Disney buys Carousel Inn for 32 million

TP2000

Not a bad idea, but there's a lot more land in the area they will need to acquire before this can happen.

Disney already owns Pumbaa, plus the US Customs offices and office park north of Pumbaa. It aligns perfectly with the back side of this new hotel. Disney owns more than you might think.

Stevek

So I was listening to the Sweep Spot podcast last night (episode 160) and they mentioned a rumor that the recently purchased property directly east of the Carousel Inn might be used to handle backstage storage/facilities...in place of what could be pulled out of the current DL backstage area to accomodate expansion. Will be interesting to see what they actually pull off with this space.

dweezil78

So I was listening to the Sweep Spot podcast last night (episode 160) and they mentioned a rumor that the recently purchased property directly east of the Carousel Inn might be used to handle backstage storage/facilities...in place of what could be pulled out of the current DL backstage area to accomodate expansion. Will be interesting to see what they actually pull off with this space.

That's a real interesting thought. The plot of land occupied by Toontown could double in size if the facilities right in back of it were relocated across the street. Now I of course have absolutely no idea what facilities those are exactly and how essential they are to the location they are in!

lazyboy97o

None of this is rumor. As @TP2000 pointed out in another post, Disney has already begun filing permits to relocate backstage facilities to the office park area just north of Pumbaa and behind Carousel Inn. The size of Star Wars Land will be substantially bigger than Toontown's current footprint and it's already in motion. :)
There is going to quite the meltdown when this eventually gets announced.

Cosmic Commando

Something I've been thinking about, and this seems as good of a place as any... will the new Star Wars Land have to close every time Disneyland has fireworks? Seems like a big fly in the ointment, no?

TP2000

Something I've been thinking about, and this seems as good of a place as any... will the new Star Wars Land have to close every time Disneyland has fireworks? Seems like a big fly in the ointment, no?

Not if the portion of Star Wars Land north of the current ranch is indoors: Accessed via an indoor "land" like Mermaid Lagoon in DisneySea which leads to a satellite warehouse ride building like Indy or Pirates or Mansion or Small World or Radiator Springs Racers.

And when you are creating alien worlds on distant planets, I would think you would want an indoor controlled environment anyway to create proper alien skies with double suns and close-up moons instead of Earth's sunshiny blue skies of SoCal.
two-suns-tatooine-star-wars.jpg

Stevek

None of this is rumor. As @TP2000 pointed out in another post, Disney has already begun filing permits to relocate backstage facilities to the office park area just north of Pumbaa and behind Carousel Inn. The size of Star Wars Land will be substantially bigger than Toontown's current footprint and it's already in motion. :)
Thanks. I remember discussion about that plot but couldn't find the thread and don't remember seeing discussion about the backstage areas moving. Last I remember was a discussion about that land being used for more parking.

corona79

There are dictionaries available online.

When someone outside of Disney says "X will happen on Disney property", that's what those fluent in English call a rumor.

GiveMeTheMusic

There are dictionaries available online.

When someone outside of Disney says "X will happen on Disney property", that's what those fluent in English call a rumor.

Permits have been filed, which means it's no longer "rumor" territory. Just because you don't want to believe it doesn't mean it's not happening - every insider who knows anything has been saying Toontown is on the chopping block for Star Wars for over a year now. There's a reason for that - because it's happening.

TP2000

History has shown that just because Disney says something is going to happen, it doesn't mean it's actually going to happen. They can be unreliable, too. I'm sure you know that.

Agreed. That's been the case since Walt was considering expansion in 1955. :D

KT_5960_N37B.jpg

And 1956...
KTPBK_56_N05B.jpg

And 1957...
LS.PNG

And it only took them 59 years to come up with this, an entrance to a crowd control overflow route...
i-FfkjWHM-M.png

Last edited:

TP2000

Last I remember was a discussion about that land being used for more parking.

Short term, the land will be used for administration uses in the existing office parks while existing backstage buildings are bulldozed for Disneyland park expansion.

Mid term, the land gets a 5,000 space parking structure on the south end with a sky bridge over Harbor while the north end continues as administration in the Sybron office park.

Long term, the new parking structure is expanded north out to 8,000+ spaces with the bulldozing of the Sybron building while administration uses are moved into newly built facilities in what is now a CM parking lot north of Mickey & Friends.

At least that's what a little bird told me. ;)

Californian Elitist

Agreed. That's been the case since Walt was considering expansion in 1955. :D

KT_5960_N37B.jpg

And 1956...
KTPBK_56_N05B.jpg

And 1957...
LS.PNG

And it only took them 59 years to come up with this, an entrance to a crowd control overflow route...
i-FfkjWHM-M.png

Let us not forget WestCOT, a biggie. They announced that would be Disneyland's second gate and we ended up with something completely different. The list goes on of plans that were announced, but fell through.

phrog

Has anybody heard a closing date for toontown? We are going to DLR in March of 2016 and I really wanted to ride Roger Rabbit.

Stevek

Has anybody heard a closing date for toontown? We are going to DLR in March of 2016 and I really wanted to ride Roger Rabbit.
I have a feeling it will still be open. My guess is that they bulldoze the backstage area before they dig in to Toontown...but I could be wrong of course.

GiveMeTheMusic

I'd be surprised if it closed that soon, but I don't know a specific date. It stands to reason it will close sometime in 2016, since the new land is targeted for a 2019 opening.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom