New look Marie now appearing at MK

brb1006

Looks a bit more Cat like. Personally Im up for anything new with Disney.
Her previous look resembles a bit of Duchess. Which makes sense since her Duchess is Marie's mother and is always calling her when she get's picked on by her brothers. But new look feels more expressive and genuine.

brb1006

I remember how hard they pushed her in merch back in the 90s. Elevated to Pooh/Mickey Crew level like she was Stitch.
I still own a cup I've gotten from a Disney Store from a mall years ago. I remember seeing Marie being featured along with Pinocchio,Jiminy Cricket, and Sorcerer Mickey. The bottom part was a snowglobe with a tiny Sorcerer Mickey figure which you can shake.

I remember Disney's fondness with Marie started sometime in 1997 or 1999. Because I remember seeing an old Marie plush that was sold during the early years of Animal Kingdom which was made in 1997. I also own a book made sometime in the late 90's called "Disney Storybook Collection" and the illustrations of Marie always looked more interesting compared to the other cats. Heck, she even was going to be the main character for a sequel to the Aristocats called "Aristocats II" where she was going to be voiced by Tara Strong but later got cancelled.

Second,Have you ever seen Robin William's "Flubber" movie? Because a few times the yellow robot would show various movie clips and Disney clips reacting to various situations. At one point, there's a clip of The Aristocats that showed Marie reacting to something (I haven't seen the film in years, but I remember this was show before the yellow floating robot get's destroyed).

Here's a screenshot of that scene
Marie_in_Flubber.png

Last edited:

brb1006

Kind of odd that Berlioz and Tolouse didn't get the same marketing push. I guess since they were boys they weren't considered "cute" enough.
I find that odd, since Toulouse played a minor role in the original film where he knows Edgar's up to no good but the Berlioz,Marie, and Duchess don't believe him until they got shoved into an bag and Edgar tries to burn them alive. When they get shoved inside it, Toulouse tells them that he was right. But seeing any Marie merchandise featuring her two brothers is pretty rare.

I'm surprised it took Disney this long to have those two show up in any Disney Theme Park (Toulouse and Berlioz showed up in public for a Valentine's Day event at Disneyland Paris in 2013) while Marie's been doing meet and greets since 2007 or 2006. I remember seeing an old Tokyo Disneyland video of a Valentine's Day show which starred Minnie,Bianca,Daisy,Clarice, and Marie who also showed up for the parade. It appears that Marie was going to be one of those characters who would only show up during holiday events similar to Scrooge who only comes out during the Christmas and Winter seasons at Walt Disney World. Marie later became a common character when the Tokyo Disneyland Electrical Parade Dreamlights added new floats for Monsters Inc and Finding Nemo in 2009. The It's A Small World finale replaced Roger Rabbit with Marie and Pluto, and Marie also showed up for the Halloween parades since 2009.

I heard Toulouse and Berlioz we're spotted during Tokyo Disneyland's new parade "Happiness Is Here" and can be all three of the kittens can be found at both parks.

Last edited:

brb1006

I wish Berlioz got more attention. He's my favorite character in the movie.
I agree, I remember watching the film before I went to WDW for my Senior Trip. I remember growing very fond of Berlioz since he's possibly the youngest of the group and has a sibling rivalry with his sister. Who both can be seen messing around with each other throughout the film. Which I found pretty cute and a little funny for some reason.

BrerJon

Marie is huge in Japan, bigger than any Pixar property, and I think she's popular in France too. I suspect making the character a priority has more to do with appealing to international guests than any great love for the film.

brb1006

Marie is huge in Japan, bigger than any Pixar property, and I think she's popular in France too. I suspect making the character a priority has more to do with appealing to international guests than any great love for the film.
She was even featured in the Hong Kong Disneyland version of "It's A Small World". Recently a manga was released a months ago that stared Marie called "Miriya & Marie" but currently hasn't gotten an English release. It's currently being sold in Japan and Brazil. I would love to read it someday though.

Last edited:

brb1006

I don't think I've ever seen Marie at MK...I can't even believe the old version. Looks like a Times Square rip off!
According to a CM I talked to in Town Square two months ago, she usually comes out at 10:30am during days when it isn't rainy or wet outside.

brb1006

Apologize for bumping the thread, but Marie has recently been given whiskers at Disneyland Paris sometime last month. Since this design of Marie first appeared at Disneyland Paris during Valentine's Day 2013 and later Tokyo Disney Resort during it's 30th Anniversary. I'm going to bet this look of Marie is going to show up at Tokyo Disney Resort in the future or that is already there as of this post.

This video shot at Disneyland Paris last month during Halloween shows Marie with whiskers. It's most notable around the 1:28 - 1:33 mark of the video. I recommend pausing the video to notice it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom