NASCAR 2015

wdwfan4ver

I saw the Indy 500 and Coca Cola 600. I like the strategy calls for the Coca Cola 600.

I wasn't shocked that Montoya won the 500. His Open Wheel Resume in America always will be a what if category despite his now 2 Indy 500 wins since he left the American Open Wheel racing scene from 2001 to 2013.

I remembered Montoya when he first went to CART in 1999. He always was a great talent, but he was not the success that people expected in NASCAR. Montoya left CART for F1. He had success in F1, but was blackballed based from top F1 owners on what I heard due at the time he first went to NASCAR. Juan won races there, but was involved in wrecks also. Top F1 owners didn't lack the fact Juan had contact with other cars in that series.

I understood why Montoya left CART after 2000. Open Wheel racing was a mess in 1999 and was for many years thanks to Tony George and the owners of CART. The Indy 500 in 2000 was not a deep field that he won at. Indy 500 races before CART owners went to Indy Racing League were weak due to CART having the better talent.

Open Wheel Racing popularity in the mid to late 90 was on the decline due to a split. The Indy Racing league was formed for the 96, but there was another major racing series called CART. The Indy Racing League was created due to the split from CART with it caused by Tony George. CART the racing organization that had Indy 500 Races before it was forced not be at the 1996 Indy 500. CART was only allowed a very small amount of Cars in 1996 Indy 500 if they decided to show up for the event due to the Indy Racing League.

Tony George created Indy Racing League originally for American drivers and those who raced in USAC. Tony didn't like the fact Jeff Gordon was a very successful USAC driver, but not CART owner wanted him due to him not bringing money to the table. Jeff was forced do go the NASCAR route as a result. Tony didn't want anymore USAC drivers go to NASCAR like Jeff did due to owners not being Interested in them despite the talent the driver might have.

What Tony George actually did was hurt the popularity of open wheel racing in America by that despite his good intentions. Any driver that had great talent and a great Prospect in that era left CART and the Indy Racing League Series due to the stability of open wheel racing in the United States. Tony Stewart outside of the Indy 500 left for NASCAR partly due to that fact like Montoya did for going to F1.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Thanks, I WILL post results but if you prefer I will step down from this thread.

ETA: Nevermind, you can be in charge now. I guess I'm not fast enough but forcing myself to stay awake after a seven hour drive when I'm exhausted just to post results I will not do and I don't get up at the crack of dawn.

Oops, I posted to help out only, because I knew you were returning from a nice long weekend trip. No desire to take over here at all; you've done a great job always, and look forward to your continuing posts. Always appreciated. :)

MOXOMUMD

Original Poster
15-1648_page2_large.jpeg

Fedex 400 benefiting Autism Speaks, Dover

1. Jimmie Johnson
2. Kevin Harvick
3. Kyle Larson

wdwfan4ver

The race at Sonoma was good for a road course race, but this was a great race weekend.

I saw the Auto Club Indycar race on television and it remembered me of the great CART races at Indycar Speedway back in the 1990's and early 2000's.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
The race at Sonoma was good for a road course race, but this was a great race weekend.

I saw the Auto Club Indycar race on television and it remembered me of the great CART races at Indycar Speedway back in the 1990's and early 2000's.

Wish there were more hours in the day; I can barely keep up with NASCAR news. ;) Indy racing appears intriguing, but I don't know much about it. Happy for you that you had some exposure to that style of racing, while you watched the CART races back in the 90s and early 2000s.

MOXOMUMD

Original Poster
11:27 p.m. and we finally get the command to start engines. :facepalm: Darn rain. At least I got to watch all of the US world cup game.

Last edited:

MOXOMUMD

Original Poster
oh_my_god_cat_by_mimsie155-d5y4g73.jpeg

WHAT AN ENDING!!!!! (It's 2:40 a.m.) BUT WHAT AN ENDING!!!!!!

I hope all the drivers from that last lap accident (and the fans that were injured) are okay. It was worth staying up until almost 3 a.m.!!! Thank God for the safety catch fence or many people would have died.

Last edited:

wdwfan4ver

My concern is the cars flying to the catch fence in terms of the fans. I am sure NASCAR doesn't want a 1955 Le Mans on their hands.

I've seen this happening during plate races multiple times in different NASCAR series at Daytona or Talladega since Carl Edwards flew to the catch fence at the 2009 Spring Talladega race.The only solution I could think of it move back the seating for the fans in terms of having less odds of getting hurt even with minor injuries.

What happened with Austin Dillon's car flying into the fence is something I've seen in CART and Indycar besides the 2000 Geoff Bodine Truck Series wreck at Daytona. That style of a crash into a catch fence or near the flag area for CART and Indycar was deadly for driver.

Austin Dillion is lucky that he is racing in 2015, not in 2000. Geoff Bodine back in 2000 was forced to be taken to the hospital and missed races due to the injuries he had besides a concussion. Geoff' had fractures to the right wrist, right cheekbone, vertebra in back, and right ankle.

Last edited:

wdwfan4ver

The 1955 Le Mans is a well known tragic event in Auto racing history that caused some countries to ban racing. The 1955 Le Mans was the racing event that there was a crash that caused parts of the car to fly into the stands. The parts that flew into the crowd were the hood of the car, Front Axle,and heavy engine block. The same accident also had the the rear-mounted fuel tank ruptured and turned into an inferno.

The official count of 83 spectators died, 120 injured, and death of a driver. The driver died after he flew out of the car. The driver driver didn't wear a seat belt. The 83 people and and another 120 killed were caused by parts flying out the car or by that fire caused by the ruptured fuel tank.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom