TAFI Town Hall

Zweiland

"By round" and "By elimination" effectively mean the same thing. Neither of them make sense, because not all competitions have rounds where people are eliminated. Like 30 Days, as you said.

What I was proposing was to give one point for each person you beat. Which is exactly like the current system, and has never failed before.

Matt7187

"By round" and "By elimination" effectively mean the same thing. Neither of them make sense, because not all competitions have rounds where people are eliminated. Like 30 Days, as you said.

What I was proposing was to give one point for each person you beat. Which is exactly like the current system, and has never failed before.
Alright, I misunderstood, my bad. Makes sense now. :D

ThemeParkJunkee

Hi! :)

Unsolicited comment from someone who came into this forum with interest and got scared off a few days ago. Forgive me if this is not permitted. It is a public website.

After the "issues" that occurred during SA, a competition I was reading regularly, I popped in here because I really had no clue about this whole heirarchy thing on this particular forum. Having never read all the rules but just studying the competitions, I actually did think this was a "community" that did not have a heirarchy and I liked that. After the SA issues were revealed, I began reading this thread and some others that were "stickied".

I like the ideas being presented here over the last couple of days. I didn't realize how complex this could really get and do not feel qualified to offer suggestions. I just want to let you know what one of those "new" or "potential" members are thinking about your ideas and your forum. Carry on.

englanddg

One Little Spark...

Unsolicited comment from someone who came into this forum with interest and got scared off a few days ago. Forgive me if this is not permitted. It is a public website.

After the "issues" that occurred during SA, a competition I was reading regularly, I popped in here because I really had no clue about this whole heirarchy thing on this particular forum. Having never read all the rules but just studying the competitions, I actually did think this was a "community" that did not have a heirarchy and I liked that. After the SA issues were revealed, I began reading this thread and some others that were "stickied".

I like the ideas being presented here over the last couple of days. I didn't realize how complex this could really get and do not feel qualified to offer suggestions. I just want to let you know what one of those "new" or "potential" members are thinking about your ideas and your forum. Carry on.
Thanks for your input, and feel free to put forward any thoughts / ideas as you come across them. The goal has always been to be inclusive and open, the question is how to get there without us ending up with pages upon pages of disagreement and drama (as has now happened). So, if something crosses your mind, even though you feel you are "on the outside", feel free to chime in. All are welcome.

Cheers!

JokersWild

Mostly off-topic, but what would you guys say to the setting up of a Work in Progress thread. My thinking is that it could be an informal thread where people could kind of air out their ideas to others to get a second opinion before moving forward.

Thoughts?

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Mostly off-topic, but what would you guys say to the setting up of a Work in Progress thread. My thinking is that it could be an informal thread where people could kind of air out their ideas to others to get a second opinion before moving forward.

Thoughts?
I like the idea as this thread is a sticky, and really shouldn't have all this discussion in it anyhow.

I don't like the term "work in progress", though I do understand why you use it, because I'd rather we come to a decision sooner than later. The LAST thing we need is another 6 - 12 month debate about the same crap we've been discussing / debating for years. Obviously the solution we all agreed upon last year didn't work.

So...lets decide quickly and move forward with something else.

Rule by committee generally means nothing ever gets done. It does mean everyone gets their say, but nothing every gets done...and we saw that (you and I) first hand with the Convos.

My proposals involve really no rules at all as a result, as that's the only way to get around it.

JokersWild

I like the idea as this thread is a sticky, and really shouldn't have all this discussion in it anyhow.

I don't like the term "work in progress", though I do understand why you use it, because I'd rather we come to a decision sooner than later. The LAST thing we need is another 6 - 12 month debate about the same crap we've been discussing / debating for years. Obviously the solution we all agreed upon last year didn't work.

So...lets decide quickly and move forward with something else.

Rule by committee generally means nothing ever gets done. It does mean everyone gets their say, but nothing every gets done...and we saw that (you and I) first hand with the Convos.

My proposals involve really no rules at all as a result, as that's the only way to get around it.
I meant mainly for Imagineering projects (like I said, it was an off-topic comment), but you do raise a good point in that we might want to move this to its' own dedicated thread. It'll keep this thread smaller, certainly.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I meant mainly for Imagineering projects (like I said, it was an off-topic comment), but you do raise a good point in that we might want to move this to its' own dedicated thread. It'll keep this thread smaller, certainly.
If you want to try and start it, go ahead. A general conversation thread isn't unheard of in forums, and could work well.

Zweiland

Welcome! You're right that figuring out what to do is complex, but the idea now is to make the system as simple as possible.

You're as qualified to offer suggestions as we are, though it looks like we are getting a hold on things. We've been starting from scratch.

ThemeParkJunkee

Welcome! You're right that figuring out what to do is complex, but the idea now is to make the system as simple as possible.

You're as qualified to offer suggestions as we are, though it looks like we are getting a hold on things. We've been starting from scratch.

I'm as qualified as anyone to give an opinion but haven't yet participated in a competition. I defer to those who have. I do prefer a community to a heirarchy.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I'm as qualified as anyone to give an opinion but haven't yet participated in a competition. I defer to those who have. I do prefer a community to a heirarchy.
There never was a hierarchy. There was a group tasked (through elections) by the community, at the communities behest, to help organize the community.

Since then we've nearly tripled in size, and new people have come on board, and what made a lot of sense in the fall of last year (and had community support), no longer does.

That's the long and short of it.

spacemt354

Chili's
I think you're in the majority there in terms of community preference over hierarchy.

And really please contribute more, as more opinions really open up different perspectives on how people view the community and suggestions to improve it.

englanddg

One Little Spark...

He is actually a poster boy for the system being as simple as possible...as he is new and can give unvarnished opinions about what HE thinks is too complex.

In my mind, if it can't be understood after reading a post or two in a FAQ, it is too complex. And I think we use that as a razor of sorts to keep us from more complex ideas.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
This thread is for debate and discussion. It absolutely belongs here.
That wasn't why it was stickied in the first place, but it makes sense.

The purpose here was for debate and discussion, but not a free for all.

That said, it is what it is, and the Convos and the like have been "tossed out the window" so to speak, so yeah, I don't mind it all being here...until a new person comes in and sees it as sticky.

Perhaps a third sticky should be there, one that is the FAQ? Or we convert the one post ICS sticky to an FAQ?

For a new person, trying to catch up on dozens of pages of chatter can be daunting, and most won't do it.

Zweiland

There never was a hierarchy. There was a group tasked (through elections) by the community, at the communities behest, to help organize the community.

Since then we've nearly tripled in size, and new people have come on board, and what made a lot of sense in the fall of last year (and had community support), no longer does.

That's the long and short of it.
Exactly. It wasn't some sort of dictatorship, it was a democracy. And the conversationalists didn't really enjoy a higher privilege than the rest of the public.
He is actually a poster boy for the system being as simple as possible...as he is new and can give unvarnished opinions about what HE thinks is too complex.

In my mind, if it can't be understood after reading a post or two in a FAQ, it is too complex. And I think we use that as a razor of sorts to keep us from more complex ideas.
Right. But I think that's a "she," at least according to her profile.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom