Pre-Trip Princess 5k for My 50th!

Hello @Doc Disney, @Longers and my fellow Disney lovers!

After a year of dreaming and wishing I am happy to announce that my sister and I will be celebrating my 50th birthday by running the 2016 Princess 5k at Walt Disney World :happy:!! I am so excited I can barely contain myself!

The Cast:

Me (Lisa) and my sister Tina
This picture was taken on Christmas Day 2014. Tina's Jasmine crown was a gift from me.
This will be my 9th trip and Tina's 7th.

When:
February 17-22, 2016

Where:
Disney's Polynesian Village

What:
5 day Magic Your Way with Park Hopper
Disney Dining Plan
Using the DDP is a first for me. Not sure if I will like it, but we kept thinking of table service restaurants we wanted to try. We figured this was the best way to do it.

Why?

We need some Disney Magic and I am turning 50!

Here's how it happened:
About a year ago, Tina mentioned that we should do something special for my 50th birthday. Something fun that involved just the two of us. Disney freak that I am, my first thought was Disney World! Tina loves Disney as much as I do so she was game.
Inspired by runDisney Trip Reports, I mentioned that I had learned about events where people ran through WDW and even though I am not a runner I really wanted to try it. Tina has run several 5k races so she thought it might be fun. I walk a lot, but I was worried that because I am not a runner I might not be able to do it. Encouraged by Tina and several forum members (@Doc Disney, @Longers and @Ariel484 ) we decided that we should give it a try.
Naturally, I went into full Disney planning mode! I presented Tina with a list of resorts we might want to try and created tentative touring plans. We ranked our resort choices and decided that because we would be flying down and relying on Disney transportation, staying at a monorail resort would make transportation easier. Tina had stayed at the Poly and loved it. I love dole whip so I was sold!! We started saving and thinking about training.
Fast forward to spring 2015. The weather was finally warming up and it was time to begin walking and getting in shape so that I would be able to conquer my first 5k.
Then stress and sadness happened. Our mom has dementia and our dad has been her primary care giver. In mid-April Mom had to have emergency surgery. At the end of April our dad had a drastic and sudden loss of his short term memory. Our first thought was that he'd had a stroke, but that was ruled out. Tina and I took turns staying with and caring for our parents 24/7. Our dad's condition worsened and we searched for answers from the medical community, eventually consulting 10 doctors. He was diagnosed with rapid onset dementia. Dad's condition deteriorated rapidly and after a five day stay in hospice our father passed away on June 30 :cry:.
I honestly don't know what I would have done without Tina. Throughout it all we were a team. Now our trip has become more than just a celebration of my birthday. It's a celebration of our bond as sisters, a time for healing and a time for happiness.

The (Very Tentative) Plan:
We've never been to WDW during February, so any tips or feedback are welcomed and appreciated. I am especially concerned about timing because the parks close earlier this time of year. I know crowds are lower this time of year, but I know that the Princess Half Marathon Weekend is a big draw.

Wednesday, February 17

Evening flight to Orlando
Magical Express to the Poly
(Question: Our dining plan starts today, correct?)
No ADR since we are not yet sure when we will arrive and we want to save one TS credit for later in the week.

Thursday, February 18, 2016

Rope drop at Animal Kingdom (no FastPass+)
Everest, Kilimanjaro Safari, Dinosaur (Tina's never ridden it), and Kali (If it is warm enough)

Dole Whips with Coconut Rum :inlove:
Lunch-CS, maybe Flame Tree or Yak & Yeti? Not sure yet.
Bus to ESPN World of Sports for the Expo and Packet Pick Up
Question: Does anyone know the Expo hours? How long will this process take?
Bus to Disney Hollywood Studios

Hopefully get FP+ for Toy Story Mania (Tina's never ridden it) and Tower of Terror. Single Rider for Rock n Roller Coaster

Fantasmic dinner package at Mama Melrose (I'm not seeing Fantasmic on the the calendar right now, so not sure if it will be happening or not.)

Friday, February 19, 2016

Princess 5k!!!
Quick trip back to the Poly for a shower
Epcot
We are hoping for FP+ for Soarin (New to Tina) & Test Track (New to Tina). Will probably fill in with Spaceship Earth.
Eat and drink around the World
Our dad was born in Germany and came to the USA when he was 16. We are planning to honor him in some way when we are in Germany.

This is one of our favorite photos of us with our dad.
Table Service ADR? Biergarten in honor of our dad? Will we be too full? Not sure what time the race will be over and how fast we will get back to the park, etc. Can we make it around the world with shorter park hours?
Illuminations

Saturday, February 20, 2016

Taxi to Rope Drop at Universal
2 Park One Day Ticket
We both love Harry Potter so this is a must! I've been to Hogsmeade, but Tina hasn't experienced Wizarding World at all.
Diagon Alley
Lunch at Leaky Cauldron or Three Broomsticks
Hogsmeade
Possible dinner ADR at Cali Grill
Neither of us have ever been here. Would love to watch the fireworks.
Question:What time should I try for so we can eat and watch fireworks?

Sunday, February 21, 2016

Rope Drop at MK
Hopefully we will get FP+ for 7 Dwarves Mine Train, Space Mountain and Big Thunder Mountain. Other must do rides will be Splash ( If it's not being refurbished or if it is not too cold), Pirates and Haunted Mansion. Tina has never seen the Tangled rest rooms so we have to stop there :).
CS Lunch. Not sure where. BOG Lunch if we can't get a dinner ADR?
Festival of Fantasy Parade ( I only saw part of it last summer)

Possible dinner ADR at Be Our Guest or ??
I've been here for lunch, but not dinner. Tina hasn't been here at all. I want to meet the Beast!!
Main Street Electical Parade
Wishes (my favorite WDW fireworks)

Monday, February 22, 2016
Breakfast at Kona? Tonga Toast!!!!
More time at MK?
Depends on our flight time and Unmagical Express departure:(

We keep thinking of new restaurants to try so our ADRs may change quite a bit in the next few days. Restaurants in the running are Biergarten, Sanaa, O'Hana, Via Napoli, Les Chef de France….

We'd love to work in a massage at the Grand Floridian Spa, any suggestions on timing? I have NO IDEA how crowded parks will be and how much we can accomplish during shortened park hours.

Hope you enjoyed reading about our plans. I will keep you posted as our plans develop.

TheMouseFan

Yay! How exciting! So sorry to hear about your dad. Your dining plan meals are per night, they do become active the day you check in and are good until midnight of the day you check out, and you can use them whenever you want through your stay. Can't wait to hear more as your planning progresses!

LisaBelle

Original Poster
Thanks for answering my dining plan questions. I thought that was how it worked but since we've never done it before I wasn't positive. Glad to have you following along! We are making our final decisions on ADRs and I will update as soon as we decide.

Longers

Hi, sorry to hear about your dad, but great you are going to do something to remember him whilst in the world!
Thanks for tagging me, and so glad you have finally booked and have taken the plunge.
Like I said before you will be fine - find a 5k plan and stick to it, believe it or not having never done any exercise and then training for a 5k and not running for at least 6 months I actually feel unhealthy now. How did that happen?!
You will absolutely love running in Disney - which park does that 5k run through?
Are you dressing up? You won't get the opportunity again to run through a Disney park dressed up so you need to do it.
You will have a blast.
Our package pick up was quick, we could have been done in half hour but we did look around some of the stands selling bits - we did get there straight after opening though but it was well organised. Looking forward to the updates on the training plan as you go. :)

LisaBelle

Original Poster
Hi, sorry to hear about your dad, but great you are going to do something to remember him whilst in the world!
Thanks for tagging me, and so glad you have finally booked and have taken the plunge.
Like I said before you will be fine - find a 5k plan and stick to it, believe it or not having never done any exercise and then training for a 5k and not running for at least 6 months I actually feel unhealthy now. How did that happen?!
You will absolutely love running in Disney - which park does that 5k run through?
Are you dressing up? You won't get the opportunity again to run through a Disney park dressed up so you need to do it.
You will have a blast.
Our package pick up was quick, we could have been done in half hour but we did look around some of the stands selling bits - we did get there straight after opening though but it was well organised. Looking forward to the updates on the training plan as you go. :)

So happy to have you following along!
I've started walking and am able to do almost 3 miles at a brisk pace. I am within the race pace, but just barely. I've looked over two 5k plans and am going to start one the beginning of next week. Now I just need to stay the course!
The Princess 5k runs through Epcot. I think I will really enjoy running through World Showcase. Yes, we are dressing up! I saw some sparkly running skirts so we think we will get those. We both have crowns, but I am not sure if the ones we have will stay on while we run. Maybe a small tiara or a sparkly headband will be better. Belle is my favorite princess so I am hoping to dress like her or find something with her picture on it. Not exactly sure yet. I am excited to start shopping for all of it though!
Glad packet pick up is quick. I thought about going to the Expo first, but we are trying to squeeze in two parks that day and I am afraid if we don't hit one park at rope drop we won't be able to get in the things we want to see. Luckily I have plenty of time to obsess over all the details :).

Dana Boo

Yay for 5k! I remember reading your trip report from last summer which I really enjoyed! :) I am going the same time with some girlfriends, we'll be doing various races from the 10k to the Glass Slipper Challenge. Enjoy all the planking, that's almost the best part!!

Doc Disney

So sorry to hear about your Dad :( He sounds like he was a great guy! I was so thrilled when you said you were able to sign up for the 5K! I'm glad this trip has even more meaning for you and your sister now! I would say our packet pick up took about 5 minutes but only because we went on the last day and literally no one was there. It did take awhile to get to and from the expo though just keep that in mind. I think about 30 mins each way (but that was coming from the WL and going to the Polynesian). We also only walked around the expo for a few minutes because we weren't that interested but you may want to plan some time for that! You are going to love the race ! I would be lying if I didn't say that I was on that website all day watching the half fill up and wishing I was doing it again :)

LisaBelle

Original Poster
Yay for 5k! I remember reading your trip report from last summer which I really enjoyed! :) I am going the same time with some girlfriends, we'll be doing various races from the 10k to the Glass Slipper Challenge. Enjoy all the planking, that's almost the best part!!

Glad you enjoyed my last trip report! I had a great time writing it. I am so excited about the 5k! I think it will be fun to be part of the whole race weekend. Your trip with your girlfriends sounds like fun. Where are you staying? Have any of you participated in any other runDisney events? I am hoping to watch at least a portion of the half marathon. I agree about the planning. I love thinking of all the possibilities!

LisaBelle

Original Poster
So sorry to hear about your Dad :( He sounds like he was a great guy! I was so thrilled when you said you were able to sign up for the 5K! I'm glad this trip has even more meaning for you and your sister now! I would say our packet pick up took about 5 minutes but only because we went on the last day and literally no one was there. It did take awhile to get to and from the expo though just keep that in mind. I think about 30 mins each way (but that was coming from the WL and going to the Polynesian). We also only walked around the expo for a few minutes because we weren't that interested but you may want to plan some time for that! You are going to love the race ! I would be lying if I didn't say that I was on that website all day watching the half fill up and wishing I was doing it again :)

Thanks, my dad was great and we really miss him.
On race registration day I was a wreck all morning worrying that we wouldn't get in! If it weren't for my sister and some tips from a member on the runDisney forum we might not have. The forum member said to use Facebook to sign on to the registration site. I am one of about five people in the world who is not on Facebook, but luckily my sister is. I wasn't able to get on the registration website at all but my sister was able to access it via Facebook. She used her laptop and had her husband use the iPad and they managed to get both of us registered!
Thanks for the tips about packet pick up. As usual, there are so many things we want to do and I am already feeling stressed about not getting it all in! I really want to make sure we get in all the things Tina hasn't done before! I realized this morning that we haven't planned any time to watch any of the other races. We will have to think about that.
I can't believe how excited I am about running. Only running at Disney could do that :) I can't wait to see everyone all dressed up on race morning. Wish the 5k went through MK, but running by Spaceship Earth and through World Showcase should be a blast.
Do you remember what time your ADR for California Grill was? We'd love to see Wishes while we eat if we can get an ADR. How were the crowds in the parks compared to summer?
You must be so excited about Disneyland! I love that your mom is going with you. I can't wait to read your TR.

Dana Boo

Glad you enjoyed my last trip report! I had a great time writing it. I am so excited about the 5k! I think it will be fun to be part of the whole race weekend. Your trip with your girlfriends sounds like fun. Where are you staying? Have any of you participated in any other runDisney events? I am hoping to watch at least a portion of the half marathon. I agree about the planning. I love thinking of all the possibilities!
Oops I'm glad you knew I meant planning and not planking!! ;) One of the girls is a DVC member and so right now we're at Saratoga, but hoping for Boardwalk where we are wait listed! None of us have ever done a Run Disney race- one of the girls even lives in Florida but this is her first. We all live in different states and don't get to see each other much so it will be great fun! Now we have to start planning our costumes!! <3

LisaBelle

Original Poster
Oops I'm glad you knew I meant planning and not planking!! ;) One of the girls is a DVC member and so right now we're at Saratoga, but hoping for Boardwalk where we are wait listed! None of us have ever done a Run Disney race- one of the girls even lives in Florida but this is her first. We all live in different states and don't get to see each other much so it will be great fun! Now we have to start planning our costumes!! <3
I will keep my fingers crossed that you get to stay at Boardwalk. My sister and I thought about staying there, too, but the Poly won out. I am so excited to be a part of a runDisney race. I'm sure you and your friends will have a great time. Keep me posted on your costumes. I am really looking forward to seeing all the costumes people come up with.

sheriffwoody

So so so sorry about your dad :( I'm glad you and your sister are so close and could support each other through that. Family is so important!

This trip sounds AMAZING! A few things I thought of as I read:
  • You'll totally own that half marathon! I run, and I can tell you that the excitement will carry you through it no matter how trained you are. In my first half, I did a run walk interval method with 3 minutes running, 1 minute walking. It's nice to know during that 3 minutes that you have a break coming up :)
  • When I did the ToT 10 miler, the Expo didn't take long to get through, but getting to the Expo was awful. The bus just took forever, and then it dropped us off what felt like a mile away from the Expo. I was at POR, so maybe getting there from Poly will be better. Having your sister there will help, since you'll have someone to keep you company.
  • After the race, make sure you intake some sugar within about 30 minutes (or an hour?). If not, you might feel queasy the rest of that day. I usually try some fruit or a smoothie....I'm sure they'll have bananas and other options. Just want to make sure you're good to go for the rest of the park day ;)
  • DIAGON ALLEYYYYYYYYY!!!!! I am so jealous y'all are going. It's amazing and completely jaw-dropping. Soak it in and enjoy every moment! I think a Cali dinner sounds like an excellent cap to that day. I think you can go back to watch the fireworks using your receipt if your dinner is earlier.
I think that's it...So excited to see what you end up going with as far as ADRs! I always live vicariously through these trip reports...

LisaBelle

Original Poster
So so so sorry about your dad :( I'm glad you and your sister are so close and could support each other through that. Family is so important!

This trip sounds AMAZING! A few things I thought of as I read:
  • You'll totally own that half marathon! I run, and I can tell you that the excitement will carry you through it no matter how trained you are. In my first half, I did a run walk interval method with 3 minutes running, 1 minute walking. It's nice to know during that 3 minutes that you have a break coming up :)
  • When I did the ToT 10 miler, the Expo didn't take long to get through, but getting to the Expo was awful. The bus just took forever, and then it dropped us off what felt like a mile away from the Expo. I was at POR, so maybe getting there from Poly will be better. Having your sister there will help, since you'll have someone to keep you company.
  • After the race, make sure you intake some sugar within about 30 minutes (or an hour?). If not, you might feel queasy the rest of that day. I usually try some fruit or a smoothie....I'm sure they'll have bananas and other options. Just want to make sure you're good to go for the rest of the park day ;)
  • DIAGON ALLEYYYYYYYYY!!!!! I am so jealous y'all are going. It's amazing and completely jaw-dropping. Soak it in and enjoy every moment! I think a Cali dinner sounds like an excellent cap to that day. I think you can go back to watch the fireworks using your receipt if your dinner is earlier.
I think that's it...So excited to see what you end up going with as far as ADRs! I always live vicariously through these trip reports...

Thanks, our dad was an intelligent, kind and caring man and we really miss him. My sister is awesome! We have always had a good relationship and this has brought us even closer.
Thanks for the running tips. We are only running the 5k, not the half (not sure I'm ready for that much running, yet). I have been looking at training programs and the one I am going to try uses a combination of running and walking. It sounds similar to what you did.
Another forum member mentioned the travel time to and from the expo as well. We will be sure to plan in enough time for that.
I am soooo excited for Diagon Alley. My sister and I have read all the Harry Potter books multiple times. I loved Hogsmeade and can't wait to see the dragon and Gringott's! I am looking forward to seeing Tina's reaction to Diagon Alley and Hogsmeade.
I am hoping California Grill will work out for us. I've always wanted to watch the fireworks from there.
Thanks for following along.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Hello @Doc Disney, @Longers and my fellow Disney lovers!

After a year of dreaming and wishing I am happy to announce that my sister and I will be celebrating my 50th birthday by running the 2016 Princess 5k at Walt Disney World :happy:!! I am so excited I can barely contain myself!

The Cast:

Me (Lisa) and my sister Tina
This picture was taken on Christmas Day 2014. Tina's Jasmine crown was a gift from me.
This will be my 9th trip and Tina's 7th.

When:
February 17-22, 2016

Where:
Disney's Polynesian Village

What:
5 day Magic Your Way with Park Hopper
Disney Dining Plan
Using the DDP is a first for me. Not sure if I will like it, but we kept thinking of table service restaurants we wanted to try. We figured this was the best way to do it.

Why?

We need some Disney Magic and I am turning 50!

Here's how it happened:
About a year ago, Tina mentioned that we should do something special for my 50th birthday. Something fun that involved just the two of us. Disney freak that I am, my first thought was Disney World! Tina loves Disney as much as I do so she was game.
Inspired by runDisney Trip Reports, I mentioned that I had learned about events where people ran through WDW and even though I am not a runner I really wanted to try it. Tina has run several 5k races so she thought it might be fun. I walk a lot, but I was worried that because I am not a runner I might not be able to do it. Encouraged by Tina and several forum members (@Doc Disney, @Longers and @Ariel484 ) we decided that we should give it a try.
Naturally, I went into full Disney planning mode! I presented Tina with a list of resorts we might want to try and created tentative touring plans. We ranked our resort choices and decided that because we would be flying down and relying on Disney transportation, staying at a monorail resort would make transportation easier. Tina had stayed at the Poly and loved it. I love dole whip so I was sold!! We started saving and thinking about training.
Fast forward to spring 2015. The weather was finally warming up and it was time to begin walking and getting in shape so that I would be able to conquer my first 5k.
Then stress and sadness happened. Our mom has dementia and our dad has been her primary care giver. In mid-April Mom had to have emergency surgery. At the end of April our dad had a drastic and sudden loss of his short term memory. Our first thought was that he'd had a stroke, but that was ruled out. Tina and I took turns staying with and caring for our parents 24/7. Our dad's condition worsened and we searched for answers from the medical community, eventually consulting 10 doctors. He was diagnosed with rapid onset dementia. Dad's condition deteriorated rapidly and after a five day stay in hospice our father passed away on June 30 :cry:.
I honestly don't know what I would have done without Tina. Throughout it all we were a team. Now our trip has become more than just a celebration of my birthday. It's a celebration of our bond as sisters, a time for healing and a time for happiness.

The (Very Tentative) Plan:
We've never been to WDW during February, so any tips or feedback are welcomed and appreciated. I am especially concerned about timing because the parks close earlier this time of year. I know crowds are lower this time of year, but I know that the Princess Half Marathon Weekend is a big draw.

Wednesday, February 17

Evening flight to Orlando
Magical Express to the Poly
(Question: Our dining plan starts today, correct?)
No ADR since we are not yet sure when we will arrive and we want to save one TS credit for later in the week.

Thursday, February 18, 2016

Rope drop at Animal Kingdom (no FastPass+)
Everest, Kilimanjaro Safari, Dinosaur (Tina's never ridden it), and Kali (If it is warm enough)

Dole Whips with Coconut Rum :inlove:
Lunch-CS, maybe Flame Tree or Yak & Yeti? Not sure yet.
Bus to ESPN World of Sports for the Expo and Packet Pick Up
Question: Does anyone know the Expo hours? How long will this process take?
Bus to Disney Hollywood Studios

Hopefully get FP+ for Toy Story Mania (Tina's never ridden it) and Tower of Terror. Single Rider for Rock n Roller Coaster

Fantasmic dinner package at Mama Melrose (I'm not seeing Fantasmic on the the calendar right now, so not sure if it will be happening or not.)

Friday, February 19, 2016

Princess 5k!!!
Quick trip back to the Poly for a shower
Epcot
We are hoping for FP+ for Soarin (New to Tina) & Test Track (New to Tina). Will probably fill in with Spaceship Earth.
Eat and drink around the World
Our dad was born in Germany and came to the USA when he was 16. We are planning to honor him in some way when we are in Germany.

This is one of our favorite photos of us with our dad.
Table Service ADR? Biergarten in honor of our dad? Will we be too full? Not sure what time the race will be over and how fast we will get back to the park, etc. Can we make it around the world with shorter park hours?
Illuminations

Saturday, February 20, 2016

Taxi to Rope Drop at Universal
2 Park One Day Ticket
We both love Harry Potter so this is a must! I've been to Hogsmeade, but Tina hasn't experienced Wizarding World at all.
Diagon Alley
Lunch at Leaky Cauldron or Three Broomsticks
Hogsmeade
Possible dinner ADR at Cali Grill
Neither of us have ever been here. Would love to watch the fireworks.
Question:What time should I try for so we can eat and watch fireworks?

Sunday, February 21, 2016

Rope Drop at MK
Hopefully we will get FP+ for 7 Dwarves Mine Train, Space Mountain and Big Thunder Mountain. Other must do rides will be Splash ( If it's not being refurbished or if it is not too cold), Pirates and Haunted Mansion. Tina has never seen the Tangled rest rooms so we have to stop there :).
CS Lunch. Not sure where. BOG Lunch if we can't get a dinner ADR?
Festival of Fantasy Parade ( I only saw part of it last summer)

Possible dinner ADR at Be Our Guest or ??
I've been here for lunch, but not dinner. Tina hasn't been here at all. I want to meet the Beast!!
Main Street Electical Parade
Wishes (my favorite WDW fireworks)

Monday, February 22, 2016
Breakfast at Kona? Tonga Toast!!!!
More time at MK?
Depends on our flight time and Unmagical Express departure:(

We keep thinking of new restaurants to try so our ADRs may change quite a bit in the next few days. Restaurants in the running are Biergarten, Sanaa, O'Hana, Via Napoli, Les Chef de France….

We'd love to work in a massage at the Grand Floridian Spa, any suggestions on timing? I have NO IDEA how crowded parks will be and how much we can accomplish during shortened park hours.

Hope you enjoyed reading about our plans. I will keep you posted as our plans develop.

So sorry to hear about your dad. My dad also suffered from dementia, so I know what you went through.

I too will be running the Princess 5k (again) next year - my 2nd year. Just hoping it isn't as freezing cold as this year's race was - brrrr. And don't worry about running a race at 50. I'm in my early 60s and this past February's race was the first in many, many years (okay, decades). I also ordered the shirt. Wonder when they will ship - I ordered mine several weeks ago.

I'm going to work my way up to a half marathon (crossing fingers). A friend and former coworker started out in the Princess Half Marathon and now she runs just about every runDisney race she can schedule. So she's my inspiration.

Biergarten is a must, especially since you will be doing it in honor of your dad. But don't forget about the end of the Half Marathon weekend party Sunday evening. Great opportunity to meet fellow runners (and not huffing and puffing as your run past them in the dark and cold) and show off your medal.

Definitely do lunch at Leaky Cauldron. The food selection is much better and you can get that wonderful adult beverage (beer) with your order. Unlike Three Broomsticks, you are seated by a server at your table. We really enjoyed both our food and the ambiance of the restaurant. And make sure you ride the Hogwarts Express to/from Diagon Alley - the ride is different for each direction.

So I shall see you, bright and early (and in the dark) next February!

LisaBelle

Original Poster
So sorry to hear about your dad. My dad also suffered from dementia, so I know what you went through.

I too will be running the Princess 5k (again) next year - my 2nd year. Just hoping it isn't as freezing cold as this year's race was - brrrr. And don't worry about running a race at 50. I'm in my early 60s and this past February's race was the first in many, many years (okay, decades). I also ordered the shirt. Wonder when they will ship - I ordered mine several weeks ago.

I'm going to work my way up to a half marathon (crossing fingers). A friend and former coworker started out in the Princess Half Marathon and now she runs just about every runDisney race she can schedule. So she's my inspiration.

Biergarten is a must, especially since you will be doing it in honor of your dad. But don't forget about the end of the Half Marathon weekend party Sunday evening. Great opportunity to meet fellow runners (and not huffing and puffing as your run past them in the dark and cold) and show off your medal.

Definitely do lunch at Leaky Cauldron. The food selection is much better and you can get that wonderful adult beverage (beer) with your order. Unlike Three Broomsticks, you are seated by a server at your table. We really enjoyed both our food and the ambiance of the restaurant. And make sure you ride the Hogwarts Express to/from Diagon Alley - the ride is different for each direction.

So I shall see you, bright and early (and in the dark) next February!

I am so excited to "meet" someone else who is running the 5k. Congratulations on getting back into running after a long break. Good luck working up to a half marathon. I will have to see how the 5k goes to see if I have it in me to try for the half! The Half Marathon Weekend Party sounds fun. We might have to try to squeeze that in, too.

Thanks for recommending Leaky Cauldron over Three Broomsticks. We will try for that. I didn't know that the ride was different for each direction of the Hogwart's Express.

Happy training and happy countdown! We will have to keep in touch and try to meet up over the weekend, if not the day of the race.

Clearly I'm great at reading details ;) haha. Just keep up the running and you'll be doing the half for your 51st!

LOL:hilarious:! Everyone keeps saying that once I start running I will be hooked. We'll see. If anything can convince me to run a longer distance it's Disney!

Doc Disney

Thanks, my dad was great and we really miss him.
On race registration day I was a wreck all morning worrying that we wouldn't get in! If it weren't for my sister and some tips from a member on the runDisney forum we might not have. The forum member said to use Facebook to sign on to the registration site. I am one of about five people in the world who is not on Facebook, but luckily my sister is. I wasn't able to get on the registration website at all but my sister was able to access it via Facebook. She used her laptop and had her husband use the iPad and they managed to get both of us registered!
Thanks for the tips about packet pick up. As usual, there are so many things we want to do and I am already feeling stressed about not getting it all in! I really want to make sure we get in all the things Tina hasn't done before! I realized this morning that we haven't planned any time to watch any of the other races. We will have to think about that.
I can't believe how excited I am about running. Only running at Disney could do that :) I can't wait to see everyone all dressed up on race morning. Wish the 5k went through MK, but running by Spaceship Earth and through World Showcase should be a blast.
Do you remember what time your ADR for California Grill was? We'd love to see Wishes while we eat if we can get an ADR. How were the crowds in the parks compared to summer?
You must be so excited about Disneyland! I love that your mom is going with you. I can't wait to read your TR.

Oh wow ! Thats crazy to get registered like that but at least it worked out! I actually still have the ADR email haha our reservation was at 7:10 pm which was perfect timing for Wishes (I think it was at 9 that night). If you tell them you are celebrating your birthday you will probably get a great view :) The crowds were pretty low compared to summer...even the marathon weekend I didn't think it was too bad. Towards the end of our trip it started to get a little more crowded with cheerleaders but still not terrible. I can't believe I will be in DL on Wednesday so surreal!

LisaBelle

Original Poster
Oh wow ! Thats crazy to get registered like that but at least it worked out! I actually still have the ADR email haha our reservation was at 7:10 pm which was perfect timing for Wishes (I think it was at 9 that night). If you tell them you are celebrating your birthday you will probably get a great view :) The crowds were pretty low compared to summer...even the marathon weekend I didn't think it was too bad. Towards the end of our trip it started to get a little more crowded with cheerleaders but still not terrible. I can't believe I will be in DL on Wednesday so surreal!

Why am I not surprised that you still had your ADR email:)! You are just like me. I save all those things too. I pull out items like that and people just shake their heads. Thanks for the California Grill ADR info. Based on the calendars, Wishes is scheduled for 9 every night we will be there. I will try for a reservation for 7 or later and I will definitely mention that we are celebrating my birthday.
Glad to hear that the crowds are low compared to summer. I know that the Princess Half Marathon Weekend is super popular and I was worried about summer-sized crowds. The shorter park hours are really stressing me out. Hoping the smaller crowds help us to get more done in less time.
So excited for you. I know you and your mom will have a blast. Have a safe and magical trip!!

Doc Disney

Why am I not surprised that you still had your ADR email:)! You are just like me. I save all those things too. I pull out items like that and people just shake their heads. Thanks for the California Grill ADR info. Based on the calendars, Wishes is scheduled for 9 every night we will be there. I will try for a reservation for 7 or later and I will definitely mention that we are celebrating my birthday.
Glad to hear that the crowds are low compared to summer. I know that the Princess Half Marathon Weekend is super popular and I was worried about summer-sized crowds. The shorter park hours are really stressing me out. Hoping the smaller crowds help us to get more done in less time.
So excited for you. I know you and your mom will have a blast. Have a safe and magical trip!!

Thank you! I was worried about the shorter hours too but we definitely got a lot accomplished because of the lower crowds :) Definitely no need to stress out about it :)

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
My condolences about your father. Honoring him at WDW is a great way to celebrate the love and memories.

As far as visiting in February, its quite pleasant, (at least in our experiences). The weather goes up and down a bit but nothing too dramatic. Wearing light layers helps because it can be chilly in the morning (especially for rope drop time) but as it warms up by early afternoon you can just take that top layer off and be good. I usually wear a very light sweatshirt or wind breaker thats easy to fold up and put in our backpack. Staying at the Poly will make it easy to hit your room and change if need be. Wife and I have experienced days that were cold in the morning but by afternoon I needed to hit the room and put on shorts and a t shirt because it got so warm.

The parks closing early were a concern for us as well but all was good for our trip because crowd levels really thin out in late January/early February so you should be able to get a good bit done in the day time. We have been there during marathon weekends and while they are a big draw, it hasnt ever affected our plans in any major way. I always enjoy coffee in the AM and watching all the marathoners taking jogs around the resort to stay prepared for the race. Im an avid runner but dont do marathons for certain reasons all though I must say that seeing the runners at Disney gives me a bit of an urge to experience one. The ONLY marathon I would ever want to do would be a Disney one. I cant wait to read about your experience. Best of luck and keep up that training! I'll be following along.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom