Trip Report I found us a table at Ohana, let's go back to Disney World

I visited WDW during Food & Wine last year and I realized I never finished editing my photos. What better way to motivate myself than to write a trip report?

Who am ? I'm gsrjedi, it should say so next to this post. There's a picture attached & everything. Feel free to read my previous trip reports at the following links: My first trip report: A visit to Cars Land, The Trip Report that was 23 years in the making, & We're going to DLP, We're not?, We Are?, OK!

If you don't have hours of free-time to read about my past adventures, let me introduce the cast of characters for this trip.

gsrjedi (me) - your fantastic scribe; despite living in Arizona my whole life, my earliest Disney memories are from my first trip back in 1989

Moms (that should be self-explanatory) - my mother; she tends to downplay her Disney love, but she's been more open about her love of the Parks recently

====================================================
We live in AZ, frequently visit DLR, & were just in the World in 2012. What brought us back so soon? Two things, we really loved WDW; and on that trip Moms learned of Ohana and was sad we couldn't get a table then. So in July of '14, I was checking out the My Disney Experience app and found a table at Ohana during Food & Wine. We already had an itch to go back, plus I love food! Plus, this time I had to visit (looks around the room for Disney executives), Universal, to check out Diagon Alley.

This trip had one interesting wrinkle. For a whole host of reasons, of which I was never fully clear on, we would be staying in 4 hotels this trips. We'd certainly be seeing a lot more of the resort this time.

gsrjedi

Original Poster
Day 4 - 11/7/2014: Part 13 - It's Gonna Be Hard to Top Riverside

Today we would be leaving Port Orleans Riverside and staying at our 3rd hotel. We packed up our stuff and checked out. Before we left though, I took some more photos.

DSC04719 by Michael, on Flickr
DSC04725 by Michael, on Flickr

DSC04729 by Michael, on Flickr
DSC04730-Edit by Michael, on Flickr
DSC04731 by Michael, on Flickr

DSC04733_HDR by Michael, on Flickr
DSC04736_HDR by Michael, on Flickr

Goodbye Riverside we will miss you. We decided to eat breakfast for once and since we had a car we left Disney property. We had seen a Waffle House earlier so we went there. The waffles are good, the hash browns are good; I really like Waffle House. We planned to go to Animal Kingdom today, but after breakfast we decided to go see if our room was ready...

I have to continue editing photos from this point on.

FlaggNL

Love all the Riverside pics! We have to wait for October 2016 for experiencing Riverside ourselves, but we will explore French Quarter in October this year :)

gsrjedi

Original Poster
Love all the Riverside pics! We have to wait for October 2016 for experiencing Riverside ourselves, but we will explore French Quarter in October this year :)

I wish we had more time at Riverside, I really wanted to hop on the boat to French Quarter & check it out as well.

<3 Riverside! Great photos.

Oh man!! What a teaser!! Thanks for the additional Riverside pics :D

I agree with @Zipitidoda that was quite the teaser! hehe Great pictures though. I have really enjoyed your report so far, looking forward to the rest.

Your pictures are awesome!:D

Thanks everybody!

gsrjedi

Original Poster
Day 4 - 11/7/2014: Part 14 - Umm, There's A Giraffe, Uh Outside of Our Room

Wanting to see if our room was ready, we drove to Animal Kingdom Lodge. That main lobby makes such a great first impression. Wow. We checked in; if you remember I had some problems with my magic band and at Riverside they had deleted one of my accounts and resynced my information to fix it. Apparently deleting that account, deleted me from this hotel reservation. So we spent some time at this concierge desk to get things sorted. It took another hour but the guy at the desk said everything should be fine and would be okay for our next hotel as well. Just give it about 15 minutes for the magic band to sync before I can use it for this room key. I'd have to take another trip to the concierge to get it working properly. Do not have multiple Disney accounts.
DSC04740_HDR by Michael, on Flickr - Animal Kingdom Lodge lobby
DSC04744 by Michael, on Flickr
DSC04745 by Michael, on Flickr
DSC04746 by Michael, on Flickr
DSC04747 by Michael, on Flickr

Our room was quite the trek from the lobby, coupled with the magic band fiasco things were not looking well for a repeat stay here. We got to the room and stepped out on our little balcony to see giraffes and other animals walking around. We had gotten a Savanah view room. The room was really nice, but there were freaking giraffes outside! Any previous issues we had had faded from our minds that quickly.
DSC04750 by Michael, on Flickr
DSC04753 by Michael, on Flickr
DSC04754 by Michael, on Flickr
DSC04757 by Michael, on Flickr
DSC04760 by Michael, on Flickr

Moms stayed in the room animal watching while I got my magic band situation sorted. After a brief rest we finally made our way to Animal Kingdom. Fastpass+ allowed me to move around our fastpasses so we hadn't missed out on anything with the hotel delay. We hurried through the Oasis and headed straight for Asia.
DSC04764_HDR by Michael, on Flickr
DSC04767_HDR by Michael, on Flickr
DSC04770 by Michael, on Flickr

Expedition Everest is one of my favorite Disney rides. I'd have to say it's in my top 5 at least. That was the first fastpass we had. Once again Moms waited while I rode.
DSC04775 by Michael, on Flickr

DSC04778 by Michael, on Flickr

I really love this ride.

gsrjedi

Original Poster
Day 4 - 11/7/2014: Part 15 - We're Going On A Safari

I always come off a ride on Everest with a huge smile on my face. The wait was only about 15 minutes so Moms said I might as well ride it again and get my fill. This time I went in the standby queue to take in all those glorious details. The wait went by quickly and I was on again.
DSC04796 by Michael, on Flickr
DSC04797 by Michael, on Flickr
DSC04800 by Michael, on Flickr
DSC04807 by Michael, on Flickr

Disco Yeti and all, I still love it. Our next fastpasses were for Kilimanjaro Safari for 3:00, but I was able to move them up with the My Disney Experience App. We started heading to Africa and I was of course distracted by the gibbons (that's what I remember the lady told me they were) who were playing around. I caught up to Moms and eventually we entered Africa.
DSC04815 by Michael, on Flickr
DSC04821 by Michael, on Flickr

We really liked Kilimanjaro Safari on our last trip so we were really looking forward to this. Moms especially as this is one of the few rides she actually does. As we were getting on the ride I popped on my zoom lens which I brought primarily for this. We ended up with a whole row to ourselves which was nice. Most of the animals seemed more active than our last trip. The lion was sleeping closer to the edge and you could see more of her. I'd classify it as a successful safari trip.
DSC04836 by Michael, on Flickr
DSC04840 by Michael, on Flickr

DSC04858 by Michael, on Flickr
DSC04860 by Michael, on Flickr

DSC04879 by Michael, on Flickr
DSC04889 by Michael, on Flickr - still sleeping, but at least visible
DSC04897 by Michael, on Flickr - I just liked this flower I saw after we got off

Up next, we get adventurous for dinner

gsrjedi

Original Poster
Day 4 - 11/7/2014: Part 16 - ZEBRA DOMES!

We enjoyed our safari trip and checked out some of the stores in Africa for a bit. A band was playing in the middle of the area so we stopped and listened for a bit. One of the items I wanted to try was a Dole Whip with rum, so I enjoyed that with the music.
IMG_0178 by Michael, on Flickr
DSC04898 by Michael, on Flickr
DSC04900 by Michael, on Flickr

With that we, started making our way out of the park. We stopped in some stores on the way out and Moms made a few purchases. We headed back to the hotel for a break before our ADR at Boma.
DSC04905_HDR_1 by Michael, on Flickr
DSC04917 by Michael, on Flickr
DSC04918_HDR by Michael, on Flickr

Boma was a place I really wanted to try. Moms was a little apprehensive wondering what kind of food it would be. We were seated right about the time of our ADR. The line for meats was fairly long when we first sat down. After getting our drink order, the line had shortened so we got in before it got too long again. We ended up trying a large selection of foods and like almost everything. Especially the steak with the Boma mustard. So good. On my 4th trip I decided to give some deserts a try. I had heard about Zebra Domes so I knew they had to be tried. You can probably tell by the title of this part, but we loved the Zebra Domes. I now know for next time to save room for more domes.
DSC04921 by Michael, on Flickr - Boma
DSC04924 by Michael, on Flickr

DSC04927 by Michael, on Flickr - Moms at least tried to eat something healthy
DSC04928 by Michael, on Flickr
DSC04930 by Michael, on Flickr - Zebra Domes!

We were stuffed but so satisfied with our dinner. We walked around the resort for a while just checking everything out. Went by the pool to the night vision viewing area. Animal Kingdom Lodge offers night vision goggle viewing at night. It was awesome using the goggles and seeing some animals in what was basically pitch black. After getting our fill of pictures we headed back to the room to call it a day.

DSC04945_HDR by Michael, on Flickr
DSC04951 by Michael, on Flickr

acrab3t

Loving your TR. It looks like your room in AKL is near to where I stayed. We were surprised by an upgraded savanna view too. It was a long walk from the lobby but so worth the view. Best part of coming " home"every night was that scent in the lobby and that view! Boma was also fantastic. It is fun to try something different than the standard burgers and fries.

gsrjedi

Original Poster
Day 5 - 11/8/2014: Part 17 - The Spin Cycle

Moms woke up this morning not feeling too good. She decided she was going to stay in the room while I went off. I don't remember our original plans for today, but since I would be alone I changed them to a morning back at Animal Kingdom to finally ride Dinosaur. I was able to get some fastpass+ set up that morning. Being alone, I also took the bus instead of driving. I think I waited about 10-15 minutes for a bus.

I entered the park and spent some timing checking out the animals in the Oasis before heading to Dinoland U.S.A.
DSC04955-Edit by Michael, on Flickr
DSC04961 by Michael, on Flickr
DSC04963 by Michael, on Flickr
DSC04970_HDR by Michael, on Flickr

On our last trip, I didn't get a chance to make it over to Dinoland U.S.A. and we still didn't get over here yesterday; it was my first stop of the day. My fastpass+ for Dinosaur was about an hour away. Primeval Whirl had like a 5 minute wait so I got on that. Primeval Whirl's coaster style is very similar to Goofy's Sky School at California Adventure, except the vehicles spin occasionally and more importantly actually have legroom. I got a vehicle to myself and set off. It was such a blast. I was actually LOLing. I use to love Goofy's Sky School when it was Mulholland Madnes, but now that I'm bigger (in every direction) the vehicles are a tight fit and that kills all my enjoyment. To be comfortable on a similar ride with the spinning on top of that; Primeval Whirl has a big surprise for me.
IMG_0200 by Michael, on Flickr - I loved this shirt
DSC04975 by Michael, on Flickr - I know he's supposed to be friendly looking, but this guy looks like he wants to eat some guests
DSC04973 by Michael, on Flickr
DSC04980 by Michael, on Flickr
DSC04983 by Michael, on Flickr
DSC04986 by Michael, on Flickr - this does not look comfortable for anybody involved

DSC04992 by Michael, on Flickr - I like that to give it that pop-up carnival look, Disney made this area into a parking lot as part of their theming

After the pleasant surprise of Primeval Whirl, I still had some time to kill, so I decided to ride TriceraTops Spin. What can you really say about a Dumbo clone?
DSC04994 by Michael, on Flickr
DSC04997 by Michael, on Flickr
DSC04999 by Michael, on Flickr

I love corny jokes, so the
DSC05006 by Michael, on Flickr
DSC05007 by Michael, on Flickr

gsrjedi

Original Poster
Killer report. Also, Disney should hire you to take photos of their everything. ;)

Thank you. Disney HR people, listen to this person.

Loving your TR. It looks like your room in AKL is near to where I stayed. We were surprised by an upgraded savanna view too. It was a long walk from the lobby but so worth the view. Best part of coming " home"every night was that scent in the lobby and that view! Boma was also fantastic. It is fun to try something different than the standard burgers and fries.

Definitely, we're already weighing the options if we stay there again if we want to pay for a Savanna room or hope for an upgrade.

PineapplePrincess

I never noticed the parking lot lines in Dino Land. I'll have to point them out to my family in a couple weeks....they'll think I'm so clever!
Still enjoying your report!

gsrjedi

Original Poster
Day 5 - 11/8/2014: Part 18 - Yak Attack in the Jungle Trek

My fastpass+ time for Dinosaur had arrived, so that's where I went next. Dinosaur uses the same ride system as Indiana Jones Adventure in Disneyland, which is one of my favorites. Dinosaur does not use the system as well. I'd ride it again, but I don't think I'd wait a long time for it. I don't know if that's how it's always been, but it was super dark in there and hard to see stuff. The part where the meteor strikes was pitch black with some sound effects and then just surprised at the photo spot. Don't get me started on their plan to bring a dinosaur back at the exact moment the meteor strikes. You've built a time machine, it was all good just a week ago.
DSC05009 by Michael, on Flickr
DSC05010 by Michael, on Flickr - this dinosaur looks like someone just said something offensive to him
DSC05012 by Michael, on Flickr
- I'm in the back looking confused
DSC05026_HDR by Michael, on Flickr

I got off the ride like what was that? Originally I had a fastpass+ for Primeval Whirl at 11, but I rode it earlier since there was no wait. I loved it so much I considered waiting around until 11 to ride it again. Luckily I didn't have to, I was able to move my fastpass+ up to about 5 minutes away. Still couldn't get a closer time for Everest though. My ride on Primeval Whirl was still fun. I wasn't alone this time; I was in a vehicle with some other Star Wars fans. Episode VII's title had just been announced that morning and I was able to break the news to them. We chatted about Star Wars for a bit as the ride was ending.
- I had to take a picture because that was the first time I've ever gotten a red card.

While all of this was going on Mom's was back at AKL enjoying the animals in the Savanna

My Everest fastpass+ wasn't for a couple hours but I figured I'd go by there since I was headed to Maharajah Jungle Trek. The cast member said single rider was only about 15 minutes so I hopped in line. I rode with a lady who was by herself. She had never ridden it before and she was a little nervous, but was trying to see if her son could handle it. I tried to keep her informed as to what was coming up. She seemed to enjoy it, and I know I definitely loved it. The single rider line was now like 30 minutes. I contemplated riding again, but decided not to. Goodbye for now Expedition Everest, until we meet again.
DSC05033_HDR by Michael, on Flickr
IMG_0208 by Michael, on Flickr

I made my way to Maharajah Jungle Trek to see the animals. The animals weren't very active this time and I really didn't see much. I did go in the bird sanctuary, which we skipped last time. Those birdhouses in there are incredible. Some of those birds, man nature you cray.
DSC05058 by Michael, on Flickr
DSC05059 by Michael, on Flickr
DSC05062 by Michael, on Flickr
DSC05064 by Michael, on Flickr
DSC05068 by Michael, on Flickr
DSC05067 by Michael, on Flickr

Moms went by the Mara to get some lunch. If you're thinking poor Moms stuck in the room. While she was at the Mara she also purchased a pack of Zebra Domes from their to-go cooler. She bought them for us to share, but apparently I took too long to get back.
- Mom's lunch

After my somewhat disappoint trek through the jungle, I was passing by a food stand that had an item I was interested in. The Yak Attack. Mango daiquiri, Bacardi light rum, & wildberry flavors make for an awesome drink.
DSC05072 by Michael, on Flickr
DSC05073 by Michael, on Flickr - Yak Attack
DSC05075 by Michael, on Flickr

I drank the Yak Attack as I headed to Africa.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom