Trip Report Live Trip Reporting June 27 to July 8, 2015

Hello All!

Here we are in the World...which means it is time for me to start up the Live trip reporting. If you have followed along with us before, Welcome Back! If this is your first Brifraz trip report welcome along for the ride. I try to post each day of our trip with at least a couple pictures. Mainly fun and frivolity, but also the occasional newsworthy item and a piece here or there of personal opinion.

There are three of us in the Brifraz team, myself, my wife, and our 11 year old daughter. As you can see by my signature below, we have made quite a few trips to the World. My wife and I are both high school teachers, so our trips are almost always summer, Christmas, or Spring Break. This will be our second 4th of July week in a row. If you want to read about last year, see the aforementioned signature. Also, if you want the 'pre-game' for this trip, see here.

So, yesterday, we set out from the house at 6:45pm and this morning, we pulled into the resort right around 10:15am. About 13.5 hours of driving and 2 hours of breaks. What does that mean? It's nap time! But since I doubt you want to read about us falling sound asleep in our hotel room, here's what has happened so far.

We arrived at 10:15am at which time we surprised our daughter with the news that we would be spending one night at Art of Animation. In fact, she hadn't expected us to leave until this morning, but you can read about all that in the pre-trip if you want. Check in was quick and easy and our CM, Doug, was exceptional.

After check-in, we went right to our room on the top floor of the Little Mermaid building 7. This being our first time here, we are quite impressed with the room. Very nice and a little more spacious than I was expecting. Had a little trouble with some magic bands that weren't activated, but once that got resolved (over the phone - our daughter's worked so we could get in the room, but ours didn't) we changed into swimwear and toured the resort grounds before hitting the pool. The theming here is great. We have been to All-Stars before and find this MUCH more satisfying. That being said, we are quite spoiled by our DVC at Old Key West and the crowded-ness and noise level here is not nearly so relaxing as over there.

Once we had explored the buildings, it was pool time. After some chair searching (OK, a lot of searching...) we found a spot to stow our stuff and hit the pool.

Love the fact that every sign in the area is done with the silver fish from Finding Nemo. Our daughter loved the music playing underwater. Hate the fact that towels are not readily available. Evidently they are first thing in the morning, but otherwise you have to get them at the front desk. Oh well, air drying was fine for us. After a bit of playing, a storm started to roll in, so it was out of the pool. It did allow for a nice picture of an empty Big Blue Pool.

We headed into Landscape of Flavors and got some lunch. My wife had a burger (not sure what all was topping it) and my daughter and I split the make-your-own pasta - spaghetti with alfredo, chicken, garlic, and parmesan. I was pretty happy with the size of the portion and the three of us all got enough to eat from just the two meals. If you are going to visit, please note that they accept Tables in Wonderland there since they don't have a table service restaurant in the resort. Can't beat 20% savings!

After this bit of rest, we are thinking of going over to Studios for a quick Frozen-themed visit (sing along and fireworks). I am a bit Frozen-ed out, but our daughter is still pretty obsessive about it. If you want to read more about that check out last summer's trip when we did the opening night of the Frozen package at DHS.

If I can, I'll update on the evening tonight. If not, we will be heading to Universal tomorrow for IOA (but not Potter, yet) and will update after that!

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Original Poster
Hello! I know I'm getting further behind, but here's the 4th of July update.

We started the morning by sleeping in a little bit - and getting laundry done as well. Things didn't really get rolling until close to 10am when we headed to Epcot for our breakfast with the princesses. As usual, we got our fill of food and enjoyed the interaction with the princesses. Also as usual, Ariel was by far the best one. Not sure why that is?

Sadly, they did not have any of the Lingonberry muffins at the cold buffet - quite a sad thing for this family! After breakfast, we headed back out of Epcot for a 4th of July afternoon at Old Key West. Before we started the fun activities, we met up with a certain Colonial soldier...

First activity for us was the watermelon eating contest. The girls both participated and did well, but couldn't get the win. I know it is tough to tell, but this is the 'all ages' women's competition and my girls are at the back right corner.

After some socializing, etc it was time for the Ice Cream Drop. We've never experience this, but it is just what it sounds like. One person drops ice cream into a cone in the other person's mouth. Here you can see the process. The girls took second place in their heat. 2.5 scoops hit the cone.

After a drink at the Gurgling Suitcase and a little pool time, we went back the room for a quick nap before heading to Epcot. Arriving at Epcot around 6pm, we hit our Soarin' FP+ and then walked around to the American Adventure to set up camp for the 4th fireworks. When we got our spot things were still dry, but then the rain came in. Here's the view from our spot.

And the view of the sunset behind the clouds from that spot.

While waiting, we met nice people from a number of places and one family even shared their funnel cakes with us! We were also entertained by a couple sets from the Boston tribute band. Finally it was time for the fireworks. Even though it was still raining a bit, things went off without a hitch. Not a lot of good pictures though because of the rain (didn't want to take out the good camera). But I do have to comment on the quality of the new lasers that I had read about. I am a huge Illuminations fan and was glad to see the love that the laser projections have gotten.

The 4th of July tag was excellent and as usual brought me to tears. Not sure what it is about 200+ explosive shells going off that can be so emotional!

By the end of the fireworks and our usual 'wait things out' time, it was close to 11pm before we headed out of the park. I know this last picture from the 4th is out of focus, but I loved the lighting as the Spaceship Earth laser projections come from the American Adventure pavilion.

And a mental note for next year... this year we tried driving into Epcot in the morning, using the bus for back and forth, and then driving home after fireworks. Bad call. Take the bus, dagnabbit!!

I'll try to get the 5th up (2 parks and lots of Key Limes) up tomorrow ASAP. Thanks for following along!

FlaggNL

Great pictures!! Love the lightning pictures! You really had the shot! Watched the 4th of July fireworks live on youtube... yes it was 03.00 nightime here in Netherlands.... :) but I am so jealous for people who were actually there! it was such a great show!! And although I can imagine that it was a very crowded day, the even had to close the park for a while (phase B closure) as I am good informed... but someday we will be there also at the 4th of July! Thanks again for sharing!

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Original Poster
Love the MK firework pictures! So jealous you got to spend the 4th in Disney! Someday… :rolleyes:

Great pictures!! Love the lightning pictures! You really had the shot! Watched the 4th of July fireworks live on youtube... yes it was 03.00 nightime here in Netherlands.... :) but I am so jealous for people who were actually there! it was such a great show!! And although I can imagine that it was a very crowded day, the even had to close the park for a while (phase B closure) as I am good informed... but someday we will be there also at the 4th of July! Thanks again for sharing!

That phased closure is why we do the 3rd at Magic Kingdom and the 4th at Epcot. This year both seemed a little less crowded than last year. The 3rd/4th fireworks at Magic Kingdom are really amazing, but for me the 4th tag at Epcot is even better. The last 10 seconds of that Epcot tag are just amazing. If we find ourselves back here again next year (for soccer camp, likely) we will watch from the Mexico area so we can see both the Epcot and Studios fireworks at pretty much the same time.

FlaggNL

That phased closure is why we do the 3rd at Magic Kingdom and the 4th at Epcot. This year both seemed a little less crowded than last year. The 3rd/4th fireworks at Magic Kingdom are really amazing, but for me the 4th tag at Epcot is even better. The last 10 seconds of that Epcot tag are just amazing. If we find ourselves back here again next year (for soccer camp, likely) we will watch from the Mexico area so we can see both the Epcot and Studios fireworks at pretty much the same time.

More than great! I also watch a 360° youtube version of last night.... that was even more marvelous! 4th of July is by far the best firework I ever saw, even DLP 14th of July can't match the USA version!

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Original Poster
July 5th started with an early morning Animal Kingdom visit.

The Safari at 8am was very good. Interesting in that we had a very different mix of animals from normal. We had the usual wildebeests on the savannah plus a group of very playful kudu right in front of our jeep. No giraffes at all, though, and a large construction area with a concrete wall left of the main path just into the savannah area. After the bridge which sadly did not move, we were treated to absolutely no elephants. What? But then the cheetah were out and about pacing and the lions wee all quite visible and awake on their rock. The white rhino were also quite active with one pacing our jeep for a while. Then the new zebra area...totally empty. So, an odd mix.

We then walked through the new Harambe market area and I liked the faux market at the far end enough to warrant a panoramic pic.

Time for Dinoland, USA and that means Primeval Whirl first. Our daughter loves this one and I always brave stomach unhappiness to ride it. Then we did Dinosaur which she only allowed beginning last year. But now that she's seen the Jurassic Park/World movies we are good to go. After that we crossed the park for Starbucks and to meet Pocahontas before Nemo.

In line at 10:30 for the 11am Finding Nemo show we saw this friend. He is about 4 inches long.

This is the third year in a row we have seen him in the Nemo line or at least one like him!

Loved Nemo as usual was quite good. Particularly liked our Dori and Marlin. After the show we left Animal Kingdom for this trip and headed to our room for a lunch break and then to Studios.

First up was what likely is our last Animation visit. Very sad about that. Heck I was sad when they got rid of the Robin Williams/Walter Cronkite film. Hope it returns after the DHS redo even better than before.

We then watched Little Mermaid (wow, that feels more dated every time) before our early dinner at 50's Prime Time. Our daughter was sufficiently embarrassed when she was fed her last green beans by the waiter. I had the Ceasar salad with salmon and it was most excellent. After dinner we saw Muppet Vision, get this, instead of using our FP+ for Toy Story. Yup, that's how we roll! The storms were arriving so we dodged what few raindrops we could to get to the car.

Safely back at Old Key West, it was time to enjoy the Women's World Cup Final and the Key Lime Festival. Excellent! Obviously, the game went very well. So did the key lime wine tasting, my daughter competing in the key lime pie eating contest (2nd place) and the specialty drinks at the Gurgling Suitcase - we tried the Key Lime Tea (Long Island iced tea make with key lime juice) and the Key Lime Life Saver. Both excellent. Here are our drinks of the day - first from 50s Prime Time and then from the Gurgling Suitcase.

I'm going to try to get caught up tomorrow with July 6th (which just wrapped up in reality) and July 7th (tomorrow). Sorry I got a little behind! Too much to do and too little time to do it!

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Original Poster
How dare you try to actually enjoy your vacation? Don't you know your first priority should be to report back to us as soon as possible?!?

Just kidding. Take all the time you need! Loving the report!

I love doing them. And it is the best way for us to remember everything we did! When I get a day or two behind, I start to forget exactly what happened and when it happened...

LdyApxr

OK, Tuesday is in the books, friends. Long day as we are just back in the room getting ready to sleep at 10pm and as you saw earlier, we were at Epcot about 7:30am this morning. So, here's the recap!

Epcot at 7:40am and ready for an extremely brief Extra Magic Hours visit. Test Track was our only goal. And we did it, no problem. In at a couple minutes before 8am and out at 8:20am. Our daughter designed our car and went for ALL power. Funny and quite odd looking, but certainly not a winner in the game of Test Track. We left Epcot and took her to Soccer Camp, but since today was a celebrity day, we stuck around for some pictures. Not only did Marcelo visit the camp (all we expected), but he hung out with the kids (and his son) and played with them as well. Here's our daughter setting the defense with Enzo, his son.

After a goal, there were high fives all around. My daughter is only 11, but now she has done something that I have never done...high-fived with someone who has played in the World Cup. As a lifelong soccer fanatic, I am quite jealous!

!
I am really enjoying the report! As a first time visitor(going May 2016), I read all of these that I can and yours is pretty awesome! Isn't it funny how many things our kids get to do that we as parents never will? LOL My son has been a fixture in the MotoGP paddock since he was 7(he turns 17 on Wednesday) and has had lunch and dinner with 9x World Champion Valentino Rossi along with many other legends of racing. We just get to be "Oh yeah, you are Riley's parents....." We don't really have names... LOL

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Original Poster
Ok, so I am currently sitting in the Jurassic Park Discovery Center at IOA while the girls ride Harry Potter Forbidden Journey again. So, here's July 6 but without pictures. Pics later today, promise, OK?

Up and out the door at 7:20am to drive to Universal. At the parking area we had some issues. After paying the "park" signs were ambiguous at best and we (plus a number of other cars) found ourselves exiting. Frustrating! How hard would it be to have a person directing traffic? So, back through the paying area again and we found the right way (sadly watching others head to the exit in error) and as we headed up the garage ramps the next "park" dig was pointed at a row of cones! Didn't believe that one and eventually got park and into the park about 8:10am. First stop was Diagonal Alley and Gringotts. Very cool - I really enjoyed it but the girls felt it was a little underwhelming. Not enough thrill factor. Our daughter then bought her interactive wand and we explored for an hour or so. Took the Hogwarts Express to Hogsmeade and explored there as well. The wand activities are fun, but sometimes a little tough to get to work. Saw a short tri-wizard show and then tge girls did Dragon Challenge on the red side.

After riding the Express back to London, we got lunch at the Leaky Cauldron and explored a bit more. Good food again - my wife and I split the pie sampler and both were good but small. We think the kids meal fish and chips our daughter got might have been more food! After some Knights Bus time we went out of London (do love that the snacks and drinks in London fit the theme).

Time for Men in Black. The wait was over 30 which made it out longest wait of this trip so far. Enjoyed the ride - basically a grown up Buzz and then over to SanFrancisco for Disaster! Our daughter got picked as an extra and was sufficiently good as an actress. Sadly on the actual ride part, they showed the wrong video with the wrong extras. Bad show Uni. We then wandered toward park exit with a stop off at Twister. It was about 2:30pm at this point and we needed some down time.

Speaking of time...they might be almost done with Potter's Journey so I'll wrap up here and finish the day later! And pics, I promise pics!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom