Dining Plan Help - Really Need Advice :)

waterpark13

Original Poster
Hello Disney Experts,

My six year old son and I will be staying at the Wilderness Lodge September 1 to the 7th 2015 and we are on the the quick and table service dining plan and have the refillable mug. We were at the Jersey Shore for 4th of July and the amount of money I wasted on meals my son did not eat (especially breakfast) drove me batty. Can we order one meal at breakfast and lunch and share? I am really not sure how to use the dining plan in the best econiomic way - and your help is greatly appreciated. Here are our dining reservations. Did I go over the plan - trying to avoid paying out of pocket. Suggestions and input greatly appreciated.

Do we need all these character breakfasts?

Hoe much spending money should I bring? I am thinking $170.00 for meal tips for the 7 days we are there.

September 1st we are staying at Wildreness resort so no parks our relaxing day we will be up at 4 am to catch a 6am flight out of NYC - we arrive at 10:30 am at resort I think.
quick service at resort for lunch
Whispering Canyon Cafe - Dinner

Sep 2nd
Cinderella's table - breakfast (character)
California Grill - dinner

Sept 3rd
Tusker house - breakfast (character)
Boma - dinner

Sept 4th
Hollywood and Vine breakfast (character)
Be Our Guest - dinner

Sep 5th
water park day - if weather is good
Chef Mickeys - dinner (character)

Sep 6th
Beaches and Cream - lunch
Flying Fish - Dinner

Sep 7th
Ohana - breakfast (may cancel not sure)
we leave resort at 4 pm for our flight at 6 or 7 pm cant remeber lol

Thank you all.

stevehousse

I would get rid of some of those! Especially since a few are 2 credits! If your kid is a picky eater, I would suggest buffets since there is bound to be something he likes!

Get rid of Royal Table (it's all princesses unless that's what your son wants), and it's 2 credits. We went this past May, we had breakfast there for Mother's Day, my wife and daughter and sister loved it, but my boys (4 and 6) did not! The only princess they would agree to take a photo with is Ariel because they know she is my wife's favorite princess and Disney movie!

I would also suggest getting rid of California Grill! If your kid finds something on the menu he likes, keep it. But if there is nothing to be found get rid of it as it too is a 2 credit meal!

Another thing to consider is maybe getting rid of Hollywood and vine breakfast unless your son loves Disney jr?

Take into consideration that as of right now with your length of stay, that you have 6 table service credits available to you. To cover all your plans, you would need 13credits!!! So you would be paying out of pocket for More than half of your dining options!!! Your best bet is to do one sit down a day, and if you are doing the quick service at the resort the first day, you can have an extra credit for a 2 credit meal, or you can do 2 meals if you wanted too!

The dining plan can be very confusing if you don't do the research! Let us know if you need any help!

Tuvalu

Premium Member
If you only have the regular Disney Dining plan (one quick serve and one table service per day) you have just 6 table service credits each to use. For the buffet meals, you must use both your adult credit and your child's credit. At other table service locations you *may* be allowed to share an adult entree (one credit).

So right now, your dining has you using many more table service credits than you have!!
Whispering Canyon 1 credit each
Cinderella Royal Table 2 credits each
California Grill 2 credits each
Tusker House 1 credit each
Boma 1 credit each
Hollywood and Vine 1 credit each
Be Our Guest 1 credit each
Chef Mickey's 1 credit each
Beaches and Cream 1 credit each
Flying Fish 2 credits each
'Ohana 1 credit each

Thus, while you each have 6 credits (12 total) you have 14 credits (28 total) of meals you have booked. You will have to pay a lot of those meals out of pocket!

waterpark13

Original Poster
Thank you STevehouse this is very confusing following the dining plan. I considerred Califonia Grill because we have 9:20 reservation and great way to see fireworks - gees this is tricky.

stevehousse

If you only have the regular Disney Dining plan (one quick serve and one table service per day) you have just 6 table service credits each to use. For the buffet meals, you must use both your adult credit and your child's credit. At other table service locations you *may* be allowed to share an adult entree (one credit).

So right now, your dining has you using many more table service credits than you have!!
Whispering Canyon 1 credit each
Cinderella Royal Table 2 credits each
California Grill 2 credits each
Tusker House 1 credit each
Boma 1 credit each
Hollywood and Vine 1 credit each
Be Our Guest 1 credit each
Chef Mickey's 1 credit each
Beaches and Cream 1 credit each
Flying Fish 2 credits each
'Ohana 1 credit each

Thus, while you each have 6 credits (12 total) you have 14 credits (28 total) of meals you have booked. You will have to pay a lot of those meals out of pocket!
Didn't know Flying Fish was 2 credits! Thanks for the correction!

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Thank you Tuvalo which ones you think I should keep?
For your son I would keep Tusker House, Chef Mickey's, Be Our Guest and Hollywood and Vine IF he likes Disney Jr. (If not cancel).

I would not take a 6 year old to eat at a signature restaurant (Cali Grill or Flying Fish) especially at that late hour. You can get almost the same fireworks view at Cali Grill (which is overrated in my opinion anyway) from going outside the Contemporary's 4th floor concourse and watching them from the viewing area there.

Beaches and Cream is fun and great desserts!

waterpark13

Original Poster
Sure Stevehouse:
September 1st we arrive hang out at resort
September 2nd Magic Kingdom
Sept 3 Animal Kingdom
Sept 4th Hollywood studios
Sept 5th water park (weather permitting)
sept 6th not sure epcot but I have a feeling my son may get bored so not the whole day
Sept 7th downtown disney (we go home on 6pm flight)

stevehousse

Sure Stevehouse:
September 1st we arrive hang out at resort -whispering canyon cafe
September 2nd Magic Kingdom - Ohana breakfast or dinner if you can get in!
Sept 3 Animal Kingdom - Tusker House
Sept 4th Hollywood studios - beaches and cream for lunch. Take the boat from the park to the resort and back!
Sept 5th water park (weather permitting) -chef mickeys dinner
sept 6th not sure epcot but I have a feeling my son may get bored so not the whole day - my boys (4and 6) LOVE Epcot! Try and get a reservation at garden grill!
Sept 7th downtown disney (we go home on 6pm flight) - earl of sandwich at DTD lunch

waterpark13

Original Poster
Thanks Stevehouse I have a reservation on the 7th for Ohana breakfast
In regards to the quick service meals how dioes that work with credits I am so lost with this.

stevehousse

You and your son each have 6 table service credits to use. You essentially have 12 credits total for quick service, that can be used on either adult or kids meals.

For our family, we like to do at least one sit down meal a day. And then we do one quick service. If we have a breakfast table meal, we will use the quick arrived for dinner. If we have a dinner table meal, we will have a late quick service breakfast or an early lunch using quick service. Each quick service meal comes with an entree and a. Side usually, a drink, and a dessert!

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Thank you STevehouse this is very confusing following the dining plan. I considerred Califonia Grill because we have 9:20 reservation and great way to see fireworks - gees this is tricky.
It's actually a terrible way to see the fireworks. The angle is all wrong.

ETA: It's a nice experience, but I wouldn't recommend it as your one-and-only Wishes viewing.

Last edited:

stevehousse

Watching the fireworks from the contemporary resort is just fine! You can view them also on the 4th floor corridor outside! We always do this after a dinner at chef mickeys!

HRHPrincessAriel

Hello Disney Experts,

My six year old son and I will be staying at the Wilderness Lodge September 1 to the 7th 2015 and we are on the the quick and table service dining plan and have the refillable mug. We were at the Jersey Shore for 4th of July and the amount of money I wasted on meals my son did not eat (especially breakfast) drove me batty. Can we order one meal at breakfast and lunch and share? I am really not sure how to use the dining plan in the best econiomic way - and your help is greatly appreciated. Here are our dining reservations. Did I go over the plan - trying to avoid paying out of pocket. Suggestions and input greatly appreciated.

Do we need all these character breakfasts?

Hoe much spending money should I bring? I am thinking $170.00 for meal tips for the 7 days we are there.

September 1st we are staying at Wildreness resort so no parks our relaxing day we will be up at 4 am to catch a 6am flight out of NYC - we arrive at 10:30 am at resort I think.
quick service at resort for lunch
Whispering Canyon Cafe - Dinner

Sep 2nd
Cinderella's table - breakfast (character)
California Grill - dinner

Sept 3rd
Tusker house - breakfast (character)
Boma - dinner

Sept 4th
Hollywood and Vine breakfast (character)
Be Our Guest - dinner

Sep 5th
water park day - if weather is good
Chef Mickeys - dinner (character)

Sep 6th
Beaches and Cream - lunch
Flying Fish - Dinner

Sep 7th
Ohana - breakfast (may cancel not sure)
we leave resort at 4 pm for our flight at 6 or 7 pm cant remeber lol

Thank you all.
Honestly, if he doesn't eat a lot I would not pay for the plan. You will probably end up spending more $ than if you just pay as you go. We would have spent almost $200 extra if we'd don't the plan. I would just put money aside monthly/weekly till you trip. We bought gift cards(took advantage of fuel points by buying) and didn't pay anything extra out of pocket. This included snacks, drinks, booze, and souvenirs.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Honestly, if he doesn't eat a lot I would not pay for the plan. You will probably end up spending more $ than if you just pay as you go. We would have spent almost $200 extra if we'd don't the plan. I would just put money aside monthly/weekly till you trip. We bought gift cards(took advantage of fuel points by buying) and didn't pay anything extra out of pocket. This included snacks, drinks, booze, and souvenirs.
Looks like the OP is planning lots of buffets. She's going to overpay for someone who doesn't eat a lot regardless. If it was DDP versus menu ordering, I agree with you 100%. But DDP might still make sense over paying cash for all-you-care-to-enjoy.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom