GoPro tips and tricks for WDW

catmom46

Head or chest for walking the park, wrist or chest mount for rides.

Batteries, as mentioned, are a must. The Black I have sucks them up. Probably worth investing in an extra charger as well for the hotel room.

Also, invest in a few spare SD cards if you plan to be taking a lot of footage. The files can get HUGE. Sandisk Extremes are a good choice, or Sandisk Extreme Plus (The best, imho...but they are pricey).

Here's one I did with the head mount on the Disney Fantasy.

Thanks for the tip! Just ordered both chest and wrist mounts from Amazon - $52.44 for both and free one-day delivery, since we leave on Monday. :D

WDW_Firefighter

Original Poster
I was also wondering about what they would consider a "selfie stick". I have a handle for my GoPro that's maybe 6"-8" long, surely they wouldn't care about that. I hate ignorant and inconsiderate people ruined it for everyone. As a previous poster said, all I want is to get good, semi-stable shots of my kids at different angles.

NowInc

I was also wondering about what they would consider a "selfie stick". I have a handle for my GoPro that's maybe 6"-8" long, surely they wouldn't care about that. I hate ignorant and inconsiderate people ruined it for everyone. As a previous poster said, all I want is to get good, semi-stable shots of my kids at different angles.

That is absolutely considered a "selfie stick" by their definition (6" or longer in length with a camera at the end).

WDW_Firefighter

Original Poster
That is absolutely considered a "selfie stick" by their definition (6" or longer in length with a camera at the end).

Thanks for the info. Is it 6" with the camera attached or without a camera attached? I just measured my handle with the mount, and it's 5" without the GoPro, but will certainly be over 6" with the GoPro mounted on the end.

Jahona

How did it go using the G4 at the park?

I just got back Tuesday night. I'll post footage this week once I cut and edit. For the most part the G4 worked like a charm. The video still has a slight bounce when walking but on rides it smoothed out the motion, except when I was also being jostled around.

As for my experience with security. I really only had one issue early morning at Magic Kingdom. This was about a week into my trip and the bag check officer didn't know what he was looking at, he seemed very confused by a camera on a stick that moves. He had me go ask another security guard about it. The other security guard was fairly rude and kept asking does it extend. I pointed it out several times and even handed the guard the G4 to prove that it doesn't extend. I ended up telling him to either let me in to get to my breakfast reservation or call his manager over. He reluctantly let me through after that. I was usually asked on every ride as I entered if it extended and most people were mesmerized by it once they saw what it could do.

Jahona

GoPro grip sticks are allowed into the parks. It's as long as they don't extend. The GoPro Handler and the GoPole Grenade are both acceptable into the parks. As I mentioned in my post above I really only had one issue with my G4 which is 9 inches in length.

WDW_Firefighter

Original Poster
GoPro grip sticks are allowed into the parks. It's as long as they don't extend. The GoPro Handler and the GoPole Grenade are both acceptable into the parks. As I mentioned in my post above I really only had one issue with my G4 which is 9 inches in length.

Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Jahona

I should also mention that I shot this at 1080p @ 60 frames per second. The gimbal's batteries seemed to last the day but the Hero 4 Black eats battery and cards. I would dump my footage for the day onto a 1tb hard drive I brought with me. I didn't touch up the footage at all in post accept for Peter Pans flight to brighten the scene and try to reduce some of the noise. The GoPro really doesn't do well in dark rides were a good consumer camcorder with a larger sensor for low light or even infrared would be preferable. Outside the GoPro shines though and I would highly suggest shooting at 60fps for rides. High frame rate may not look great in cinemas as it does reduce motion blur, but for fast movement on rides it really gives you a crisp image on twists and turns.

WDW_Firefighter

Original Poster
This thread may be dead, but I have heard that people have been using these https://shop.gopole.com/products/grenade-grip and security has been ok with it. They ask if it extends, which is doesn't, then let you in.
I've read that also. I decided to purchase http://www.amazon.com/Smatree®-Alum...8&qid=1441806936&sr=8-1&keywords=smatree+grip instead. Hoping this one is allowed also, it doesn't extend, but it's a hair longer than the grenade grip. It seemed better quality (aluminum over plastic) and is heavier, which should mean better stabalization, I'm hoping.

catmom46

This thread may be dead, but I have heard that people have been using these https://shop.gopole.com/products/grenade-grip and security has been ok with it. They ask if it extends, which is doesn't, then let you in.

I've read that also. I decided to purchase http://www.amazon.com/Smatree®-Aluminum-Handle-Mount-Cameras/dp/B00ESX8IFY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1441806936&sr=8-1&keywords=smatree+grip instead. Hoping this one is allowed also, it doesn't extend, but it's a hair longer than the grenade grip. It seemed better quality (aluminum over plastic) and is heavier, which should mean better stabalization, I'm hoping.

We were just there in July and able to bring in a hand grip similar to these. If security does ask you about it, all you have to do is show them it doesn't extend and you're good.

Jahona

Yes security is ok with just a grip as it doesn't extend. The grip doesn't provide much more extension than your arms reach.

As for that mouth grip. That would seem to get uncomfortable really fast.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom