A few years ago, that happened to me at work, too. :D Wasn't looking behind me and I thought I was going to sit on my chair (with wheels) but I missed it by about an inch, and fell on the floor! I hit my head (not hard) against the wall and my boss told me I had to go get checked out in emergency and file an accident report. (Heh, heh . . . they don't care if you die or anything, they just want to be sure that a job-related accident report gets filled out, and signed by the doctor.) I didn't care; I went to Emergency, but first stopped along the way to buy a chocolate chip cookie in the cafeteria. :p
I'm glad you were ok and the cookie was a good choice.

StarWarsGirl

Well, thats pretty much how I learn... reading reading.. reading.. experimenting..testing..
Bbecause you are 100% correct about outdated in mere months.
When I was in the university.. I knew more on a lot of things than the teachers.
But I also learned a lot of things.

The problem is, most of these things were already obsolete by the time I had my tittle.

It got worse when the superfast device upgrade crazyness (on tablets and phones) became the norm.
I hear ya on the professor front. The last IT class I had to take, on the first day, the professor asked us what we thought the class was about. He took his phone out of his pocket and said, "You think I'm here to teach ya about these? Nope. It should be the opposite. You guys should be teaching ME about these things." I remember two things from that class: Moore's Law and Big Data (I think because I like marketing, and big data and marketing go hand in hand). He knew a heck of a lot more (he teaches many, many other IT courses), but those were what I retained. The class was mostly about the application of technology in the workplace.

catmom46

Oh my.
Yes, indeed, to both...! :hungry: :)

For some reason, I heard you saying "oh my" like this lovely gentleman:

hqdefault.jpg

catmom46

HTTYD2 was more like a hit on your "feels". :/
Its one of these movies that hit you so hard that makes it hard to watch again.

Reminds me of the part of Bunnymund in Rise of the Guardians.. when .
Sandie "dies" and Bunnymund loses most of his powers.

Yeah, a lot of movies have made our DD cry/wail and we hesitate now on letting her watch them in the theaters, as she gets quite upset. The only movies that didn't make her cry were the Despicable Me's. :cat:

catmom46

As far as I know, their Aviators have always been popular and the Wayfarers were popular back in the 50's and 60's, and again in the 80's, mainly because of "The Blues Brothers" and "Risky Business" movies.
So, yes, very similar "brand"-wise. :)

Two more of my favorite movies! Although I remember seeing Blues Brothers when I was a kid (my parents took me to quite a few "adult" movies back then) and in the opening scene I had no idea what a prophylactic was, so didn't know why everyone was laughing. :hilarious:

Figgy1

Premium Member
in other news, they finally found who was the ahole who killed the most tracked, loved and protected lion in Africa.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...dited-charged-preferably-hanged.html[/QUOTE]I just don't get caged hunts! I know people who hunt, they eat the meat, not my cup of tea. But they have every right and I don't want to take that away from them. But caged hunting seems so awful. Now I hope some crazy doesn't go hunting that "hunter" 2 wrongs never seem to make a right. Rant over

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom