Afternoon Breaks

DarthVader

Sith Lord
The downtime is a plus but you may risk losing out on your return trip to the park, i.e., the park reaches capacity during your absence and they won't let you in.

MickeyMomV

Even with our DS being 11 we still take an afternoon break. We hit rope drop or as close to it as possible and run till just after lunch. Then we go back and nap or just watch TV. We will head back in time for dinner reservations and stay till close. Sometimes you need a break to recharge, sometimes you need a break from other park guests!

Weather_Lady

I'd suggest limiting long sit-down meals to breakfast/brunch (if cost is an issue, since breakfast is usually the cheapest meal at any restaurant), or during dinnertime (after a nap, and an ideal time for everyone if the cost isn't prohibitive), so your child is rested and refreshed. Character meals are high excitement, and pricy, and there's no sense wasting money on a lunchtime meal that carries a higher risk of meltdowns because it's overlapping with the usual nap time.

We typically take a 3-4 hour break in the middle of every Disney day, too (even though the kids are older now and don't nap at home). About an hour of that is spent traveling to/from the hotel. Another 90 minutes is spent napping, and if we can squeeze in a quick dip in the pool with the remaining time, we do so. We find that a daily post-lunch nap at Disney (especially since we're always up early for rope drop arrivals) is an absolute must, regardless of our ages or fitness levels, and keeps all of us cool, recharged, refreshed and happy.

John C. Shepherd

We took breaks with our 4 year old, I think she enjoyed it. cant say she napped but she did rest a little. then we would gear up for the afternoon and evening. Breaks were key the first day there she was tired from being so excited to see all the sites and characters.

swimming is good or a character lunch or just downtime, you will enjoy it also.

Mamaof2QTs

This is always a long debate between my husband and me. We've tried it all.

If your kids are little, I highly recommend a nap in the stroller. We split up and take turns riding rides. It's a good time to shop. We like to go to Innoventions at EPCOT if it's too hot or too cold to be outside.

If you just want to cool off and rest for a while, we love the Baby Centers. Air Conditioned with Disney movies, books, toys and it's OK to eat snacks. The cleanest bathrooms in the park are inside here. Unfortunately no strollers inside.

The last 2 trips we paid a premium to be at The Wilderness Lodge just so we could ride the boat back to take a nap. Prior to that we drove. The kids fall asleep the second we got in the car. Then we drove around souvenir shopping or stocking up on diapers and snacks at Target plus a stop at Starbucks. You don't have to pay to re-enter the parking lot.

I do not recommend a character meal if your kids are tired. It s money down the drain.

The top image is the baby center. The bottom image is a Character Dinner.
image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom