DHS Makeover - What we know so far.....

WDWdream97

Nothing.

The correct location for numerous reasons.
A lavish resort.
Amazing versions of attractions.

But it cost around 4 billion dollars for phase one and opened at the start of one of Europe's biggest recessions.

The park was a runaway success from day one - so much so extra capacity had to be fast tracked - but the debt from loans for the original 4 billion for the whole resort built up faster than profits could pay it off. The majority of recession hit Europeans couldn't justify staying in a resort nor staying in the park for more than a day, two at the most.

And now they've got the funds they are showing what refurbs should really be like.
I feel like DLP is the only resort that has to potential to be like another Disney World (yes I know not as big). Hopefully the referbs and Disney now owning almost 80% of the place will help grow Disneyland Paris to its full potential.

roj2323

Demolition costs peanuts. Don't spread nonsense.

I'll quote myself:

You could probably demo Lights, Motors, Action, Indy, and Catastrophe Canyon for $10M combined. Probably less.
Considering the recycle value of the structures I'd think they could find someone to do it for free or nearly free.

Crazydisneyfanluke

I feel like DLP is the only resort that has to potential to be like another Disney World (yes I know not as big). Hopefully the referbs and Disney now owning almost 80% of the place will help grow Disneyland Paris to its full potential.
It has to get over a small bump that was dropped in the spirited thread first.

tissandtully

Does anyone think any of this infrastructure money would be used to make bus-only roads? I seriously think this should be done, it would be much cheaper than a monorail expansion.

bakntime

No that makes sense.... $2.2 after they subtract the infrastructure? Sounds right.
Yeah, that would make a lot of sense. $600M for the parking garage + roadwork. Probably looking at $200M for the parking garage, leaving another $400M for rerouting the parking entry road to Victory Way, plus whatever else needs to be done. If the numbers are right, that would be around $2.2 for the park itself (demo/construction).

Does anyone think any of this infrastructure money would be used to make bus-only roads? I seriously think this should be done, it would be much cheaper than a monorail expansion.
I've thought about that before, but I think they would run into problems with cars using those roads anyway, even though they're not supposed to. Even with giant BUS ONLY signs above the roads.

But it would definitely be nice if the buses had a few areas where they could just cruise through instead of stopping at intersections and traffic lights. It's the worst around the DD/DS area on Buena Vista Dr.

I just wonder if there's really much advantage to be gained without going over the top and creating hundreds of millions in new roads just to shave a few minutes off a bus ride.

Last edited:

CrescentLake

Nothing.

The correct location for numerous reasons.
A lavish resort.
Amazing versions of attractions.

But it cost around 4 billion dollars for phase one and opened at the start of one of Europe's biggest recessions.

The park was a runaway success from day one - so much so extra capacity had to be fast tracked - but the debt from loans for the original 4 billion for the whole resort built up faster than profits could pay it off. The majority of recession hit Europeans couldn't justify staying in a resort nor staying in the park for more than a day, two at the most.

And now they've got the funds they are showing what refurbs should really be like.

This is the best summary that I've heard of what happened with the resort, and cleared up a lot of my own misconceptions.

I visited Disneyland Paris for the very first time at the end of June (my first trip ever to a Disney resort that was not WDW) and fell in love with it, despite obvious problems. I can't wait to see what they do with money for refurbs and expansions. I may just have to go back...

MrDee

@ULPO46 DLP problem is that it's built in the wrong country, in a culture that just doesn't 'do' Disney well. The weathers miserable, taking out a often unrecognised segment of the European population that won't pay a lot of money to go somewhere where sunshine isn't pretty much guaranteed. The 'Magic Kingdom' style park is gorgeous though..

I lived in Europe for almost 5 years, and one thing I learned is that Europeans do not let the weather dictate their happiness as much as we Americans do. Another thing I learned....Americans aren't as popular around the globe as I thought they were.

Katie G

But it would definitely be nice if the buses had a few areas where they could just cruise through instead of stopping at intersections and traffic lights. It's the worst around the DD/DS area on Buena Vista Dr.

They are building dedicated bus lanes for DD/DS area. All the construction right now is a mess, but when finished, it should ease traffic in the area considerably

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Yeah, that would make a lot of sense. $600M for the parking garage + roadwork. Probably looking at $200M for the parking garage, leaving another $400M for rerouting the parking entry road to Victory Way, plus whatever else needs to be done. If the numbers are right, that would be around $2.2 for the park itself (demo/construction).

I've thought about that before, but I think they would run into problems with cars using those roads anyway, even though they're not supposed to. Even with giant BUS ONLY signs above the roads.

I just wonder if there's really much advantage to be gained without going over the top and creating hundreds of millions in new roads just to shave a few minutes off a bus ride.

$200 million for the parking garage is to high. We know the ones at Disney Springs are only costing around $50 million each, I also don't think the re-routing of the entrance would be any where near $400 million.

Lynn Stephens

I keep thinking about the Park Entrance. When this is discussed are we talking about the ticket booths and entry to Hollywood Blvd or are we just talking about the parking lot and bus stops?

bakntime

$200 million for the parking garage is to high. We know the ones at Disney Springs are only costing around $50 million each, I also don't think the re-routing of the entrance would be any where near $400 million.
It depends on a few factors, but I tend to agree. But when it comes to stuff like that, I think it's a safer bet to over-estimate. I believe the ones at Disney Springs are 2,500 spaces each (total 5,000). The one at DHS might be 7,500 (I doubt it will be 10,000 like someone else said, but who knows). That would put the cost at around $150M, but you give some wiggle room in case they decide to go nuts and make it 10,000 spaces ($200M). The parking structure at Disneyland ran around $220M, I believe, and has 10,000 spaces.

As for the roads and stuff, I don't know how extensive the plans are. As @Katie G pointed out above they are indeed doing some bus-only work (but I think that's just to the south of the park where the current "main" car entrance to the parking lot is), but again, I'm not sure anyone knows how extensive this will be. I do find $400M to be a fairly ridiculous figure just to reroute some roads, but you never know what might be included in this whole plan.

So anyway, my long winded point is that I agree, $600M for all that stuff is a tad pessimistic. But being conservative, if the $2.8B "total" is accurate, then $2.2 would probably be the minimum you'd expect to go towards the park itself.

Anyway, all we were really trying to do is to figure out some possible math (of how an insider could be correct about a $2.2B figure, when even though we basically know it's $2.8 in total)

bakntime

I keep thinking about the Park Entrance. When this is discussed are we talking about the ticket booths and entry to Hollywood Blvd or are we just talking about the parking lot and bus stops?
Park entrance = parking lot entrance.

I don't think there are any plans to move/change the actual guest entry gates (Hollywood Blvd, turnstiles, etc)

The plan is reportedly to move the car entry road (along with the parking toll gates) to Victory Way, and change the south entry road to be buses only. I don't think any other major roadway changes have been rumored yet.

bakntime

Thanks, I've read a lot rumor sites before I landed here and I couldn't understand the logistics of moving the gate.
Sure thing! As for what little information we have from insiders thus far, the only things they're fairly certain on is that $2.8B is going to the entire DHS project, including the park itself (most likely a Pixar themed land expansion that "begins" near Toy Story Mania, and a Star Wars themed land to take over the area around/behind Star Tours, Indiana Jones, etc), the roads around it, and a new parking garage.

For my part (I'm completely speculating) that they won't touch Hollywood Blvd or Sunset Blvd whatsoever, with the rest of the park subject to possible changes, either in attractions or structural/pathways.

That's pretty much as specific as the information is right now. Beyond that, most of the other things you hear are either based on old rumors or they are just complete fan speculation.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
Sure thing! As for what little information we have from insiders thus far, the only things they're fairly certain on is that $2.8B is going to the entire DHS project, including the park itself (most likely a Pixar themed land expansion that "begins" near Toy Story Mania, and a Star Wars themed land to take over the area around/behind Star Tours, Indiana Jones, etc), the roads around it, and a new parking garage.

For my part (I'm completely speculating) that they won't touch Hollywood Blvd or Sunset Blvd whatsoever, with the rest of the park subject to possible changes, either in attractions or structural/pathways.

That's pretty much as specific as the information is right now. Beyond that, most of the other things you hear are either based on old rumors or they are just complete fan speculation.

my guess is it may also include some show changes/updates... like BatB, don't know if Little Mermaid will be demolished or what

bakntime

my guess is it may also include some show changes/updates... like BatB, don't know if Little Mermaid will be demolished or what
Yeah, they're definitely up for grabs. Obviously nothing concrete, but I could see both of them being either replaced or demolished for other stuff at some point. I get the sense, though, with as few attractions as DHS has at the moment, they'll keep them going until at the very least the Pixar land is complete.

ULPO46

Sure thing! As for what little information we have from insiders thus far, the only thing they're fairly certain on is that $2.8B is going to the entire DHS project, including the park itself (most likely a Pixar themed land expansion that "begins" near Toy Story Mania, and a Star Wars themed land to take over the area around/behind Star Tours, Indiana Jones, etc), the roads around it, and a new parking garage. For my part, and I'm just speculating, they won't touch Hollywood Blvd or Sunset Blvd whatsoever.

The question remains though. With OMD and the Animation studio building entirely shut down, whats to go in there. Since Disney has proven to the fans time and time again that recycling is the new craze, I feel like that's where phase one of the Pixar expansion would take place. As for what used to be the back lot tour, it's difficult to say. The trams are still kept in the backlot, they have been in the same spot for over a year which offers questions that no one really has been asking. I highly doubt we will hear much. TWDC is keeping this project as secret as the new Star Wars Film. It's getting annoying, especially when you read the long list of complaints on Yelp, Google, and the WDW Official Blog and feedback page. People are getting upset and for good reason. When this project begins it cannot be another fantasy land or avatar land this needs to be built in less than 2 years. Also give or take that the parking lot becomes a garage format like that of DLC, expect to park in EPCOT and be shuttled to the park. Especially during peak season.

ULPO46

Yeah, they're definitely up for grabs. Obviously nothing concrete, but I could see both of them being either replaced or demolished for other stuff at some point. I get the sense, though, with as few attractions as DHS has at the moment, they'll keep them going until at the very least the Pixar land is complete.
The muppet show really could use an update I don't get why they've waited this long. As for the other shows I don't think they will be going anywhere anytime soon. I have a friend who performs in Batb, she's told me they haven't got any news that they will be leaving. Plus the AEA, actors equity association, has a really strong presence. If at anything a new show could come down in the future, how ever unlikely it may sound. As for what was animation courtyard, Little Mermaid and Play house Disney/ Disney Junior, will stay for now, none of the plans I've seen are to demo that area for now. It's been thought of, but like you all have seen with your wallets, there's barely anything to do at the park now. They won't take out any of those shows until something new is there to replace it.

UpAllNight

I lived in Europe for almost 5 years, and one thing I learned is that Europeans do not let the weather dictate their happiness as much as we Americans do. Another thing I learned....Americans aren't as popular around the globe as I thought they were.

I'm British and I'd say most Brits do let the weather influence :)

Wouldn't advocate the Daily Mail as a reading source in general but have a quick look at the comments on their Disneyland Paris price variation article and I'd say some of the top rated ones are reflective of most Brits' feelings.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom