Star Wars Day at Sea roll call.

flynnibus

Premium Member
It's a neat idea, but one of the advantages of the cruise is not everyone is in the same place! I'd be worried with these kind of events the demand would far exceed supply and you'll be in the 'get there an hour ahead of time and wait in line situation'. You already need to get there early for popular M&Gs.. and you can easily get blocked out from events happening in the clubs section. The Pirate Deck party is a good example of having a large portion of the boat interested in one topic at the same time and I don't even do the deck party anymore because it's too much commotion/etc.

I look forward to hearing your TR @Master Yoda :)

I think it would be a fun gag to have on a normal cruise.. where the empire 'boards your ship' and darth vader makes an appearance, etc.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Original Poster
It's a neat idea, but one of the advantages of the cruise is not everyone is in the same place! I'd be worried with these kind of events the demand would far exceed supply and you'll be in the 'get there an hour ahead of time and wait in line situation'. You already need to get there early for popular M&Gs.. and you can easily get blocked out from events happening in the clubs section. The Pirate Deck party is a good example of having a large portion of the boat interested in one topic at the same time and I don't even do the deck party anymore because it's too much commotion/etc.

I look forward to hearing your TR @Master Yoda :)

I think it would be a fun gag to have on a normal cruise.. where the empire 'boards your ship' and darth vader makes an appearance, etc.
The situation you described is one reason that I am really glad that there will be several cruises with a Star Wars day prior to my sailing. Not only should Disney be able to fine tune the logistics, but I should be able to develop a plan based on what others experience.

My cruise also happens to line up with a spring break week which should theoretically increase the number of families there just because of the timing and not necessarily because of the Star Wars events.

tk924

I know exactly what you mean. We did our first ever cruise on the Dream last September. We went up early to get a good spot to view the show/fireworks and it was just like sitting and waiting for a Disney parade. People and unattended children want to basically sit in your lap at the last second right before things get started. While we enjoyed the fireworks at sea, we've done it once and we'll never do it again.
I too am hoping that Star Wars at Sea gets popular enough that they offer it on the shorter cruises as well. I'd be in for a SW themed dinner and SW M&Gs on a short, Bahamian Disney Cruise.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I know exactly what you mean. We did our first ever cruise on the Dream last September. We went up early to get a good spot to view the show/fireworks and it was just like sitting and waiting for a Disney parade. People and unattended children want to basically sit in your lap at the last second right before things get started. While we enjoyed the fireworks at sea, we've done it once and we'll never do it again.
I too am hoping that Star Wars at Sea gets popular enough that they offer it on the shorter cruises as well. I'd be in for a SW themed dinner and SW M&Gs on a short, Bahamian Disney Cruise.

Pick a spot up near the waves bar above the adult pool... still great fireworks viewing and free from the pandemonium back above the main pools :) I can do without the pirate show, and if you just want to relax and take in that little extra with the fireworks... the adult area hits the spot.

I get people want the package on the itineraries they like.. but I think something like this program is way overkill for the already crowded 3/4 day cruises. Maybe get some M&Gs in the character rotation.. but beyond that? Plus, if the 3/4 days are already packed, kind of defeats the marketing value. And people's personal vacation time issues aside, I would always recommend the 7 days over the shorter cruises. After going 7, you'll never want to go back to the shorter ones. The added days at sea are soo worth it.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Original Poster
After going 7, you'll never want to go back to the shorter ones. The added days at sea are soo worth it.
That is what I am hoping.

We have done both a 3 and 4 day cruise and both were just too short. By the time you were really getting into your vacation you were being ushered off the ship. We also did not have any time tor really get into what the ship had to offer.

This 7 day cruise we have coming up in 2016 has been a dream of ours for about 12 years.

DisSplash

The crowds are one of the reasons we want our extended verandah! It's so nice to get away from all the hubbub and just hang out on that space and watch the ocean flow away behind us.

We enjoyed Pirate's Night on our first cruise last year, but we walked up there kind of late and ended up watching the fireworks through the glass ceiling over the hot tub area. Did we care that much? Not really. It was still pretty amazing just to see fireworks in the middle of the ocean. But I think we may give Flynnibus's tip a try next year anyway.

I too am wondering about the length of the M&G lines. Last year we waited 45 minutes to see Princess Anna onboard the Dream (which I thought was a long time until we saw the lines at EPCOT for those princesses after that). I can only imagine that the lines will be crazy long for the Star Wars Characters, and very heavy on the adults in line this time ...

flynnibus

Premium Member
That is what I am hoping.

We have done both a 3 and 4 day cruise and both were just too short. By the time you were really getting into your vacation you were being ushered off the ship. We also did not have any time tor really get into what the ship had to offer.

This 7 day cruise we have coming up in 2016 has been a dream of ours for about 12 years.

Pacing is a big deal. When we took our parents this last cruise, the first two days they were still running from event to event.. and I had to suggest to everyone to tone it down some :) The sea days mean you get more Beverage Events (mixology, tastings, etc), more chances for the restaurants, and simply more time for things like the guest speakers, etc. I don't think I would have ever had time for the Rainforest Spa on a 4 day, but on the 7 day I found myself in there quite often even for short periods. Definitely more time for relaxing, sleeping in, and less worrying about 'what is on the schedule for tomorrow'.

"Trying to do it all" can still get to you on the longer cruises... but simply you have more opportunities to do things with the sea days so there is less pressure to do that item, at this one time.

Way more of an escape.. plus on your repeat cruises you spend less time in 'discovery mode' and more time in 'enjoying what you like' :D

flynnibus

Premium Member
We enjoyed Pirate's Night on our first cruise last year, but we walked up there kind of late and ended up watching the fireworks through the glass ceiling over the hot tub area. Did we care that much? Not really. It was still pretty amazing just to see fireworks in the middle of the ocean. But I think we may give Flynnibus's tip a try next year anyway.

Yes, the fireworks are more hype than bite... but are still a nice tough. The prime tables in the corners fill up early near the bar for fireworks, but its not really crowded in our experience and you can always find your own personal space :)

I can only imagine that the lines will be crazy long for the Star Wars Characters, and very heavy on the adults in line this time ...

Exactly... more of the population interested in the topic, and limited supply. Good luck to the early pioneers :D

fidgell

we are looking at booking this in the next week, first time cruise family!

Will the star wars deck party replace the pirate party?
Think many will wear star wars costumes for the party? Dont want to look odd or out of place either way?!
Thanks

Kingdom Konsultant

WDWMAGIC Board Sponsor
Premium Member
WDWMAGIC Sponsor
From the information that they are giving us it looks like it will replace the pirate party for the specific SW cruises and from what I am hearing from my clients, they will be dressing up for the party!

Have a wonderful time!!

Pam

fidgell

From the information that they are giving us it looks like it will replace the pirate party for the specific SW cruises and from what I am hearing from my clients, they will be dressing up for the party!

Have a wonderful time!!

Pam

They emailled me this week. They say its in addition to the pirate party but there will only be fireworks at the star wars party not the pirate party.

mammaminnie

I personally would rather do a Star Wars cruise than Star Wars weekend at the Studios. The crowds are so much more controlled number wise on a cruise than in the park. Not to mention, it's a nice relaxing vacation as well.

lebeau

Pick a spot up near the waves bar above the adult pool... still great fireworks viewing and free from the pandemonium back above the main pools :) I can do without the pirate show, and if you just want to relax and take in that little extra with the fireworks... the adult area hits the spot.

Not to high-jack the Star Wars thread... but would the concierge sundeck work as well as the bar? I figure that must allow a lot of elbow room if one is willing to sacrifice the stage show.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Not to high-jack the Star Wars thread... but would the concierge sundeck work as well as the bar? I figure that must allow a lot of elbow room if one is willing to sacrifice the stage show.

The view would be a lot worse there I think given the additional obstructions and line of sight. Up on the deck near Currents you can look out across deck 12 to the starboard side of the center stack without much obstruction. This is why you can see things clearly. Up in the private sundeck, looking astern, you'd be staring right into the ship and walls... so you'd only be able to look up really. And the fireworks are mostly from the rear of the boat... line of sight is needed a good bit.

mammaminnie

The view would be a lot worse there I think given the additional obstructions and line of sight. Up on the deck near Currents you can look out across deck 12 to the starboard side of the center stack without much obstruction. This is why you can see things clearly. Up in the private sundeck, looking astern, you'd be staring right into the ship and walls... so you'd only be able to look up really. And the fireworks are mostly from the rear of the boat... line of sight is needed a good bit.

Exactly what I was going to say. Since the Concierge sun deck has walls all around it, it really limits the view to straight up.

lebeau

Exactly what I was going to say. Since the Concierge sun deck has walls all around it, it really limits the view to straight up.

Thank you both!

It's tough to tell these things just by looking at pictures and the deck plans!

JoesGirl

*waving hello* Just booked our SW cruise. Sails 2-6-16. It'll be the family's first with kids. Hoping it's going to be amazing. Our kids are 15, 13 and 10. we have extended family going, there will be a total of eight. Can not wait!

I called to see if the SW was replacing the Pirate party and was told it was too early to say.

DisSplash

*waving hello back!* We are going in January, so looks like we will miss your crew! It has been a while since I have been on top of the happenings with these Star Wars cruises (they are still such a long way off), but I had thought that all of the publicity indicated that Pirate Night was still a go? I wonder if something has changed ....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom