NASCAR 2015

MinnieM123

Premium Member
My concern is the cars flying to the catch fence in terms of the fans. I am sure NASCAR doesn't want a 1955 Le Mans on their hands.

I've seen this happening during plate races multiple times in different NASCAR series at Daytona or Talladega since Carl Edwards flew to the catch fence at the 2009 Spring Talladega race.The only solution I could think of it move back the seating for the fans in terms of having less odds of getting hurt even with minor injuries.

What happened with Austin Dillon's car flying into the fence is something I've seen in CART and Indycar besides the 2000 Geoff Bodine Truck Series wreck at Daytona. That style of a crash into a catch fence or near the flag area for CART and Indycar was deadly for driver.

Austin Dillion is lucky that he is racing in 2015, not in 2000. Geoff Bodine back in 2000 was forced to be taken to the hospital and missed races due to the injuries he had besides a concussion. Geoff' had fractures to the right wrist, right cheekbone, vertebra in back, and right ankle.

I agree. Move back the seating for the fans. Although I certainly wasn't awake during the (long delayed) race the other night, I did see the news clip about the accident.

Reminded me of some thoughts I had, years ago, when I took a Ride-Along Experience (where a race car driver will drive you around the track for 3-4 laps, at an extremely high rate of speed, so that you can experience what the race car drivers do at races). It was at Daytona super speedway. As I recall, I think the driver hit speeds well over 160 mph on laps 2 and 3. (That's what I was told before I got in the passenger side of the car--that they could go up to 180 mph.) We went very high up on the banks, and it was thrilling and scary at the same time. However, I remember thinking that if I ever went to a race, I would never sit down front, in case a car flew over the edge. Even though racing has been going on now for many years, the race track owners and/or NASCAR need to do more to protect the fans. They need to fix this now.

MOXOMUMD

Original Poster
kyle-busch.jpeg

Quaker State 400, Kentucky

1. Kyle Busch
2. Joey Logano
3. Denny Hamlin

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Louden is under 1 1/2 hours from where I live. I would have loved to go see a race up there, but it always seems like it's the hottest day of the year when the race is up there (even the one in the fall, sometimes). It was humid today and I think our first 90 degree day this summer so far. No way I could sit out in the open in that kind of weather!

This season the races on tv have been spread out among 4 TV stations. There used to be just one or two, but this season has been very confusing with all the different channels competing for races. Trying to figure out what changed this season in the broadcasting end of things.

jw24

Another top ten for my 24 but I admit that I'm getting more nervous. He hasn't won a race yet and with only 7 races left before the Chase, I'm not so certain he'll end up with the same fate as Ryan Newman did last year. A win will put my mind and sanity at ease. I sure hope he can win at the Brickyard next week.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
@jw24 , that was a tough break for Jeff Gordon yesterday at the Brickyard. I had watched all the pre-race shows and was enjoying all the attention he received from some of racing's greats, as well as the fans there yesterday. Felt really bad for him and the entire # 24 crew, after the lap 50 restart incident.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Another "cheap" win for Logano.Don't see him as a championship threat.

I only saw the beginning of yesterday's race, so I basically missed everything. How did Joey get a "cheap" win?

On another subject, Buddy Baker, part of racing's history, passed away yesterday. At the time he was racing, I wasn't following NASCAR, but I think he had an interesting career, from what I have read. Link below from USA Today --

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...scars-gentle-giant-dies--74--cancer/31399215/

wdwfan4ver

I only saw the beginning of yesterday's race, so I basically missed everything. How did Joey get a "cheap" win?

On another subject, Buddy Baker, part of racing's history, passed away yesterday. At the time he was racing, I wasn't following NASCAR, but I think he had an interesting career, from what I have read. Link below from USA Today --

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...scars-gentle-giant-dies--74--cancer/31399215/
The final laps were exciting, but I do see how someone can see it as a cheap win.

Kevin Harvick ran out of Fuel on the last lap while in the lead and Joey passed Kevin as a result with Kevin Finishing 3rd with Kyle Busch just based Kevin shortly before the start and finish and finish line. Joey himself said he didn't have the fastest car, but Harvick did. Joey pitted 7 laps after Kevin did. What caused this was there was 3 different pit strategies for pitting for the final time. Kenseth and Harvick pitted on lap 51, some drivers including Dale Jr. pitted on lap 53, and some other drivers like Kyle Busch and Joey Logano pitted on lap 58 or lap 59.

What caused the strategies was Caution Flag came out on lap 51, but Kevin and Matt pitted. Dale Jr. and others topped off on that caution lap 53. Stewart's car stopped on the track and caused a yellow flag from lap 58 to 60. The drivers that pitted on the final caution of the race was able to go more full throttle and Joey forced Kevin to Speed up the pace.

Kevin ran out of gas on his 39th lap of fuel compare to Joey having less laps to go to finish the race.

Teams at Watkins Glen can go 30- 32 laps without Saving fuel. Kevin had caution laps to save fuel and slowed down the pace before Joey forced him to pick up the pace.

I remembered Buddy Baker from his television days as an announcer, but I didn't see a lot of Buddy as a driver. I read about him years ago. I did remember Buddy Baker doing a Daytona test for Rusty Wallace back in 2005 and did over 200 miles hour. I first became a NASCAR fan in 1993 and I saw a lot of Buddy doing NASCAR Races on the the old Nashville Network. He was one of many great NASCAR announcers on television back in the 1990's along with Eli Gold, Bob Jenkins, Ned Jarrett, Benny Parsons and Ken Squier.

I thought Buddy was a great announcer. I am not shocked about the comments about Buddy Baker as a person since based on how Buddy was on television announcing races.

The times I saw Buddy Baker race was mostly on a show Dale Earnhardt Jr. hosted called Back in the Day and a couple times when ESPN Classic used to show classic NASCAR Races. Back in the Day showed raced from the 1960's and 1970's that actually was a repackaged show of a show called car and Track.

My impression of Buddy Baker as a driver was one that would have won over 40 cup races if the equipment in his prime was as a durable as it way now. I saw Buddy had the best car for the Daytona 500 at least 2 times, but failed to win due to some type of equipment failure.

Last edited:

MinnieM123

Premium Member
The final laps were exciting, but I do see how someone can see it as a cheap win.

Kevin Harvick ran out of Fuel on the last lap while in the lead and Joey passed Kevin as a result with Kevin Finishing 3rd with Kyle Busch just based Kevin shortly before the start and finish and finish line. Joey himself said he didn't have the fastest car, but Harvick did. Joey pitted 7 laps after Kevin did. What caused this was there was 3 different pit strategies for pitting for the final time. Kenseth and Harvick pitted on lap 51, some drivers including Dale Jr. pitted on lap 53, and some other drivers like Kyle Busch and Joey Logano pitted on lap 58 or lap 59.

What caused the strategies was Caution Flag came out on lap 51, but Kevin and Matt pitted. Dale Jr. and others topped off on that caution lap 53. Stewart's car stopped on the track and caused a yellow flag from lap 58 to 60. The drivers that pitted on the final caution of the race was able to go more full throttle and Joey forced Kevin to Speed up the pace.

Kevin ran out of gas on his 39th lap of fuel compare to Joey having less laps to go to finish the race.

Teams at Watkins Glen can go 30- 32 laps without Saving fuel. Kevin had caution laps to save fuel and slowed down the pace before Joey forced him to pick up the pace.

I remembered Buddy Baker from his television days as an announcer, but I didn't see a lot of Buddy as a driver. I read about him years ago. I did remember Buddy Baker doing a Daytona test for Rusty Wallace back in 2005 and did over 200 miles hour. I first became a NASCAR fan in 1993 and I saw a lot of Buddy doing NASCAR Races on the the old Nashville Network. He was one of many great NASCAR announcers on television back in the 1990's along with Eli Gold, Bob Jenkins, Ned Jarrett, Benny Parsons and Ken Squier.

I thought Buddy was a great announcer. I am not shocked about the comments about Buddy Baker as a person since based on how Buddy was on television announcing races.

The times I saw Buddy Baker race was mostly on a show Dale Earnhardt Jr. hosted called Back in the Day and a couple times when ESPN Classic used to show classic NASCAR Races. Back in the Day showed raced from the 1960's and 1970's that actually was a repackaged show of a show called car and Track.

My impression of Buddy Baker as a driver was one that would have won over 40 cup races if the equipment in his prime was as a durable as it way now. I saw Buddy had the best car for the Daytona 500 at least 2 times, but failed to win due to some type of equipment failure.

Thank you for the detailed race information about Watkins Glen. Those types of road courses have an entirely different fuel strategy. I appreciate you explaining some of the nuances. I wished that Kevin Harvick (one of my favorites in NASCAR) would have won; but a win is a win, and Joey Logano finished first.

As for Buddy Baker, I wasn't sure if you knew much about him, but you definitely knew a lot more about him than I did! I was glad you were able to share some of your impressions, and thanks again..

wdwfan4ver

Thoughts are with Justin Wilson and his family right now. I don't have an update, but I saw the Indycar race on television live. Its been over a couple hours since what happened to Justin Wilson.

What I am taking about it there was a nasty looking crash with Sage Karam and debris flew off. One of the pieces of debris was a nosecone that flew to Justin Wilson's car and hit him in the head. Justin Wilson became unconscious and not responsive due to that debris.

The Cars Justin Wilson races has an open cockpit and any object can hit the driver as a result including stuff hitting racing helmets.

Flying objects hitting on the track has happened in Cart/Indy/and F1 before what happened to Justin Wilson. Those drivers before Justin Wilson suffered head injuries also, but survived. The lack of updates after a couple hours after a head injury is common.

Justin Wilson won in CART and Indy Car. He usually didn't race in great equipment, but took the equipment to victory lane.

Last edited:

jw24

I hope he's okay. I mean, Dan Wheldon's tragic death a few years back comes to mind though that particular incident was a lot worse than this one. I wouldn't be surprised if they modified the car again.

As my 24, loved seeing the Rainbow Warrior look again last night but still panicking over the fact he doesn't have a win!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom