What are your thoughts on the D23 Expo and combining with Disneyland?

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
D23's web acumen is seriously lacking. Buying tickets was a nightmare. I wanted two Sorcerer Passes, was on line and refreshing my browser constantly. It went live and I had to fill out a survey before ordering, which wouldn't let you go further if you skipped anything and made you start from scratch (fortunately, I did get through the first try). Then I got in to order and had to complete all identifying info for the first ticket before completing that order and starting the process for the second ticket. Needless to say they were sold out! There was no way to indicate that I was looking for two passes.

After much annoyance and many emails, I did finally get the second pass. D23 needs to fix the entire process.

Gaston's gal

D23's web acumen is seriously lacking. Buying tickets was a nightmare. I wanted two Sorcerer Passes, was on line and refreshing my browser constantly. It went live and I had to fill out a survey before ordering, which wouldn't let you go further if you skipped anything and made you start from scratch (fortunately, I did get through the first try). Then I got in to order and had to complete all identifying info for the first ticket before completing that order and starting the process for the second ticket. Needless to say they were sold out! There was no way to indicate that I was looking for two passes.

After much annoyance and many emails, I did finally get the second pass. D23 needs to fix the entire process.
The Sorcerer Passes sold out within the first hour they were available. Sorry that wasn't listed for you. You will still have a good time, you will just have to fight the crowds.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
The Sorcerer Passes sold out within the first hour they were available. Sorry that wasn't listed for you. You will still have a good time, you will just have to fight the crowds.
Oh no, I did get one right away, they sold out within the 7 minutes it took me to order and I couldn't get the second.

I ultimately cleared the waitlist and got one for my son a few months later. My problem was they didn't let me order two and fill in all the personal details after...

Gaston's gal

Thanks!

Special treat for my son. Certainly wouldn't do it more than once!
It is indeed a special treat. I have gone the last 2 Expos with my daughter and she would LOVE to have those tickets! Some people don't see how it is worth it, but to avoid the lines does make it worth it, in my opinion.

Figments Friend

Egad.....never have i had such a hard time trying to make a simple online purchase.

Still not getting anywhere on the Expo ticket website.
Yes, i can get the 'Member' rated ticket...but still cannot move on to the payment page due to the 'questions' issue.

Still keep getting the annoying message about having to change my question answer to 'Other', or leave it unanswered.
My answer has been 'Other' from the start, and changing my answer does nothing....same end result.
You cannot leave it unanswered as it will not let you move on to the next step !
Talk about unnecessary frustration....

Consider this a warning to you other 'newbies' out there trying to buy your first Expo ticket.

This is supposed to be fun....right..?
I am considerably annoyed at this moment.
:mad:

I sent off two e-mails ....hoping for a quick response and a resolution.
I did'nt see a phone number to call direct.

Figments Friend

-

A update regarding my saga in trying to get a Member priced Expo ticket -

Yesterday i received a generic e-mail back that just directed me to the 'Help' link of the main D23 website.
So no help at all.....really.
A bit frustrating.

This morning i logged back in and tried buying my Member ticket again, but it was the same ol' results...cannot get through to finish my purchase due to the annoying 'questions' issue.
Round n' round we go....dizzy with annoyance....not getting anywhere.
Grrrr....

THEN....it happened-
Suddenly, IT WORKED!
I could finally reach the 'payment' page and buy my ticket !
Woo Hoo !!

When i went back into my e-mail to check for my confirmation, a personalized e-mail from the Event staff had just been sent that informed me they fixed the issue and i could log back in and buy my ticket...which i had just done.
So it was indeed a nasty 'glitch' that was keeping me running around in virtual circles for the last two days.

So a 'happy ending' after quite a bit of nuttiness.
I have my 'Member' ticket...and i am GOING.
:)

So i did eventually get this resolved....whew......
It will be interesting to see if anyone else who tries to buy a 'Member' ticket runs into this same issue.

Last edited:

Figments Friend

Thanks.

Two days ago i heard from another D23 rep, who seemed aware of my 'non-Magical' experience trying to buy a Member ticket.
This time it was a much more personal message and a real reaching out from a real person who wanted my phone number and a time that was best to call and talk about it.
Hmmm..they must be reading a certain thread here on WDWMagic...
;)

At that point, i had already succeeded in getting the 'glitch' fixed and secure a Member ticket, but i still appreciated the (eventual) more personalized offer to help resolve the issue.
The ticket buying experience, i will admit. was not a great way to start off my first Expo experience....
It diminished my enthusiasm a bit.

But...it's official now, i'm going.

First thoughts -

I am not really expecting too much in regards to it being a mindblowing experience.
Not expecting any major announcements to happen, but that comes more from enduring several years of pre-Expo 'fan hype' about such things and in the end nothing being revealed or announced.
I hope to be surprised of course, but i have nothing to compare this to really since this is my first one.

I'm excited about the experience to come, but also being a bit cautious.
Keeping my expectations low and going in with a open mind, hoping to be surprised and having what little expectations i have blown away.

Also trying to keep things in perspective too....particularly after reading so many fan reviews over the last few years.
Hoping this will be the winning combo that delivers maximum value and minimal possible disappointments.

There are certain aspects of this Event that present unique opportunities, and that is my primary drive to attend one.
I know i will enjoy the WDI related displays/presentations...and Parks & Resorts aspects...but other then that, the rest seems to be a big shopping mall and social scene.
Since i am going alone and not really focused on the shopping aspects, this could be a non-plus.

Right now i am plotting on how best to smuggle in some snacks ( i have been advised to avoid the food at the venue ) and how early i might want to plan on arriving.

Any advice, tips, general experience overview from our readers here...??
Help clue in a 'newbie' to the Expo scene !

Last edited:

Gaston's gal

Thanks.

Two days ago i heard from another D23 rep, who seemed aware of my 'non-Magical' experience trying to buy a Member ticket.
This time it was a much more personal message and a real reaching out from a real person who wanted my phone number and a time that was best to call and talk about it.
Hmmm..they must be reading a certain thread here on WDWMagic...
;)

At that point, i had already succeeded in getting the 'glitch' fixed and secure a Member ticket, but i still appreciated the (eventual) more personalized offer to help resolve the issue.
The ticket buying experience, i will admit. was not a great way to start off my first Expo experience....
It diminished my enthusiasm a bit.

But...it's official now, i'm going.

First thoughts -

I am not really expecting too much in regards to it being a mindblowing experience.
Not expecting any major announcements to happen, but that comes more from enduring several years of pre-Expo 'fan hype' about such things and in the end nothing being revealed or announced.
I hope to be surprised of course, but i have nothing to compare this to really since this is my first one.

I'm excited about the experience to come, but also being a bit cautious.
Keeping my expectations low and going in with a open mind, hoping to be surprised and having what little expectations i have blown away.

Also trying to keep things in perspective too....particularly after reading so many fan reviews over the last few years.
Hoping this will be the winning combo that delivers maximum value and minimal possible disappointments.

There are certain aspects of this Event that present unique opportunities, and that is my primary drive to attend one.
I know i will enjoy the WDI related displays/presentations...and Parks & Resorts aspects...but other then that, the rest seems to be a big shopping mall and social scene.
Since i am going alone and not really focused on the shopping aspects, this could be a non-plus.

Right now i am plotting on how best to smuggle in some snacks ( i have been advised to avoid the food at the venue ) and how early i might want to plan on arriving.

Any advice, tips, general experience overview from our readers here...??
Help clue in a 'newbie' to the Expo scene !

First of all, did they ever call you? (just curious) I'm glad you were able to get your ticket.

Now for some advice for D23 Expo:
1. We don't usually buy food at the Expo. It isn't any good and extremely overpriced. We usually take peanut butter crackers and some fruit to eat throughout the day instead and get a big dinner somewhere else when we leave.
2. Just keep checking daily for the information that they release about the Expo. Before you go, they will post the entire schedule of what the presentations will be, what extra exhibits, activities will be going on, etc. We usually sit down and write down what our priorities will be so when we get there, we have a game plan in place. You will need it because it can be overwhelming.
3. I know that they are letting you get in line the night before on Thursday and Friday. We aren't doing that, but will go extra early each morning instead. I need some sleep! If you show up at 8:00am, just know the lines will be EXTREMELY long!

I hope it is a great experience for you to be with so many Disney fans!

Figments Friend

First of all, did they ever call you? (just curious) I'm glad you were able to get your ticket.

Now for some advice for D23 Expo:
1. We don't usually buy food at the Expo. It isn't any good and extremely overpriced. We usually take peanut butter crackers and some fruit to eat throughout the day instead and get a big dinner somewhere else when we leave.
2. Just keep checking daily for the information that they release about the Expo. Before you go, they will post the entire schedule of what the presentations will be, what extra exhibits, activities will be going on, etc. We usually sit down and write down what our priorities will be so when we get there, we have a game plan in place. You will need it because it can be overwhelming.
3. I know that they are letting you get in line the night before on Thursday and Friday. We aren't doing that, but will go extra early each morning instead. I need some sleep! If you show up at 8:00am, just know the lines will be EXTREMELY long!

I hope it is a great experience for you to be with so many Disney fans!

Thanks again, especially for your tips!

No, they did not call me as i had replied to their message via e-mail.
I at that time had already let them know i had the issue resolved by someone from the organization who *reset* my account.
So it was a semi-happy ending.

Now, reading your tips above...you pretty much covered what i have been planning to do.
So i know now i am on the right track!
Yes, i will definitely be smuggling snacks in ( stuff em* in my socks, if i have to ! ) and save my money for a nice sit down meal later that evening.
Fruit snacks in pouches, granola bars, mixed nuts, and peanut butter crackers are great options that can be stashed anywhere and non-perishable.
An old WDW insulated Resort Mug may be handy to take along too...for water.

I totally agree with you regarding the need to have a real game plan in place as far as knowing your priorities ahead of time.
As mentioned earlier, there is really only four main attractions that are to be absolute *Must Dos* for me...so i will be focusing on those.
Those would be -
- ANY presentation that Disney Legend Tony Baxter will be doing - Priority #1 !
- Parks & Resorts presentation - Show me the money, TWDC....and make it GOOD.
-The WDI Pavilion display - yes, please.
- Disneyland at 60 Archive display - Oooh yes...

I am glad the Expo folks have announced a few *main events* already...at least the days they will be happening.
This helps a bit, but i don*t need the full schedule until the week of in my case.

Lines....yes....long, long, LONG lines...for everything.
This is probably the #1 thing i have read most about over the last few years and while researching for my first Expo.
Last Expo*s introduction of the *Stage Pass* system seems to have helped ease some of the lines for the main presentations, but i do still read a lot about the insane lines that form just to enter the Convention Center each morning.
I fear that THIS year will be even crazier, what with hundreds likely taking up the offer to *camp out * which is being allowed for the first time.
This will mean anyone showing up in the morning that is not aware of that is in for a nasty surprise if they were expecting to beat the crowds and get into the building early.
That will not be the case this time around.

Should be interesting....but i cannot help feeling that i am already at a disadvantage since i will not be *camping out*.
No way i would really be able to sleep, and i want to look semi-presentable the next day.

Last edited:

dkp

@Figments Friend I'm glad the ticket situation finally worked out. What a hassle. (Unfortunately, not that uncommon in my experience.) I hope the rest of your D23 Expo experience runs smoothly.

Looks like D23 is beginning to release the Expo schedule in an easier-to-read format. Not much for the Disney Parks, yet, but I'm sure updates are coming. The usual overlaps are having, so I'll need to make decisions.

Like others, I'm not going to wait in line overnight. Maybe at one point in my life but not now; I'll get up early instead. I'll also be bringing in my own snacks to avoid the hangries. It's probably worth mentioning, though, that in 2013 I ate couple of quick, tasty meals at the food trucks. I'll be happy if the trucks come back this year.

Figments Friend

@Figments Friend I'm glad the ticket situation finally worked out. What a hassle. (Unfortunately, not that uncommon in my experience.) I hope the rest of your D23 Expo experience runs smoothly.

Looks like D23 is beginning to release the Expo schedule in an easier-to-read format. Not much for the Disney Parks, yet, but I'm sure updates are coming. The usual overlaps are having, so I'll need to make decisions.

Like others, I'm not going to wait in line overnight. Maybe at one point in my life but not now; I'll get up early instead. I'll also be bringing in my own snacks to avoid the hangries. It's probably worth mentioning, though, that in 2013 I ate couple of quick, tasty meals at the food trucks. I'll be happy if the trucks come back this year.

Thank you dkp for the well wishes, and also a peek at the schedule so far via the link.
Much appreciated.
Seeing a couple of things i might be interested in checking out.

Yes, i am also kind of hoping the food trucks return....that looked like a nice alternative to the Convention Center options and a closer trek then to a off-site dining location.
For a sandwich or a snack, that makes more sense.
I'm with you though...will definitely be smuggling in some snacks regardless.

Anyone else where going...?
Care in voice your thoughts, options, overview of your own previous experiences at the Expo...?

Last edited:

GiveMeTheMusic

I know this is off topic, but I wonder if D23 might give a hint for Walt Disney World's 50th Anniversary?

Nope. Considering details of Disneyland's 60th were announced four months before the celebration began, it's likely we won't hear anything until late 2020 at the earliest.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom