Will record breaking Jurassic World push IOA expansion?

BrerJon

I saw the margarita guy too LOL! Frankly, I would've done the same thing! Do they have the land for a gyro ride? you'd have to have a LOT of spheres- with only 2 people being able to ride, the wait would be ridiculous.

The margarita guy was Jimmy Buffet himself!

I think you just do the spheres as an omnimover, nice and easy, on a track, with projections on the side giving the illusion of a fully rotating ball.

It's a shame they've already used up their capital for 'screen bus' rides with Spider-Man and Transformers, as I think that ride system would work brilliantly for Jurassic Park too. Load up the jeep and let's chase those loose dinos!

squidward

It's Jurassic Park, it shouldn't be that surprising. I could see if we were talking about other Universal films like Casper or Sixteen Candles. Jurassic Park? No, I'm not surprised.

I'm surprised. The last Jurassic Park opened to $46 million and finished with less than $200 million. Nobody in Hollywood expected much above $100 million opening. Monday it did $25 million. Biggest non-holiday Monday ever. Just saw it tonight. It was sold out. I thought it was great. Only the 1st one was better.

Californian Elitist

I'm surprised. The last Jurassic Park opened to $46 million and finished with less than $200 million. Nobody in Hollywood expected much above $100 million opening. Monday it did $25 million. Biggest non-holiday Monday ever. Just saw it tonight. It was sold out. I thought it was great. Only the 1st one was better.

The last film was released fourteen years ago and four years after the second one. If one honestly thought Jurassic World would gross the same amount as Jurassic Park 3, they were kidding themselves.

Jurassic World's numbers don't surprise me at all. It was HIGHLY anticipated and the franchise itself, mainly the first film, is insanely popular and iconic.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
As a note, as I was walking into my movie tonight, a group of teens were exiting Jurassic World, and they were saying (loudly) "That was awesome! Now I want to go to Island of Adventure!"

People watching a movie and it makes them want to visit a theme park without it being about the theme park.

That, my friends, is real synergy!

BrerJon

People watching a movie and it makes them want to visit a theme park without it being about the theme park.

That, my friends, is real synergy!

I think it's such a shame that Skull Island (the movie - Universal is bang on schedule with construction of the island) got bumped to 2017. Imagine if you had the movie opening a few weeks after the ride... that would have been a synergy unlike any the theme park biz had ever seen.

As it is we're going to have a major attraction open several months before the film it's based on. I can't remember that happening since 'It's Tough To Be A Bug'. It will still be interesting to see if it affects attendance if the movie is a hit.

mahnamahna101

It's just a shame they wasted the major expansion pad on Kong.
We're getting an E-ticket on par with JttCotE that has a preschool-friendly 34" height requirement (fulfilling the need for more family rides) and isn't replacing anything... and you're calling it a waste? ugh...

I still want an amber mine coaster...

The gyro sphere ride does seem like an almost no-brainer at this point though.

I'd love to see something like this:

Thunder Falls turned into a year-round JW-themed TS restaurant
JPRA gets some solid upgrades
Dino AAs throughout the island
Burger Digs expanded
Discovery Center upgraded with interactive exhibits and small dark ride themed to Mr. DNA
Petting zoo added to CJ/waterfront
M&Gs/walkarounds (Owen, Ian Malcolm, Dr. Grant, Dr. Hammond, Claire)
Pteranodon Flyers redone to be Canopy Flyers-esque, but with one show scene in the Aviary
Gyrosphere D-ticket in rest of Trikes plot/waterfront
Pizza Predatoria bulldozed for unique flat ride (maybe an observatory tower using screens like the ones in Hogwarts Express)

Now JP will have
  • 1 E-ticket (JPRA)
  • 2 D-tickets (Canopy, Gyrospheres)
  • 2 C-tickets (Mr. DNA, Camp Jurassic)
  • 4 B-tickets (exhibits, flat ride, Petting Zoo, Raptor Encounter)
  • 1 TS restaurant
  • 1 QS restaurant
You go from 4 attractions to 9 - all it takes is some reworking of the current JP footprint/areas. And some layering of attractions, similar to Disneyland.

JT3000

To add onto my previous post, technically speaking, IOA's JP can't even exist in the same universe as JW. It's actually meant to be a new island that didn't have the same problems as Isla Nublar. In essence, it is Jurassic World before Jurassic World would even have a chance to exist, with Hammond still at the helm (he's dead in JW.)

Could you theoretically try to blend certain locations? Perhaps, but I think you'd have some explaining to do. Using characters from both locations would be a non-starter though.

Disneyhead'71

I am pretty sure we will see both JW and JP in the same land. They will probably do something like moving from Frontierland to Liberty Square. JW on the Kong side. JP on the Potter side. Blended somewhere in the middle.

I can easily see a JW arch going up near Kong. Thunder Falls becoming a TS called Winston's Steakhouse and a Margaritaville Isla Aventura covered deck on the JPRA side. And a Gyroshpere ride coming to the remaining trike plot.

Check out the menu for Winston's Steakhouse. They have Chilean Sea Bass.

http://www.jurassicworld.com/plan-your-visit/eat/

ea11341194be0735d81a7d9e1ebaa67e3d2077ff.png

b41b0146f0856e865477f20cd4a98ea628ea82bb.jpg

Last edited:

Clubkid74

To add onto my previous post, technically speaking, IOA's JP can't even exist in the same universe as JW. It's actually meant to be a new island that didn't have the same problems as Isla Nublar. In essence, it is Jurassic World before Jurassic World would even have a chance to exist, with Hammond still at the helm (he's dead in JW.)

Could you theoretically try to blend certain locations? Perhaps, but I think you'd have some explaining to do. Using characters from both locations would be a non-starter though.
No it is the same island just 22 years late so it would work to an extent

JT3000

No it is the same island just 22 years late so it would work to an extent

I was referring to IOA's version of Jurassic Park, not Jurassic World. I know that's Isla Nublar. Either way, a working JP would make JW redundant.

Last edited:

AJO

I got this image from an employee at Universal Creative I stumbled upon online. It's captioned "It's getting there. . . #JW". Promising sign of things to come? :D

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    168.7 KB · Views: 153
Last edited:

Mukta

All I could think about during the gyrosphere scene was how horrible the capacity would be. Whatever rides they add need to have decent capacity.

JT3000

All I could think about during the gyrosphere scene was how horrible the capacity would be. Whatever rides they add need to have decent capacity.

Well there isn't really enough space in IOA for a practical gyrosphere ride anyway, and recreating anything remotely similar to the film's valley location is obviously impossible. It would have to be virtual, which would easily fix the capacity problem but also make the whole thing undesirable for a whole 'nother reason. While I'd love to see JP get some love, I don't think this is the direction to go in.

Last edited:

mahnamahna101

I think a gyrosphere ride could fit in where the Discovery Trail is. It doesn't have to have that large of a footprint.
I still maintain this would be ideal:
Rest of Toon Lagoon minus theater/carnival area - Jurassic World
JPRA's old spot - Jurassic Park expansion
Toon Lagoon theater/carnival area - Marvel, TMNT (technically Marvel) or Oz

You could even retcon and say JW/JP are separate regions of the world, with Skull Island in between them.

It allows for all of the JW/JP ideas to come into frutation, and means only 1 E-ticket remains kinda empty when it's cold out. IOA sadly doesn't have the space to fit every idea UC has :( without removing something else, usually...

Evolution

I still maintain this would be ideal:
Rest of Toon Lagoon minus theater/carnival area - Jurassic World
JPRA's old spot - Jurassic Park expansion
Toon Lagoon theater/carnival area - Marvel, TMNT (technically Marvel) or Oz

You could even retcon and say JW/JP are separate regions of the world, with Skull Island in between them.

It allows for all of the JW/JP ideas to come into frutation, and means only 1 E-ticket remains kinda empty when it's cold out. IOA sadly doesn't have the space to fit every idea UC has :( without removing something else, usually...

I think if they were gonna do that, they would've demolished the Toon Lagoon Theater for Skull Island. Having that land in the middle of JP/JW would kinda ruin the flow imo. I think they will probably just put the JW "expansion" inside of JP like how Knockturn Alley is in Diagon Alley.

elfshadowreaper

The concept behind IOA was really awesome, but long term it really constrains the possibility of expansions. Because you have to classify whatever expansion in specific islands. They've obviously broken that with things like Kong and what the "Lost Continent" has become, but at some point it will be broken to the point that you won't be able to call it "Islands" of Adventure anymore. I mean, you can, but it won't make as much sense. Because what began as Jurassic Park will end up being Jurassic Park and King Kong.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom