If Fantasmic! was axed as well...

Would you care if WDW axed Fantasmic! too?

• Yes

Votes: 42 35.3%
  • No

Votes: 39 32.8%
  • Depends what it's replaced with

Votes: 34 28.6%
  • Neutral

Votes: 4 3.4%

• Total voters

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Original Poster
With all of the attractions and shows and everything just coming up on the official and rumored chopping block.. Including things I personally would have never thought would leave (Muppets, Art of Animation), I have three questions for the members of these forums.

1). Do you think Disney will get rid of Fantasmic! as well?

2). If so, what do you suppose they will replace it with? Given the updates rumored to be happening.

I personally think that it's a 50/50 chance of this happening.. And if it does, I believe they'll create a Star Wars-themed night show of some sort. Given the way things are turning out anyways. Whether it's fireworks or a mixture of that AND a giant show of some sort. It's not something I would personally enjoy, as I am not a Star Wars fan by any means. I wouldn't get it. But I could see this happening.

3). What would you PERSONALLY replace it with?

I personally would really update the show! The animated water affects are good for a little while, but I believe it's used way too often. I would replace a good bit of the water-affect scenes with some scenes from new movies such as Princess & the Frog, Tangled, Frozen... (yea yea, hate me. But at least it would actually fit in here.) I'd probably replace the Pocahontas scene as well. Add some more villains from the newer movies to take part in the show.

I personally just believe it needs a massive update. It's a great show, great concept, amazing storyline.. Just needs to be tweaked now.

DisneyJunkie

I had to say "no", that I wouldn't care if it was axed. We went and viewed Fantasmic on our last trip and were completely underwhelmed and unimpressed.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I would not care. I have seen it half a dozen times and I am over it. I would prefer that the show was updated, but at this point I don't really care what they do as long it is different than what is there now.

SAV

F! is my least favorite of the Night Time shows, so I wouldn't care if they got rid of it. I've seen it twice and that is enough.

orlando678-

It just needs an update but it would be sad to see it go. The other thing that I actually hope to see, is a nighttime show similar to Cinematic soectacular at Universal. It just fits the movie/studio theme better.

Bairstow

If they don't get rid of it it's certainly due for some upgrades.
Of the three versions of Fantasmic, WDW's is by far the least impressive.

blueboxdoctor

Doubt it'll go away, it's kind of iconic at this point and they already took the hat away from us. Though, I could see an update happening, mainly to get some new effects going on but keep the show basically the same. I also doubt it would be replaced by Star Wars, but I could see a Star Wars themed show ending up somewhere else there (which is fine, add more shows, the park already has some good ones and new ones would be great, and if possible, make it run later into the evening, the shows end too soon there).

As for Muppets going away, no big deal, they're not really popular anymore and their show wasn't anything special, at least for me, but I was never a big fan of the Muppets.

JIMINYCR

I'd be surprised if it went. It continues to draw the crowds and guests are happy with the show. I personally would welcome a change, with the big money being allocated to the park, maybe there will be an expenditure flowing in that direction as well.

KDM31091

It could stand to be revamped, as others mentioned it hasn't been touched in years. Sometimes leaving well enough alone is good, so it's hard to say if they would make it better or worse!

It's clear we are coming up on a total makeover for the Studios though so who knows what will happen.

Sage of Time

Nope. It's a lame and cheap adaptation of the Disneyland version and in a terrible location. They could use that land for something better. And a new nighttime spectacular.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Original Poster
Doubt it'll go away, it's kind of iconic at this point and they already took the hat away from us. Though, I could see an update happening, mainly to get some new effects going on but keep the show basically the same. I also doubt it would be replaced by Star Wars, but I could see a Star Wars themed show ending up somewhere else there (which is fine, add more shows, the park already has some good ones and new ones would be great, and if possible, make it run later into the evening, the shows end too soon there).

As for Muppets going away, no big deal, they're not really popular anymore and their show wasn't anything special, at least for me, but I was never a big fan of the Muppets.

I would have thought Maelstrom being in Epcot was "iconic" as well, but I don't think that seems to help the situation.

I do feel like Disney needs to be brave and go the direction Universal has been going with "iconic attractions"... Back to the Future, Jaws, Kongfrontation... Uni got a LOT of hate from major fans for replacing opening-day classic attractions, but the replacements were DEFINITELY worth it! Because look how much they've been profiting from these decisions!

Now I'll say classics within Magic Kingdom such as Jungle Cruise, Carousel of Progress, Tom Sawyer Island.. Those are different. But "iconic attractions" in Epcot, Animal Kingdom and definitely Hollywood Studios... They need to operate the way Universal does. When something isn't popular anymore, they need to close it and then replace it. Maelstrom got a lot of hate from fans, but, like Jaws to Harry Potter, Frozen will be significantly more popular business-wise.

Right now, Disney's only doing HALF of this with Hollywood Studios. They're closing attractions, but there aren't any announced plans on replacement... We only have rumors..

I'm just saying.. To keep people like me and many others coming, they need to start replacing the classic unpopular attractions otherwise the parks are just going to remain the same for years and years and it'll just get boring.. and that's what happened to Hollywood Studios. They've almost waited TOO long to replace non popular attractions with new cutting-edge technology attractions. We've gotten Toy Story Mania and Star Tours II. Everything else either sucked or closed without replacement.

lazyboy97o

Fantasmic! at Walt Disney World is not very fantastic. The lackluster amphitheater setting needs a genuine spectacle, not a poor copy.

blueboxdoctor

I would have thought Maelstrom being in Epcot was "iconic" as well, but I don't think that seems to help the situation.

I do feel like Disney needs to be brave and go the direction Universal has been going with "iconic attractions"... Back to the Future, Jaws, Kongfrontation... Uni got a LOT of hate from major fans for replacing opening-day classic attractions, but the replacements were DEFINITELY worth it! Because look how much they've been profiting from these decisions!

Now I'll say classics within Magic Kingdom such as Jungle Cruise, Carousel of Progress, Tom Sawyer Island.. Those are different. But "iconic attractions" in Epcot, Animal Kingdom and definitely Hollywood Studios... They need to operate the way Universal does. When something isn't popular anymore, they need to close it and then replace it. Maelstrom got a lot of hate from fans, but, like Jaws to Harry Potter, Frozen will be significantly more popular business-wise.

Right now, Disney's only doing HALF of this with Hollywood Studios. They're closing attractions, but there aren't any announced plans on replacement... We only have rumors..

I'm just saying.. To keep people like me and many others coming, they need to start replacing the classic unpopular attractions otherwise the parks are just going to remain the same for years and years and it'll just get boring.. and that's what happened to Hollywood Studios. They've almost waited TOO long to replace non popular attractions with new cutting-edge technology attractions. We've gotten Toy Story Mania and Star Tours II. Everything else either sucked or closed without replacement.

I completely agree they need to keep fresh and that for the most part, Hollywood Studios needs big updates. Indiana Jones is pretty dated at this point. The whole strip of buildings with the old Drew Carey thing and American Idol needs to be updated (isn't it just empty now?). The backlot tour is apparently gone, I would have just updated it and made it a new tour, but they can use the land for something cool (Pixar or Star Wars land maybe?). Really, a lot of the park can be changed to little complaint. I just meant the show shouldn't be drastically changed, but maybe change some of the scenes while keeping the same theme.

As for Maelstrom, it was kind of just there and nobody ever sat in the theatre at the end. I don't know if I'm fully for a Frozen takeover there as well, but they did need to do something.

And I still don't fully support Avatar in AK, but they too needed to do something (should have kept the original fantasy creatures theme, that is always timeless and not trendy, or rather, a fading trend, like Avatar is). And now they'll also be getting a night show, which I'm interested in seeing.

Basically, change is good, especially for dead areas in parks, of which Hollywood Studios has many. I may not agree with all the changes but usually they work out in the end.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom