Major 2015 Pirates of the Caribbean Refurbishment Watch/Rumor.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I expect WDW has no spares on the shelf for the effects, Looks good at Bonus time not so great for the guests as weeks go by while items are sourced. It's also penny wise pound foolish because if they ordered say 2-3 years worth of spares they would cost less. But the hit would be in that quarter so the pesky bonus thing comes up again...

Goofyernmost

I expect WDW has no spares on the shelf for the effects, Looks good at Bonus time not so great for the guests as weeks go by while items are sourced. It's also penny wise pound foolish because if they ordered say 2-3 years worth of spares they would cost less. But the hit would be in that quarter so the pesky bonus thing comes up again...
Nice speculation, but, I doubt that is what happens. Certain items are kept in stock, but, not everything and no viable company would do that. Even the military doesn't stock every single item at every single installation. They have storehouses sometimes half a globe away and they locally stock only the absolute essential things to keep in operation. Even some of the essential stuff has to be ordered but because of redundancy, size, cost and shelf life, they can get along without it for a little while. If they have more then one essential system overlapping each other, the others take over the workload. The fluff can wait a few days. Surely we aren't expected to think that a theme park cannot survive a few days when it has a minor issue (or even a major one). The military depends on stuff to defend the country, yet, can find away to keep going in spite of problems.

I can tell you this, if Disney were to give me the cash equivalent of the value of the items that they have available for repairs, on site, I would be a very rich man. I'd bet anything on it.

Victor Kelly

Let us say, for arguement sake, that Disney does have a small store of parts to draw from. Do they have the technicians to repair said issues, be they AA or other effects? Anyone that has sense knows that Disney most likely has warehouses off property in plain old business parks with parts, etc. Probably nothing like a UPS or Home Depot distribution center.

Provocateur, Rancanteur, Plaisanter, du Jour
Keeping up with maintenance of an attraction --- The recipe.....!

It boils down to 2 things....
People and Time...

If you have more people, it takes less time....
If you have less people, it takes more time...

The only other factor that contributes to the reduction (see what I did there?)... Technical Know How....

*1023*

Last edited:

xstech25

To say that everything was working 100% of the time and the place was perfect back in some yesteryear is just crazy and in no way true. It's been pretty well documented Walt told Bill Evans (the landscaping guy) to go put latin tags on the weeds so people think they are supposed to be there. Obviously Walt was a visionary and intensely detail focused but to say compromises were never made is just denial.

Last edited:

FigmentsFangirl

To say that everything was working 100% of the time and the place was perfect back in some yesteryear is just crazy and in no way true. It's been pretty well documented Walt told Bill Evans (the landscaping guy) to go put latin tags on the weeds so people think they are supposed to be there. Obviously Walt was a visionary and intensely detail focused but to say compromises were never made is just denial.

The exact quote of what Walt said was "What do you mean you can't pull them all uyp in time ? Ok fine, go put some latin tags around in that area to make it look like it belongs" It stuck apparently, find a dandilion anywhere in the parks and its no doubt got a fake latin nameplate for it!

lazyboy97o

Except that the strategy going forward was not to just put fake name tags out and never do anything else with the landscaping.

Monoblanco13

Went on Pirates last night mostly everything was working on the ride from the smoke in the
battle scene which I never saw before and the Blackbeard projection was working. The only major flaw was the drop like *** the whole boat got drenched by a wave of water which had to be at least 40 degree water. You know it's bad when the whole boat has an inch of water in it.

I had this same experience when I went to 24 HR on Friday, it was also 1 or 2 am. I was very glad to see all if not most the effects working. I sat in the front and got my knees down wet though.

Monorail_Red_77

I had this same experience when I went to 24 HR on Friday, it was also 1 or 2 am. I was very glad to see all if not most the effects working. I sat in the front and got my knees down wet though.
I was in the front row also on Friday night/sat morning for 24 hrs. I usually get seated in the back section when I ride. This time up front I was splashed from the knees downward. It was ironic, but, I was more wet from pirates than from Splash Mountain that I came off about 20 minutes earlier. On Splash, only my face was sprayed with water a bit. On Splash I was seated towards the back.

P_Radden

@marni1971 Any chances of new animatronics replacing the older ones? I have only ridden it once in in the last 17 years, but we noticed the Jack Sparrow animatronic at the end of the ride looked considerably newer and had better motions than most of the other animatronic characters along the ride.

MerlinTheGoat

The most glaring problems for me have been the poor quality sound and the boats taking on water at the drop. Hoping both are addressed. But considering the possibility of new animatronics, one would certainly think they're doing some work on the sound and drop (since AA's would probably not be the first priority in a refurb like this).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom