What are your thoughts on the D23 Expo and combining with Disneyland?

Figments Friend

So the 2015 Disney Legends have been announced, and i'm pleased to see one of my favorite musicians getting a nice nod ( Danny Elfman ) and the artist Eyvind Earle being honored.
It is also really nice to see animator Andrea Deja be awarded this title.

The 'big news' however that most fans will be gushing over is the announcement that George Lucas is to become a 'Disney Legend' and be presented with an award.
It is assumed he will be in attendance to accept the award, which will surely send some fans' geek-o-meter through the roof.

Now i can understand why 'overnight camping' is being allowed this year.....ha ha..!
I can already see the line forming on Katella Ave at this very minute with people lining up in advance for this first major panel of the day on August 14th.....

:confused:

mickeycrazie

Don't think I'm gonna be a fan of this "overnight queuing"! I've been a Gold D23 member since Day 1 and I've been to all of the Expo's and yes it's been a mess but it was a little better last year. I have a room at the Hilton to lay my head so I don't need to campout next door. Seems like a free place to stay for the weekend to me. Anyway...if I can't get into any of the good stuff in the Hall because of this overnight camping this will be my last year of being a D23 member and my last Expo. Flying across the US, parking at the airport while I'm away, 4 nights stay at the Hilton, park passes to Disneyland, food for the weekend, transportation to and from the airport will be expensive to not get to see any or even 1 of the events in the Hall. Good luck to everyone in getting in if you don't camp out.

Figments Friend

This is why i decided to forego my annual September visit this year, and instead combine it with the Expo.
I cannot see myself flying coast to coast and the expenses involved just for the weekend Event, but it is more justified if i include it with a week long vacation trip i would be taking anyway.

I agree....i think the 'overnight camping' aspect that is being allowed for the first time this year is going to work against us.
For the fans that want to do that, and maybe even get a buzz of excitement from it, i hope they enjoy themselves.
From my perspective this is just going to make it even more difficult for anyone NOT 'camping overnight' to attend any of the larger morning panels.

With the recent announcement of George Lucas showing up for the Legends ceremony, i have pretty much come to the conclusion i will not be able to see the Ceremony Event myself.
I am okay with that in some respects, as the Ceremony will likely be uploaded online within moments of it's conclusion anyway.
Best to focus on other things that you can only see there in person.

mickeycrazie

Here's another question. I know the doors for the campers open @ 10pm do they close at a particular time? Don't the open the doors @ 7am for non campers. Am i confused?

Maryssa*

Wait... so I'm reading all this stuff here about line camping... is this expo like Comic Con where to get into a panel you have to line up at 2am? This is my first year actually getting to the expo so I was not expecting such a hassle...

Figments Friend

Wait... so I'm reading all this stuff here about line camping... is this expo like Comic Con where to get into a panel you have to line up at 2am? This is my first year actually getting to the expo so I was not expecting such a hassle...

It's my first year, too....and the whole 'overnight camping' allowance is crazy.
As GiveMeTheMusic said, this is the first year they are allowing it.

In the past, camping overnight was not allowed at all at the Expo.
Attendees could start lining up outside the Convention Center doors around 5am the morning of the Expo's first day if they wanted to get in right when the doors opened to buy merchandise or line up for panels.
This year however, it was announced that camping overnight will be allowed in a indoor space starting the evening before.
That means by the time anyone shows up Friday morning to line up for entrance, they will already likely have thousands in front of them already positioned inside.

I really feel bad for those who have attended in the past and are planning on showing up at their usually early morning time on Friday and discovering they have all of the overnight campers in front of them.
That will really suck for those not paying attention to the recent changes.
Many thanks for the person here who tipped me off.

Should be fun.....not.

Not really understanding why Disney feels a need to introduce the camping scene.
Maybe for some regulars, and Con goers in general, 'camping out' to attend a panel or Event is a part of the experience they want?
I suppose if you are with friends, it can be like a fun sleepover party....but it seems like a scene i would think Disney would want to avoid.
Who am i to say.....but when the announcement was made i had to question the reasons behind it.

Regarding the panels, yes, you will have to line up for hours in the cases of the major panels.
The smaller panels i have been told you can usually get in to without a insane wait especially if you utilize the recent 'StagePass' system.
For the 'Big Ones' though...where celebs appear or major announcements are expected to be made, expect to give up a lot of your Expo time waiting in lines.
Ditto goes for all the Expo Stores, too.

My impression after researching what it's like to attend is to have a very short list of priorities and focus on those.
Also, just go to enjoy the overall ambiance and general Show Floor offerings.
You never know who you might see, or meet...and of course being surrounded by thousands of Disney geeks is fun in itself.
:)

Last edited:

Californian Elitist

People are going to camp out whether it's an official thing or not. The Expo has grown over the years, and more and more fans are coming out to see it every other year. I'm not surprised Disney has now set up this "program." The crowds are huge.

So glad I went the first year.

Figments Friend

Yeah, you are right raven24.
From D23's perspective, allowing it might help diffuse potential bigger issues down the road.

I vaguely recall hearing about fans camping out regardless of it being 'allowed' or not.
With the kind of crowds that are being attracted to the Expo now, i suppose it was only a matter of time before the organizers came up with something to address the situation before it becomes a real problem.
They probably don't want to see a line stretching all the way down Katella Ave. with everyone in their sleeping bags on the sidewalk.

Gaston's gal

I wish that they would make a line for those that want to go to the first large panel of the day and one for the rest of us who want to get tickets/Fastpasses for later in the day. I don't want to camp out, but maybe try to shop early this year, then go to panels later in the day on Friday. I know it will be mass chaos like always, just wish there was some way to organize it. LOL

Figments Friend

I like that idea.
Have separate lines for people depending on what they want to do first when the doors open.
Nothing overly complicated, just three lines -
First Panel
Shopping only
General admission to it all

Of course, Members would likely want priority entrance lines as i have heard mentioned previously ( Members line, Non-Members line ) so i guess you would then need six lines, two each for Members and Non-Members.

Gee...i think i can guess why the organizers don't so this!

From what i gather from my research, it is confusing and chaotic enough with just the two existing lines.
Still, in the case of the Legends Ceremony taking place Friday morning, it would be nice if there was one ( or two...Members that be..) lines for just attending this.
Wishful thinking.

Figments Friend

Just a heads up for anyone watching their mail box for their Expo tickets -

They are 'out there' and have been mailed !

Just received my mailing today so folks waiting for theirs should have them any day now.
Getting down to only a couple more weeks to go....so i am sure i was not the only one watching the mail slot for them.

TP2000

This is the first year they're allowing overnight camping out. I think it's a really bad idea.

I agree. That creates a different type of vibe and atmosphere for this event. And it seems very unnecessary.

I'll be stopping by on Saturday afternoon for a couple hours, just to stroll through the exhibit halls and visit the Imagineering pavilion. I will be sleeping in my own bed the night before.

Gaston's gal

Just a heads up for anyone watching their mail box for their Expo tickets -

They are 'out there' and have been mailed !

Just received my mailing today so folks waiting for theirs should have them any day now.
Getting down to only a couple more weeks to go....so i am sure i was not the only one watching the mail slot for them.
Woo Hoo!!! I'm out of town now, so I sure hope when I get back that I'm greeted with the tickets. I can't wait!

Figments Friend

I agree. That creates a different type of vibe and atmosphere for this event. And it seems very unnecessary.

I'll be stopping by on Saturday afternoon for a couple hours, just to stroll through the exhibit halls and visit the Imagineering pavilion. I will be sleeping in my own bed the night before.

Hey, maybe we will bump into each other TP!
You have the advantage, since you already know what i look like.

Oh.....and the *Baxterland* t-shirt i will probably be wearing would likely be a giveaway, too......
:p

mickeycrazie

So my question is ....what are my advantages of being a paid d23 gold member besides getting the book every quarter to just put in a pile in a corner?

mickeycrazie

In the past the lines have been very long all the time. They are issuing storepasses that you may want to try and get. Might be very helpful.

Gaston's gal-I like the idea of getting FP for later events in Hall D23 in the AM so we can shop in the AM.
Figments Friend-we may be headed to Disneyland Park to enjoy 60th stuff earlier in the day than expected. Glad we have Priority Seating for World of Color and other dining ressies for the other 2 nights.

Figments Friend

So i was just taking a closer look at my Expo ticket.....you know, the one i had such a difficult time purchasing at the Member rate a month or so ago...?

Well, looking at it i see i'm listed as a 'Gold/Silver Member'......
...which i am not.

I'm a 'free Member'.

Hmmm...
Does this mean i just received a 'upgrade' as a little reward for all the trouble i went through.....or is it simply on every 'free Members' ticket..?

As regular Expo-goers know, Gold/Silver Members are entitled to early admission.
Makes me wonder.

Any 'free Members' who received their tickets, are you also seeing 'Gold/Silver Member' printed on them..?

-

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom