Gatorland?

Daniel Johnson

Original Poster
Anyone been? Have any opinions? We got free tickets from the wife's work. I love gators, but, usually in a natural setting...thanks for any comments!

Daniel Johnson

Original Poster
Well the price is right. :D
That's kinda what we thought. I mean, it was cool, alligators upon alligators. Lots of good pictures..but that was about it. We have checked it off the list of things to see in Orlando. If you want to see aligators in the wild, go find the apopka nature drive...it was really awesome, and alot of alligators, some feet from the car!

71jason

Really fun place to spend a half-day or so. The shows are cheesy but still pack a visceral thrill in seeing a gator jump up and eat a chicken. And the natures trails make you feel like you've left Greater Disney World and somehow traveled back to old Florida, even if you're never more than a mile away from 192. One of the more relaxing experiences in the area.

DABIGCHEEZ

That's kinda what we thought. I mean, it was cool, alligators upon alligators. Lots of good pictures..but that was about it. We have checked it off the list of things to see in Orlando. If you want to see aligators in the wild, go find the apopka nature drive...it was really awesome, and alot of alligators, some feet from the car!

No need for that... we have seen plenty of gators right on property. :) However, we always take a road trip... Merritt Island NWR, Viera Wetlands, Disney's Wilderness Preserve (not actually on property) and Orlando Wetlands among other places. Actually thinking of Apopka Wildlife drive for next time... I hear they have made lots of improvements there.

71jason

No need for that... we have seen plenty of gators right on property. :) However, we always take a road trip... Merritt Island NWR, Viera Wetlands, Disney's Wilderness Preserve (not actually on property) and Orlando Wetlands among other places. Actually thinking of Apopka Wildlife drive for next time... I hear they have made lots of improvements there.

You get far closer to the gators at Gatorland than I'd ever think about doing in the wild. I've been on the boardwalk maybe 6 feet away from a giant bull gator. Close enough to wonder if the illusion of safety those wooden slats provide is really enough for me. Plus for like $10 you can take a photo literally sitting on a live gator, rub its skin and everything. The place goes beyond your average zoo.

DABIGCHEEZ

You get far closer to the gators at Gatorland than I'd ever think about doing in the wild. I've been on the boardwalk maybe 6 feet away from a giant bull gator. Close enough to wonder if the illusion of safety those wooden slats provide is really enough for me. Plus for like $10 you can take a photo literally sitting on a live gator, rub its skin and everything. The place goes beyond your average zoo.

Been to Gatorland 4 times(twice with the kids and twice prior) over the last 25 years... but don't know if we really need to go back again. If I was really into Ziplines... maybe. I will say I did enjoy the close up views of the Heron and Egret rookeries though.

Been close to some BIG gators around Florida...maybe not standing on a boardwalk above them. However when you are walking on the dike looking down about 10 feet at a very large fella sunning on the bank(at Ding Darling NWR) or a big guy crosses the dike from one pond to another about 20 feet ahead of you(Orlando Wetlands)...that is close enough! My kids have held gators at Mini Golf places down there as well.

Last edited:

Mouse_Trap

That reminds me of stopping at a gas station in the Everglades a couple of years ago....there was a guy selling photos with you holding baby gator ($5 iirc).

I was quite surprised that was legal to be honest. I like to see the reptiles and preferably in a natural habitat, but have never wanted to touch let alone hold one.

The fact that it is one of Central Florida's original attractions, long before Disney arrived, is good enough an excuse to visit.
It's a symbol of America recovering from WWII and has that old charm still this day.
In the shadow of the big parks, Gatorland just can't compete, but if you go there in the right frame of mind, it is probably one of the most memorable days of an Orlando vacation.
If time is tight in your itinerary, then leave it until your next visit, but definitely worth squeezing in at some point, especially mixed in with a half day by the pool.
For film fans, it was used in a shoot for the 1984 movie Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom.

Bairstow

The fact that it is one of Central Florida's original attractions, long before Disney arrived, is good enough an excuse to visit.
It's a symbol of America recovering from WWII and has that old charm still this day.
In the shadow of the big parks, Gatorland just can't compete, but if you go there in the right frame of mind, it is probably one of the most memorable days of an Orlando vacation.
If time is tight in your itinerary, then leave it until your next visit, but definitely worth squeezing in at some point, especially mixed in with a half day by the pool.
For film fans, it was used in a shoot for the 1984 movie Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom.

SparklinDiamond

I would say if you have free tickets to definitely go and check it out. It';s one of those places which is great to visit once or twice. I went once in 1998 when I was 6 and again in 2013. It has had lots of updates since then due to a fire that happened, but it is really cool. There is the ziplining which costs extra but looks amazing! The gators are everywhere and watching the men feed them was exhilarating. The shows were pretty awesome too, the gator wrestler was amazing! And I especially enjoyed the show with all the creepy crawlies and desperately threw my arm up in the air to be a volunteer to hold the snake or tarantula. But sadly he picked people who didn't want to be picked haha. But definitely worth a visit for free!

We loved Gatorland--very nicely laid out, very clean, rather mellow except for the shows, which are certainly goofy and corny but in a good way. With jumpin' gators, you really can't go wrong.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom