Expedition Everest effects status watch

Ewizaboof

Someone posted a video of a bunch of animatronics from Disney in another topic, the yeti from EE was one of them. I wanted to extract the footage for a better and more individual look at this particular figure. It's useful because it has a clearer view than most ridethrough videos or the Discovery Channel documentary. Though I would assume this was taken under work lighting and doesn't convey the true atmospheric figure of the ride. It's a nice look at the figure's range of movement however-
lyna6.gif

The original video can be found here-

I surmise that the person who posted the video (John Cutry) was at least partially (if not entirely) responsible for the animation of the yeti as well as the other AA, CGI and sketched figures from that video. So all credit goes entirely to him.

So basically John Cutry did every animatronic that leaves a lasting impression on you in WDW.
All of his animatronics movements are so fluid and lifelike, even Hopper, who moves INCREDIBLY despite his age.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I don't think it's a question of technology, but of design approach.
Somewhere there's a clip of Bob Gurr fielding a question about the Yeti and what he thought about it and his reply was that the Kong he built for Universal 20 years earlier weighed a fraction of what the yeti would end up weighing, and that he didn't understand why the Yeti team was determined to go with such a heavy, powerful figure when something just as big but far lighter could have worked.
He covers the topic again in this podcast. Question comes at 16:45. Bob Gurr has a really interesting response. And considering what he did with Kong, he knows what he's talking about.

https://player.fm/series/the-season.../tspp-207-the-bob-gurr-interview-part-5-81212

Last edited:

wjb1984

First post.

I am very suprised by this thread.

I rode EE in both December 2014 and May 2015, both times multiple times in a row, including some in the single rider line after my family got worn out.

I am not sure what all the big fuss about the Yeti not working is? This is one of the best rides at WDW.

The downward drop portion through the dark interior of the mountain is significantly better than traditional downward drops on "boomerang" coasters that follow the same track forwards and backwards, and the fast lift hill combined with the mountain surrounding the train during most of the ride allows people that would normally be terrified of a roller coast that reaches such heights to ride this ride.

This is from my own experience, but this ride is awesome even if the Yeti does not function 100% as designed.

MonorailLover

First post.

I am not sure what all the big fuss about the Yeti not working is?

This is from my own experience, but this ride is awesome even if the Yeti does not function 100% as designed.

The reason we fuss, is because the Yeti is one of... Maybe the best, most amazing AA that exists. When it worked, it was the most amazing thing in WDW I had seen.

Basically if you haven't personally experienced it (YouTube doesn't count!), you won't fully grasp the feat it was to have it work, it's beauty and the art that made such a beautiful piece.

wjb1984

The reason we fuss, is because the Yeti is one of... Maybe the best, most amazing AA that exists. When it worked, it was the most amazing thing in WDW I had seen.

Basically if you haven't personally experienced it (YouTube doesn't count!), you won't fully grasp the feat it was to have it work, it's beauty and the art that made such a beautiful piece.

Even without it, this is one of the best rides at WDW.

G00fyDad

First post.

I rode EE in both December 2014 and May 2015, both times multiple times in a row, including some in the single rider line after my family got worn out.

I am not sure what all the big fuss about the Yeti not working is? This is one of the best rides at WDW.

The downward drop portion through the dark interior of the mountain is significantly better than traditional downward drops on "boomerang" coasters that follow the same track forwards and backwards, and the fast lift hill combined with the mountain surrounding the train during most of the ride allows people that would normally be terrified of a roller coast that reaches such heights to ride this ride.

And that is why Disney will never fix the Yeti. :banghead: Because people are "okay" with it broken. If you had seen the Yeti in its original mode you wouldn't be saying this.

BasiltheBatLord

i don't think people are complaining about this issue mainly due to the impressive technical aspects of the animatronic, (although that is certainly part of it) i think it's more so that the entire ride, from the very first scene of the queue hypes up the encounter with the yeti as the single most important crux of the attraction. particularly, the original marketing for the ride at launch was 100% yeti focused. (anybody remember that promo flash site where you played as the yeti in first-person roaming a Himalayan village at night?) i think that's what makes it so sad/ironic/outrageous/whatever that the figure is busted and shamed.

Last edited:

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Even without it, this is one of the best rides at WDW.

It is a nicely themed roller coaster. It is fun, but it isn't the reason I go to Disney. Nicely themed roller coasters exist elsewhere. A big ole Yeti taking a swipe at me in a darkened mountain cave is the type of thing I go to Disney for. It was wonderfully impressive animatronic and a great climax to a ride.

Cesar R M

It is a nicely themed roller coaster. It is fun, but it isn't the reason I go to Disney. Nicely themed roller coasters exist elsewhere. A big ole Yeti taking a swipe at me in a darkened mountain cave is the type of thing I go to Disney for. It was wonderfully impressive animatronic and a great climax to a ride.
Wow george, I did not know you had a fetish of big hairy individuals taking a swipe at you ;) :hilarious:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom