articos

I still think that the structure to the left is something else entirely. When I go back and look at some of the photos of the expansion model, they have always been careful to not show anyone what is to the left of the floating mountain arch. Also, back during some conversation in the construction progress thread for Avatar, the following dialogue occurred.

That is why I still believe that the huge portion that we can with the large, curved sections of steel coming off the right is actually the first floating mountain from the model that has the water cascading off of it. What I am really curious about is how this is being built. The "arch" in the floating mountains is very wide with no supporting structures in the middle. What I am curious about is whether there will be temporary structures built to help with the construction until the entire arch is built and connected. Then, all temporary structures will be removed when the arch is complete and stable. IMHO, one of the mountains should act as a keystone and help hold the entire arch together.

I add the photos again as a frame of reference for what I am talking about.

View attachment 99497

And here is the steel image.

View attachment 99498
Again, I think that this is the left floating mountain in the above photo of the model.
I'll just say there's no 200 ft tall building. The rockwork with waterfalls behind the floating mountains in the distance is hiding the show building. The views in the concept art would be walking into the land.

Last edited:

twebber55

AVATAR-Land-July-2015-Construction-Update-2.jpg

have no idea, maybe something to do with the boat ride area

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I disagree, that would mean the building on the right (the "human" building) would be next to the pathway like the first plans laid out imho.
but in this picture, its far away.
This looks more like its the normal entrance from discovery island with the bridges there.

This also could have been an earlier piece of concept art that doesn't match up with the newer art.

BrianLo

This also could have been an earlier piece of concept art that doesn't match up with the newer art.

Not totally sure, it was released within day of this one that shows the arch so commonly circulated.

I think the one I posted that I was questioning might actually be taken from under the arch, and this second one has the reverse view point with the range just behind us looking back outwards towards the arch/discovery island.

Cesar R M

Not totally sure, it was released within day of this one that shows the arch so commonly circulated.

I think the one I posted that I was questioning might actually be taken from under the arch, and this second one has the reverse view point with the range just behind us looking back outwards towards the arch/discovery island.
this image seems to be in the opposite side of the other pictures posted around.
Right = banshee ride?

BrianLo

this image seems to be in the opposite side of the other pictures posted around.
Right = banshee ride?

Yes precisely. Although I think this one actually looks more towards the North than East, if you zoom in you can catch hints of the human elements that will occupy the Northern plot. I'm hopeful we'll see the model at D23 or something. It would be nice to get a more thorough look at that.

Also one thing we haven't frequently talked about, but seeing a brief view of the plans from the D23 Japan video, there is a pretty large 'river' that should run right through the land.

articos

Correct, this is the reverse of the other piece of art, looking back towards the land entrance.

flyerjab

I think we'll see the right side of the floating mountain arch start to go up next and connection and middle top happening after.

I agree with what you are saying regarding how this structure is going to be built. The only problem is we might not really see the start of the right side of the arch as easily as this other side was.

I really wish I knew someone with a pilot liscence in Orlando. That would make this so much easier.

doctornick

It's been linked in other threads on the main board, but this is the appropiate place. The LA times had an article about Pandora in DAK. Some key information:

The alien land's marquee attraction will be an E-Ticket banshee flight simulator similar to Soarin' at Epcot and Soarin' Over California at Disney California Adventure. Disney Imagineer Joe Rohde, who is spearheading the project, says the new ride system will be "considerably more thrilling" than the original Soarin'.

A D-Ticket indoor boat ride similar to Pirates of the Caribbean will take riders on a river journey through the illuminated forest of Pandora.

By day, the futuristic Avatar Land will be populated by lush jungle foliage, floating mountains and the ruins of a military base camp sprinkled with audio-animatronics, 3-D projections and hologram effects. An area themed as the Pandora landing station mess hall could serve as a quick-service restaurant.

BrianLo

Some key information: A D-Ticket indoor boat ride similar to Pirates of the Caribbean will take riders on a river journey through the illuminated forest of Pandora.

Pretty interesting! Now the question is - did the author read this board and ask some of our burning questions, or does Joe Rohde read the board and wanted to stamp out a few misconceptions? I know Joe Rohde does for a fact, he's linked WDWMagic content on his twitter quite recently.

The dropping of "D-ticket" suggests our suspicions were correct, the boat ride did get significantly plussed before the plans were finalized.

doctornick

The dropping of "D-ticket" suggests our suspicions were correct, the boat ride did get significantly plussed before the plans were finalized.
Well, at a minimum, it confirms the plans for the boat ride are still a go. Not that there was much doubt at this point, but some of the insiders here did say they hadn't heard much about the boat ride.

Specifically referring to it as a D-ticket suggests to me that Disney is aware of the criticism out there (regarding the FLE, the concept of Avatar, etc.) and is making sure that the boat ride is of good quality. I'm feeling more confident that we get get two excellent rides out of this expansion plus a good visual land.

MerlinTheGoat

That's the hope, but I wouldn't necessarily read into it. It may simply be that the article writer looked at the concept art and made a judgement call and gave it a ranking based on appearance. There may not have been any confirmation besides the writer's personal opinion. They may not even know about the leaked blueprints that refer to the boat as a "C" (if those are still accurate).

There's also the possibility that they were fed that information by Disney PR. I'll remind people Disney has lied about a ride's ticket lettering before, so I wouldn't put it past them here (they may even call it an E by the time it opens even if it isn't). Mine Train was being hyped as an E ticket (a lie that Lou Mongello helped spread), in spite of being considered (from Lee's comments) internally by Disney as a "nice D". Mermaid was also hyped as a "E ticket lite" by Disney's PR to the public, when it's actually more of a C ticket at best (and not even a very good one at that).

I'd love for the boat ride to have been legitimately upgraded, but hopefully this is not simply another stunt by Disney to try to trick people into thinking it's better than it really is. We really shouldn't trust them to tell the truth though, it's better to trust what @articos has to say on the matter. He's proven himself and really has no reason to lie to us (whereas Disney PR has plenty of reasons).

I'll also mention the fact that Pirates (even Magic Kingdom's lesser version) was, is and always will be an "E ticket". Not a D ticket. That's not to say there can't be good D tickets, but I would prefer a legit E ticket for Avatar's boat ride. Hopefully it is something like Pirates or better. I just think it's best to settle down and don't get too excited based on an article like this, you're going to get infinitely more accurate and realistic information of what to expect from the likes of articos, marni1971, WDW1974, Lee, drew81 etc etc.

Last edited:

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
So did I, I just didn't tell anyone, but you can take my word for it. ;)

Whatevs.....

I predict in 8 years there will be a mine train ride dedicated to Snow White in the New Fantasyland area. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if after decades and decades of the same restaurant lineup in MK a nice, new sit down restaurant that was based on the Beast's castle opened in the aforementioned new Fantasyland area. Finally, I think that James Cameron will make an outer space movie called Avarice and a land based on that will be put in Animal Kingdom, say 10 or 11 years from now. Also, either Dora the Explorer or Jack Sparrow will be added to MGM.

Finally, in 2019 there will be a SW expansion in MGM (will be re-branded Movie Magic Kingdom) and it will consist of an X-Wing spinner and two restaurants - Jabba's Hamburger Hutt and Cinnabon's Organa Rolls.

In 2014, Germany and Argentina will meet in the WC finals. Germany 1 - Argentina 0 in quadruple OT. Some weirdo with a rat tail for Argentina will miss an easy chance.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom