A Spirited Perfect Ten

WDW1974

Original Poster
Actually met Brad one day while working. Same day I seem to remember Eisner coming through IG. Brad was on a Segway and seemed .... well he didnt seem like any other cast members I had met.

Glad to see that he's done well for himself and his current undertaking.

I met Brad on multiple occasions. He seemed warm and genuine, but was so in over his head. A money guy that got moved over, inexplicably, to EPCOT VP when Karl Holz (much more inexplicably) was elevated to Sr. VP of Ops for WDW as a whole.

I thought he was caring and thoughtful but had no place running EPCOT (a view I may have shared with Micheal Eisner). I'm quite thankful he was nudged out of the company when he was as he had some radical and awful ideas for the park. He wanted to close the Seas for instance, WDI caught on and threw out the Nemo overlay as a way to keep it open. That's why I won't hate it like some fanbois. I can't imagine EPCOT without that pavilion and the foundation is there to do bigger and better things down the road.

Infringing on copyrighted material - especially works created by a lawyer - will simply not end well for Mister "Wanted Some Attention."

Unfortunately we have an entire generation that feels that stealing other people's work is completely acceptable.

No. And that is why I give Tom credit for protecting his work. I see loads of people in the Disney Twitverse who put photos on their feeds from sources as varied as other bloggers to 1964-company publications and never credit them. Not supposed to work that way, kids.

As to this Donnelly (not sure I have that spelling right) character, I had never heard of him or his blog (not even a Twit mention) before he borrowed our stuff from my thread and Tom's pics and did some weaving.

Cesar R M

B.D. Wong was in the original movie.
Pratt is a mega movie star now.
D'Onofrio is a good actor and was recently in The Judge.

Television is not a lesser form of acting... McCaughahey was just on TV.
yes, but as far I know BDWong and D'Onofrio most well known roles were of Law and Order.. and Pratt was very well received in Parks and Recreation, hence my comment.

Cesar R M

Also, his reportedly reliable source "Unlce Walt" was never cited on the site outside of that article.
I wonder if that person is only doing it for attention.

I've known several really mentally unstable individuals, who loved to steal artwork, ideas..etc.. from well known artists.. just to try to pass these works as their own for leeching attention.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Is that like what happened to former EPCOT VP Sam Lau? So we are getting another new EPCOT VP? They sure rotate through that job a lot.

Since 1995 EPCOT has had Greg Emmer, George Kalogridis, Karl Holz, Brad Rex, Jim MacPhee, Danny Cockerell, Erin Youngs, Sam Lau ... and I believe I missed one that was there for like two months a few years ago in between as VP. Nine leaders in two decades doesn't speak well. And only Georgie K was there for a fairly decent stint (1995-2000).

And while I have heard rumors Lau is being replaced, has this in fact happened yet? Or are they waiting for him to get a position outside of Disney before naming a replacement?

Cesar R M

Spirited Quickees (because they truly are the best kind):

Just remember July 15-16 for more Shanghai Disney info ... and blame the Commies if you don't hear anything.

I admit that it's really good to see a slimebag like Arnie fall. Hopefully, this film's under performance will let the Terminator series end ... at least for 3-4 years until it's time to reboot it.

OK, so MK reached a Phase B closing on the 4th? As near as I can tell, all that did was prevent people from buying tickets (one day tickets) at 6 p.m. and forced people with them, who may have left the park for a bit, to either wait 1:45 to reenter or get a free hop to another park. Yeah, that probably affected 149 people.

Are we all supposed to pretend we care about soccer just because our women won the World Cup? 'Cause I still don't.

Caught Humans for the first time this weekend, and I liked it. But I didn't love it. It didn't grab me the way Mr. Robot did.

Is this the thread that has been trolled about Small World ( I dunno, I just was 'warned' by a minion)?

How many Lifestylers are going to Comic Con? Just Mrs. Ricky's MealTicket?

OK, today was a record day for me. I saw at least 10 gators in a two-mile stretch of canal that I drive by between my house and the local Dunkin Donuts. Two were feasting on an unlucky bird of some kind (likely a duck). I'm sure climate change and the fact that it has barely rained in a month during the wettest time of the year in paradise has nothing to do with them swimming further out from the real swamps. (Yes, I did think that there are a few people here I wouldn't mind throwing in the water with them and seeing if they could swim out!)

I may well be a Faux Top One Percenter, but in the last week I've dined at McDonald's, Arby's and Denny's and I'm not at all ashamed of that. I also did my twice weekly Chipotle where all the hipsters and 19-year-olds on 'roids dine.

On your gator part of your reply....
You mean something like this?

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/07/04/us/texas-alligator-attack/index.html

Absimilliard

I met Brad on multiple occasions. He seemed warm and genuine, but was so in over his head. A money guy that got moved over, inexplicably, to EPCOT VP when Karl Holz (much more inexplicably) was elevated to Sr. VP of Ops for WDW as a whole.

I thought he was caring and thoughtful but had no place running EPCOT (a view I may have shared with Micheal Eisner). I'm quite thankful he was nudged out of the company when he was as he had some radical and awful ideas for the park. He wanted to close the Seas for instance, WDI caught on and threw out the Nemo overlay as a way to keep it open. That's why I won't hate it like some fanbois. I can't imagine EPCOT without that pavilion and the foundation is there to do bigger and better things down the road.

No. And that is why I give Tom credit for protecting his work. I see loads of people in the Disney Twitverse who put photos on their feeds from sources as varied as other bloggers to 1964-company publications and never credit them. Not supposed to work that way, kids.

As to this Donnelly (not sure I have that spelling right) character, I had never heard of him or his blog (not even a Twit mention) before he borrowed our stuff from my thread and Tom's pics and did some weaving.

I met Brad Rex a few times when I worked at Epcot in 2002-2003. I once put him on the spot by bluntly asking: why did Horizons close? His answer was pure "well, we look at our attractions and some have to go..." corporate tag line.

I also met Jay Rasulo when he was running Disneyland Paris. Me and a friend got to go with him over what Rock n Roller Coaster at the soon to be opening Walt Disney Studios would be and he talked about the upcoming Moteurs Action! stunt show as well.. As wretched as that park was then, it saved Disneyland Paris from one thing: The Magic Carpets ruining the Adventureland bazaar! The original plan was to drop the Carpets in DLP around 2001-2002, but when they realised how paper thin the attraction roster for the Studios were, they moved them there.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Uh, No. There's another thread (The BOD one I think) where even a Moderator was trolled during a iasw convo.

Good.I've given up on that thread.

I'll just say that love it or hate it (or in between), any Disney fan who doesn't understand the artistic and bigger picture significance of Small World is truly lacking in the cred dept.

Oh, and I'll admit it, I love it ... just once a trip!

WDW1974

Original Poster
Excellent point. I also take issue with the expense of this marketing strategy.

No one ever asks how much are they spending. Clearly, it's millions ... clearly, it's tens of millions (they have events with these people, smaller groups, on an almost weekly basis at DLR and WDW), but how much?

And what results have they gotten? How do you 'invest' say $12,000 in a blogger over a year that has 171 followers? How does that equate to any value for the company at all?

WDW1974

Original Poster
One other note on Brad Rex. I can't recall right now, but he took over on either 9/11/01 or the next day, so he really couldn't have started at a worse time.

OK, another note ... when he left Disney he went to work for Hilton in their timeshare division based in O-Town, but I had lost track of what he was doing until I saw that story. I really think it speaks for itself.

ThemeParkJunkee

No one ever asks how much are they spending. Clearly, it's millions ... clearly, it's tens of millions (they have events with these people, smaller groups, on an almost weekly basis at DLR and WDW), but how much?

And what results have they gotten? How do you 'invest' say $12,000 in a blogger over a year that has 171 followers? How does that equate to any value for the company at all?
Agreed...this is one of the stocks I need to "rebalance" in my portfolio. I have already re-allocated the other two but am reluctant with DIS. However, the Shanghai situation, the revelations on this board etc. make me watch this investment like a hawk. I love DIS because it allows me to own part of something meaningful to me. I used to own GE then they sold Universal to Comcast...so now I own Comcast (which is still correctly balanced for my goals).

I very much appreciate your Spirited Threads because of you and your friends who post regularly. I learn enough inside information to manage my investments and feed my theme park addiction.

I also do not chastise you for wearing "jorts". They are a very practical item of male clothing.

kpilcher

kpilcher

Always cite your sources. It's usually quite simple and fast. And invokes your credibility

WDW1974

Original Poster
One Additional Spirited Late Night Quickee:

A west-coast friend was just in touch and warned me about a way Disney could screw over the fans at D23 and still ''announce something brand new for DLR with bothe Star Wars and Marvel.''

How, you ask?

Simple.

David Koenig of Mouseplanet broke news a while back that Innoventions, which had been rumored to be getting a 60th Anniversary historical type exhibit, would be changing into a de facto Comic Book Land. Star Wars on one level. Marvel on the other.

Now, Disney hasn't said a peep about the space. And Anaheim folks will only say that whatever is being done inside should be ready by November, you know ... when the hype for The Force Awakens begins to hit a fevered pitch.

So, now, imagine you are Chapie (because no way would The Weatherman or The Oddly Waifish Man of Anemic Personality risk doing this themselves) at D23. You've (well, your company's leadership) been promising fanbois Star Wars product is coming to both USA resorts. You've teased them for YEARS now! You've basically said Marvel is coming to Anaheim (beyond the smallish meet-greet-and grunts). People are already in a lather over these possibilities.

How do you announce something brand new, while not announcing anything of substance?

Yeah, see above.

I hope said friend is wrong, but I could see Disney (the company that invites media whores to talk about adding benches for Fantasmic) deciding this is the perfect answer.

Announcing something while announcing nothing at all. Gee, hey Zenia Mucha -- you really don't think with evil cunning like that that I don't deserve a nice juicy blanking consulting deal? :devilish:;):greedy::greedy::greedy::cool:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom