Confused by new-fangled technology

Dizknee_Phreek

Original Poster
Hello all! Been a LONG time since I posted here (although I do keep a check on the latest happenings at WDW).
Sadly, I have not been to WDW since 2008. But my husband and I are planning on going next fall. SO cannot wait! It will be our first visit together as a couple! The more I hear about the Magic Bands, etc, etc, I'm getting a little nervous. I don't know anything about all this new technology they have in the parks. I know you're supposed to be able to use the bands as a ticket/credit card/room key, but that's literally all I know about it. I've seen people comment that for a smooth trip, you pretty much have to use all this stuff and rely heavily on your smart phones. Is this true? My husband will probably be able to pick up on this stuff quickly...I, however, don't even own a smart phone (I keep it old school with my flip phone). I feel like he spends too much time on his phone as it is and was really disheartened to think he may have to spend even more time on it at WDW. We're both pretty laid back people and just like to do things at our own pace. But we also want to be able to do everything we want to do on this trip, seeing as we have no idea when we will get to go back. Is it even possible to have a leisurely visit to WDW any more? Or has the latest technology made that a thing of the past?

Mukta

Did you used to stay onsite? Similar to the Key to the World card you used to get, a Magic band is now your room key, dining credits, park admission, photopass card etc.

As for Fastpasses, you can book them online ahead of time and get new ones in the park. You don't need a smart phone for any of that.

WDW has never been a leisurely vacation for me, but I am not a leisurely person, so I can't answer that part. I create a touring plan for each day to make sure i see every attraction, eat every snack and drink every drink that I want to.

Your best bet for a leisurely vacation with shorter lines is to go during a less popular time of year. The week of Sept 10 has always worked well for me.

CAPTAIN HOOK

Is it even possible to have a leisurely visit to WDW any more? Or has the latest technology made that a thing of the past?
The latest technology has put the emphasis on pre-trip planning to make your in-park experience better (I think).

We return to WDW in 14 days - our last trip was December 2008 so I was in the same situation as you now find yourself in.

This is how how went about organising this trip -
Book Disney Resort, Park Tickets and flights (this was done almost 12 months in advance).
Create your My Disney Experience account online. Link your party members to your account and add your ticket media (essential for booking your Fast Pass+).
At 180 days make your Advanced Dining Reservations (as 2008).
At 60 days (if you're a Resort guest) you can go into your MDE account online and book 3 FP+ per person per day for the length of your ticket media.
If you're staying offsite you have to wait until 30 days to make your first days FP+ and then revisit the website on each subsequent day thereafter to book another days FP+
Travel and enjoy.

You can use a smartphone app to access your MDE and make alterations, book things (FP+ etc) but I haven't yet found it necessary (online is far better).

Your Magic Band stores all the information linked to your MDE. So, it shows restaurant staff that you have an ADR, it shows that you're on the Dining Plan (and is used to "pay" for any meals on it), it is your Resort room key, it stores a credit card to allow for purchases in stores and restaurants, it allows access into the parks. You can also use it to book additional FP+ when you're in the parks (after you've used your 3 pre booked ones)

Easy :)

Jon81uk

I've not been since 2010 either, but Magic Band is basically just a Key to the World card you wear on your wrist. The plastic Key to the World cards used before 2013 also were your park ticket, room key and could charge purchases to your room bill, so nothing changes here.

Biggest change is FastPass, you can now book three in advance on the website. Don't need to use the app, just the website if you want to. In the park there are kiosks where you can check and amend FP as well as booking a fourth (if available) and fifth FP etc.

graphite1326

To all us "older" less technology savvy people. I don't own a smart phone either. However, on our last trip we used the magic bands and fastpass+ without a problem. I created my "mydisneyexpereince" account on line and was completely lost. So here is the best advise anyone can give you if you are like me. CALL the number on your "mydisneyexperience" page. They are a great help and talked me through it. We had a great time and the bands are pretty much like the key cards they used to use.

officialtom

Don't fret. Do your booking for FP+ etc. in advance on the computer, and don't worry about it while you're there unless you really want to change something. You can also use one of the FP+ kiosks in the parks if you don't want your husband on his phone!

Dizknee_Phreek

Original Poster
Awesome! Thank you all so much for all the great info!
So do you have to get the Magic Bands? Or can you still do things the "old" way?
One thing that concerned me was having to book Fast Passes in advance. But I suppose if you can change them around later, that's not such a big deal.
I feel I should clarify my comment about a "leisurely" trip. WDW is certainly the least relaxing vacation ever (not that that's bad...those are my favorite types of vacations!). It's just that when I was growing up, my sister was the planner. She has a bad case of OCD, so EEEEVERYTHING was planned out at least 6 months in advance (in her defense, she was diagnosed with juvenile diabetes when she was 13, so she had to learn how to follow a strict schedule at an early age). I, on the other hand, like to just go with the flow and savor the moment. Obviously, there will have to be a degree of planning involved seeing as neither myself or my husband have been to WDW in such a long time and have no idea when we will be able to go back (not anytime soon with the way their prices are going up). I just hated the thought of our entire trip being planned around Fast Pass times,etc before we even step foot into the parks.

Rob562

Awesome! Thank you all so much for all the great info!
So do you have to get the Magic Bands? Or can you still do things the "old" way?
One thing that concerned me was having to book Fast Passes in advance. But I suppose if you can change them around later, that's not such a big deal.

Since you only pre-schedule three FP+ choices, I find it's easiest to think of them as a base framework for the day and then tour spontaneously around them. Many attractions can be changed and re-scheduled on the fly at a kiosk or using the phone app, though there are some headliner attractions that have little availability to change day-of.

And to answer your first question... I guess it depends on what you mean by doing things the "old way". The paper FP tickets are gone.

If you're staying at a Disney hotel, you'll be issued MagicBands no matter what. If you'd prefer not to wear them you can request cards at the front desk to take the place of your Bands. But whether you use the Band or the card, they're still interacting with the same systems and they pretty much work exactly the same as before for things like room entry, park entry, charging to your room, using your Dining Plan, etc. The only major thing that's changed is FastPass into FastPass+. And whether you use the Band or the card, it's in your best interest to at least pre-schedule things.

-Rob

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom