going as a single parent for the first time...

disney9986

Original Poster
I'm going to Walt Disney World POR for the first time as a single parent, I've been four times previous but not on my own. I'm taking my two daughters (which are teens) and I'm a little scared that being on my on and bringing two teens with me i wont be able to enjoy my holiday as much.
We are going October 29th of this year and would love to know of any tips or there is someone going themselves at this time and would like to meet up in on of the parks maybe?

Hockey89

I'm going to Walt Disney World POR for the first time as a single parent, I've been four times previous but not on my own. I'm taking my two daughters (which are teens) and I'm a little scared that being on my on and bringing two teens with me i wont be able to enjoy my holiday as much.
We are going October 29th of this year and would love to know of any tips or there is someone going themselves at this time and would like to meet up in on of the parks maybe?
Meeting strangers from a board... Kind of creepy request

I am a single mom and will be at Disnsey in September with my six year old son and I get what you mean. I understand how you would like to connect with a another sinlge mom. I say a vacation is both children and adults to enjoy. Example regarding the rides - maybe there is a ride you would like to go on and because of the height restriction you can't. Or if you would like to go out one night on your own and it would be nice to meet up with another single mother for drinks - I get what you are saying. People who are not single parents do not understand the responsibilities a single mom has and really should not say that is a creepy request basically your reall yhave no right to judge. Single mom's are 2 parents combined in one and we do both jobs and would like some space especially on vacation.

Hockey89

I am a single mom and will be at Disnsey in September with my six year old son and I get what you mean. I understand how you would like to connect with a another sinlge mom. I say a vacation is both children and adults to enjoy. Example regarding the rides - maybe there is a ride you would like to go on and because of the height restriction you can't. Or if you would like to go out one night on your own and it would be nice to meet up with another single mother for drinks - I get what you are saying. People who are not single parents do not understand the responsibilities a single mom has and really should not say that is a creepy request basically your reall yhave no right to judge. Single mom's are 2 parents combined in one and we do both jobs and would like some space especially on vacation.
I can judge whatever I want... Thanks...

Yes you can. Basically your judgement really does not and will not effect other choices people make. So the negativity of judgement is really your problem you are projecting. So really the bottom line is people do things to make themselves happy and not listening to judgermenal negative advice.

NYwdwfan

It's not judgmental to suggest that it may not be a good idea to solicit the company of strangers on an internet message board. Disney or not - this is still the internet. It's a safety issue. You're not just engaging the attention of the person you are interacting with. You are on a public forum where ANYONE - from a harmless, well-intentioned stranger to a raging psychopath - can read and gather information. You can never assume that the details you disclose about vacation whereabouts will be used for only good intentions.

catmom46

I also get what you're saying as well and everyone has a right to say whatever they want. I would suggest checking out Disboards, as they have a forum specifically for solo travelers, including single parents. I actually met up with a couple of women through that board on my trip this month and they were very much non-creepy. Good luck!

Queenof<3<3

It's not as scary as it seems. I freaked out my first solo trip with three under 10. Everything you are worried about now changes once your there. Best thing I did before going was research. Down to how we would fit in rides, I literally went car by car seat by seat to see how to arrange us safely and who wod ride with who and all that. Just do as much pre game planning as you can, but I promise you it seems a lot more over whelming now than it really is.

I undersrand the want of another mommy companion, I use to get along so well with other moms alone there. It gives you a sense of you're not alone. hope you find a companion. :)

BostonJP

I don't think it's creepy but I would argue that it's not a great idea either. I am traveling to Disneyland without my wife next month; while I had thought about making a similar request, at the end of the day I just can't fathom leaving my 4 year old son alone with a stranger just to go on a ride (despite how friendly they seem on the internet!).

rob0519

People who are not single parents do not understand the responsibilities a single mom has and really should not say that is a creepy request basically your reall yhave no right to judge. Single mom's are 2 parents combined in one and we do both jobs and would like some space especially on vacation.

Single parents are not the only people who take children to WDW by themselves. Due to my work responsibilities years ago, my wife took our three children to WDW by herself. It's definitely not an easy task. While you may like some space on vacation, taking care of two or more children alone in a resort the size of WDW does not allow for much space. Perhaps you should consider a Disney Cruise for your next vacation where you can drop your children off at the Kid's Club and get some alone time.

LdyApxr

As a former single mom(haven't been one in over 15yrs but I was for 9yrs before that), I can understand wanting to see if any other people are going that might be interested in meeting but probably not with teenage daughters. Mind you, I only have sons(26 and 17 now) and I have left my youngest with a friend I met on a motorcycle forum and OMG did my sister freak out over that! LOL Funny story actually, having chatted with Suzie for over a year and met up with her and her BF at the races in Monterey earlier that year(my husband and I), we found out our oldest was going to be in San Diego for two weeks with the Marines(Devil Pups) and we decided that picking him up from graduation and spending a week at DLR would be fun and it would be our youngster's first DLR trip. Well Suzie invited us to her house after the graduation since she was only 45min away and we hung out, had dinner, and she and Curtis wanted to go to DLR with us the next day plus Curtis' son was 6 and wanted to hang out with Ri who was 6 so they said "Why doesn't he stay the night here and we will meet up at the park in the morning. So we did and my sister freaked! "YOU LEFT RILEY WITH SOMEONE FROM THE INTERNET! They could kidnap him!!!"(Heck she would have really freaked had she known I let her oldest son go out with a hotel waitress when he was 16 while we were planning our wedding and he did not return until morning but I am the Bad Auntie!) and I said "It's not like she can pick up and move overnight!" and 11yrs later Aunt Suzie is still my son's favorite auntie and we still laugh about that.

That being shared, I have a really healthy, hmmm, what would you call it..... meter for shadiness, so much so that my entire family(brothers, sister, aunt, kids, husband) all rely on my ability to read people and situations and I have not failed once so if something seems shady or overly solicitous to helping out (such as "Oh sure, have a few more drinks, I'll watch the girls and oh btw, meet my bf that I did not tell you was going to be with us...." etc) I would certainly pull back on the reins.

Now feel free, everyone start telling me what a horrid idea that could be! LOL ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom