The crash of the Canadian Dollar.

officialtom

It does hurt, but it won't stop us. We went last year when the dollar wasn't so great either, and we'll be going again in Jan-Feb 2016!

That said, I'm sure there are some people who stay closer to home rather than spending more south of the border. We're just too WDW-crazed to let something we can't control take over our plans.

Upvote 0

The Tuna

I definitely would have made some changes had i not booked things so far in advance (DVC points rental) and didn't have a large group going with us. That said, one day I will be dead and I can't take my money so I'll keep building memories for myself and my family. I went back in the late 90's early 2000's when it was around 65-68 cents and it sucked then too. I much preferred my last trip when it was at par. Not sure going forward how often I will head down but that is because everything in general is more expensive. 70% of what we consume is imported including Gas since we have few oil refineries. Oil drops, Dollar drops, Gas prices go up. In turn food goes up, clothes go up, vacation prices go up, home heating goes up, taxes and government debt goes up.

But we need to enjoy life while we can so while things will change for the majority of us, I'm sure we will still be able to find ways to enjoy life and the House of Mouse.

Upvote 0

JIMINYCR

Lots of Canadians coming into Maine to vacation, so they are still spending their money somewhere. Friends of ours that have rental units that usually fill up for summer were all reserved and rented again by Canadian travelers. Bottom line is if people have the desire to go and spend even though the value of the dollar drops, they find a way to make it work if they want it badly enough. Disney still has the drawing power.... even though you have to save a bit more to afford it and be more discerning on spending for the extras.

Upvote 0

thomas998

I wonder if any Canadians are think twice about taking an American vacation.
All of the sudden that trip to Walt Disney World costs 30% more.

Looks like it is just going back to the way it was when I was growing up.. Used to enjoy a trip to Canada because stuff there was cheaper... Can even remember always getting a lot of quarters when I went there during college because I could use them in the dorm's washer and dryers and it was like a 25% discount on clean clothes.

Upvote 0

Beastly74

Unfortunately the low Cdn $ will prevent us from taking any trips to Disney World in the near future. Plus the company that I work for is going under so that really complicates matters. Over 400+ people are losing their jobs this year at my work :(. Economy in my neck of the woods is really suffering but I am still holding out hope that we will make it back in 2016 for our 15 year anniversary. I know 1st world problem eh? Can I make it back to Disney?!? LOL. Dreaming of Disney (and reading trip reports) keeps my spirit up ;).

Upvote 0

mattdenine

No change for myself still going in October and have plans to go again in March 2016. I wish the exchange was better but it's not thread of the world

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom