Rumor: Details on Disney's Hollywood Adventure

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
There's no way the Wi-Fi could should even come close to $100M, let alone $1B. The resort up the road implemented Wi-Fi across both parks about the same time as MyMagic and works just as well, and I don't think the costs even merited a mention in the shareholder reports.

Oh it could have but most of that spend was probably in hiding the WiFi access points not the actual IT infrastructure.

I've done WiFi in 'Historically SIgnificant' buildings, with those projects it's AP Cost $1,000 wiring $500 per jack for cabling and $10-50,000 to hide it (custom woodwork and fixtures) this is PER WiFi router location

Brer Panther

I hope there will still be presence of Disney Animation in a way similar to for example Toontown and/or a toon studio with a gmr like attraction with disney classic movies, philharmagic with randomized system etc.

If they do that, maybe that could free up space in Fantasyland for a new dark ride.

If Pixar expands towards Animation Courtyard, what happens to the Animation Academy? Will it be relocated?

Probably not. I'd say they'll still have it at DisneyQuest, but...

SpaceMountain77

With all these potential rumors I think it might be time for the Mouse to implement a preview center or Blue Sky Cellar like they did in DCA so it clears up alleged ideas or potential gossip for the fans and public!

I really enjoyed my visits to the Blue Sky Cellar at DCA. Not only were scale models and pieces of concept art displayed, a video was presented in the neighboring room that described the refreshed storyline. One cast member was present in the room to discuss the displays (sometimes two on busier days). The atmosphere really fostered a nice area for discussion of DCA's future.

Whenever I visited, which used to be several times a week, I found that the possibilities presented in the Cellar helped to promote excitement and sustain anticipation.

SpaceMountain77

Remember those rumors about Phineas and Ferb going into the pavilion? I feel the same way about this as I felt about that: if Figment's just teaming up with the characters, it's fine. I just want him to be there. And not just in a quick cameo like the second version.

Sadly, given the characters and storyline of Inside Out, Figment would not be needed. I could easily imagine children questioning his presence and wondering why Bing Bong is purple instead of pink.

I am neither a shareholder nor an imagineer, but I do not understand why a reimagined Imagination pavilion, with Figment, cannot coexist with a reimagined Wonders of Life pavilion. Previously, imagination and mind were parsed and coexisted.

BrerJon

The properties in Japan and Singapore are more akin to Tokyo Disneyland. The Walt Disney Company does not pay for TDL's capital expenditures. Similarly, Universal does not pay for projects in Japan and Singapore.

Oh so when we hear Universal is spending $500M worldwide per year, that's actually between three parks, not five? Interesting. That makes the average of $166M vs WDW's $125M.

JimboJones123

I believe the original plan for D23 2009 was to only hint at New Fantasyland, but plans leaked (on MiceAge I think) in advance and they decided to go with the full reveal at the show.

Although MiceAge isn't what it was, there are enough fan sites and enough time between now and D23 that things could still leak somewhere, and what gets revealed could change accordingly.
Or they planned the leak.

JimboJones123

Okay, I'll have to go through this news sentence-by-sentence...

So, the name we're going to get it "Disney's Hollywood Adventure"? All right...

I'm not the biggest fan of Muppet*Vision, but getting rid of it seems a bit disrespectful considering it was Jim Henson's last project. Honestly, I hope that the news that every attraction except the five listed above will be kicked to the curb means they're getting rid of that awful Frozen show, too.

Indiana Jones Adventure coming to Walt Disney World? THANK YOU!

I assume part of that will assume the Toy Story Playland stuff?

Please tell me they're bringing Dreamfinder back. Though I'll settle for Figment teaming up with the cast of Inside Out (just as long as Figment is there, I'm happy).

So yeah. All in all, I'm satisfied with this news. Can't wait for the D23 Expo!
Disney Hollywood Adventure.

Not Disney's Hollywood Adventure

matt9112

I have no reason to suggest that an Indy attraction would be built, but they did just build a brand new ride based on Snow White & the Seven Dwarfs. And they are also building a bar based on the Indiana Jones IP. So, I don't buy the "it's an old franchise" reationale as to a reason why Dr. Jones won't be getting a new ride at WDW.

This....disney has showed that the IP is not dead..if it gets space in a park in anyone's guess.

BrerJon

WDI is the 'cost sink' it's the division which is used to make money disappear

If it's the invoices from WDI that are to blame for these hugely inflated budgets, why does the other Creative company not suffer those problems, I wonder?

Is there some 'secret sauce' of budget management that WDI could poach, perhaps? Imagine if WDI could learn to create attractions with the same quality and efficiency for the same money... they'd clean up.

matt9112

What? Disney does this too, with Disneyland Paris, Tokyo, etc. It's always the name of the first park, and that makes sense. Hollywood Adventure is just a lazy name imo.

I think they are stuck with the hollywood/studio like name.

Look at the entrance and sunset all roaring 20s is it? I'm ok with Hollywood adventure. Who gives a crap if they can fix what's inside? Do we picket outside epcot because it was never a real epcot?

ParentsOf4

Oh so when we hear Universal is spending $500M worldwide per year, that's actually between three parks, not five? Interesting. That makes the average of $166M vs WDW's $125M.
The cited article in philly.com was posted on March 10, 2014. Instead of focusing on the numbers from that article, let's look at the actual 2014 numbers reported by Universal and Disney.

In 2014, Universal spent $671M on capital expenditures in Orlando and Hollywood. With depreciation at $273M, this means that Universal theoretically spent $398M on growth initiatives at the two sites.

In 2014, Disney spent $1,184M on domestic capital expenditures primarily in Orlando and Anaheim. With depreciation at $1,117M, this means that Disney theoretically spent $67M on growth initiatives at the two sites.

The reality is that most modern amusement park companies underfund maintenance capex in order to control costs, which is why they feel increasingly run down as they age. Universal probably spent closer to $450M ($150M per domestic park) while Disney probably spent closer to $150M ($25M per domestic park) on growth initiatives.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
I'm glad I'm going to this film camp at WDW next week.. Because we'll be going to EPCOT and HS.. I'll get go get to see Muppets, Animation, Little Mermaid, BATB and all these things before it closes! Gonna bring my handy dandy video camera! ^-^

Provocateur, Rancanteur, Plaisanter, du Jour
Universal has five parks worldwide, Walt Disney World has four parks, so it's not that a ridiculous comparison.

If you adjust for a per park amount, each Universal park gets $100M while each Disney park gets $125M, so it's more but not *that much* more, especially considering Disney couldn't even build a spinner for that extra $25M with the amount things cost there.

For purposes of clarity, Universal operates 3 stateside parks. In the SEC filings, the CAPEX is for those 3 parks.

*1023*

ETA: OOOPS.... @ParentsOf4 already got there....

HauntedMansionFLA

Iger says the new Star Wars movies will be the focus in the parks - rumor has it Skellig Michael Island will be a major focus. Will WDW get a land similar to Avatar?
image.jpg

BrerJon

Universal probably spent closer to $450M ($150M per domestic park) while Disney probably spent closer to $150M ($25M per domestic park) on growth initiatives.

If Uni has already been spending $150M per park, and Disney $25M, how will those figures be affected by the rumoured $500M per year extra for WDW? Does it mean that in the future we can expect spending to be identical, ie $150M per park for both companies?

BrerJon

So let's see how this expansion money stacks up. Assuming maintenance and regular investment is done at the same rate across all resorts, and only looking at expansion rumours...

So Disney has 6 domestic parks, with 3B earmarked for WDW, and an extra 1B for Disneyland, spread over 6 years, so that averages 667M per year, or 111M per park.

Universal has three parks, and over that same six year timeframe are said to be investing 500M per year, so 166M per park.

So our real figure for after the big unannounced expansion comes to growth investment of $166M per Universal park per year, and $111M per Disney park, or am I missing something obvious?

CaptainAmerica

I dunno what you want of the creatives. They're busting their butts on great, new projects. Unfortunately, these BEAN counters slash the budget til the project is canned, or at least neutered.
Sometimes, yes. But they've also had projects with VERY workable budgets that they've blown on ridiculous expenditures. You hear stories about Joe Rohde's expense reports when when were doing EE...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom