Underrated/Overrated Sit Downs

JAG107

Underrated: Biergarten, Big River Grille
Entertainment and atmosphere, plus great German confort food. BRG, come on, craft brews, decent alfredo and great burgers and nachos ON the Boardwalk!
Overrated: Via Napoli. Never again. $40 for a bland pizza?

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Over rated Califonia Grill, our server literally had me in tears. We dressed for the occassion, acted appropriately & frankly he treated us like dirt I won't be back, everyone else did a very good job of "avoiding" seeing what was going on!.

Under rated Boma, the complete opposite, fabulous server & amazing experience, we were also treated wonderfully at Artist Point & the Brown Derby.

I'm sorry to hear of your experience at California Grill, it is one of my favorites. Did you speak to a manager about your treatment, they should be informed of behavior that leaves you feeling uncomfortable.

Club Cooloholic

Original Poster
Over rated Califonia Grill, our server literally had me in tears. We dressed for the occassion, acted appropriately & frankly he treated us like dirt I won't be back, everyone else did a very good job of "avoiding" seeing what was going on!.

Under rated Boma, the complete opposite, fabulous server & amazing experience, we were also treated wonderfully at Artist Point & the Brown Derby.
I loved Brown Derby, for lunch it was a perfect escape from the hustle and bustle and the Cobb is great.

Last edited:

KeithVH

Overrated - Cali Grill, Le Cellier, CRT, 'Ohana, San Angel, Cape May

Underrated - Trails End, Narcoosee's, Kona, GF Cafe, Nine Dragons

We've eaten at all of them more than once. The overrated list is very time-bounded. Had you asked this question 10 years ago, totally different list.

NiarrNDisney

I'm probably alone on some of my choices but here's my list:

__ Overrated __

50's Prime Time (DHS)
Chef Mickey's (CR)
Citricos (GFR)
Le Celliar (Epcot)
Whispering Canyon (WL)

__ Underrated __

Grand Flordian Cafe (GFR)
Maya Grill (CSR)
Restaurant Marrakesh (Epcot)
Turf Club (SSR)
Wave (CR)

ShareBDwithMickey

I'm sorinvolvedy to hear of your experience at California Grill, it is one of my favorites. Did you speak to a manager about your treatment, they should be informed of behavior that leaves you feeling uncomfortable.
The manager was circulating but eveyone avoided getting Involved. My husband was so disgusted he just wanted to leave, I wanted to talk to the manager but he said not to bother as the way all the other staff were reacting indicated they were all we aware how this revolting individual was behaving & that it wasn't unusual!

It was like we had the plague, no one but no one wanted to get involved!

Frankly I couldn't wait to get clear of the place, but I was determined not to let this ruin our trip which was to celebrate my birthday & our silver wedding anniversary.

We have moved on & won't be back thats it.

DarthVader

Sith Lord
BOG is overrated. I had a FP+ for lunch and the line was humongous, I come to find out that the only way to get in at lunch is FP+ and everyone waiting has one. What's the point of FP+ then?

Once we got inside, I was surprised, that I had to order at a self help kiosk, trying to figure out what my kids and wife wants via a kiosk was not all that enjoyable.

We then had to wonder the various dining rooms that seemed to be jammed packed for a table, after about 10 minutes looking we finally found it and then shortly after that our meals came. The food was decent, but the whole experience was lacking.

I asked if my kids wanted to eat there for our next trip and they emphatically said NO.

GeoDonJac34

Overrated: 50s Prime Time. I really thought I would love this place, but I thought the food was pretty bland.
Underrated: Kona breakfast. I know it gets a lot of love but it seems mostly for Tonga Toast. To me, The Samoan is probably the best breakfast I ever had. I also think Grand Floridian Cafe is very good.

Hockey89

Overrated... Cal Grill: Too loud and it has turned into a giant daycare...Truly sad..
Jiko: I wanted to love this place but blah... It was good but not a must...

TaoBoxer

Underrated for me would be the Wave. Eaten there quite a few times & never had a bad meal. Also, San Angel Inn.
Overrated would be Yak & Yeti & Fulton's Crab house.
Oh, w/the exception of Tsingtao brew, 9Dragons was ....not good.

Sweet Melissa

The overrated list is very time-bounded. Had you asked this question 10 years ago, totally different list.
I completely agree. Not only is a restaurant's quality often cyclical, so is public opinion. For instance, while I think I would still call Le Cellier overrated too, I didn't mention it because it's definitely not as lauded as it was a few years ago.

The Wave is our favorite breakfast on property, and I would agree with some others here that it's highly underrated.

I thought BOG was extremely overrated. I am not a picky eater or one to complain about food normally, but I thought my sandwich tasted like a microwave meal. I never say things like that, but this was just exceptionally bad. It was also lukewarm, and the portion was tiny for the price. We waited about an hour to order- this was before FP+ was introduced to lunch- and I was expecting quality food based on the reviews I'd read. I was very underwhelmed to say the least.

Hockey89

The Wave is our favorite breakfast on property, and I would agree with some others here that it's highly underrated.

I thought BOG was extremely overrated. I am not a picky eater or one to complain about food normally, but I thought my sandwich tasted like a microwave meal. I never say things like that, but this was just exceptionally bad. It was also lukewarm, and the portion was tiny for the price. We waited about an hour to order- this was before FP+ was introduced to lunch- and I was expecting quality food based on the reviews I'd read. I was very underwhelmed to say the least.
I tried it for the experience and thought it was cool, but gourmet greatness it is not. My breakfast was cold, so I wont be going back but had fun.... If that was my dinner on the other hand, I would have been BS

I tried it for the experience and thought it was cool, but gourmet greatness it is not. My breakfast was cold, so I wont be going back but had fun.... If that was my dinner on the other hand, I would have been BS

I'm usually willing to cut a restaurant some slack if there's a good experience to be had there. Sci-Fi, for example, is my favorite place to go for lunch/dinner because of the unique experience even though I'm not a huge fan of the food. However, at BOG we sat in a room that had almost no theming, so all the "amazing, immersive theming" I'd heard about was another thing missing from the meal. Maybe that's why I'm so bitter about it. :hilarious: I've thought about giving it another try at some point, but I have too many other places to try before that happens.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom