Tokyo DisneySea to replace StormRider with Finding Nemo Attraction

wdwfan22

Original Poster
Oriental Land Co., Ltd. announced that a new attraction will open in Port Discovery at Tokyo DisneySea® Park in spring 2017. The new attraction will be themed to the world of the Disney/Pixar films Finding Nemo and Finding Dory (to be released in 2016). This indoor attraction will immerse Guests in the underwater world of these popular stories by using a ride system that seamlessly blends visuals from the films with a motion system.

Boarding a submarine that “shrinks” to the size of a fish, Guests can explore the vast underwater world from the same point of view as Nemo and Dory. Guests can meet different characters and make new discoveries when they ride.

In addition, the production staff of Finding Dory (to be released in July 2016) will be involved in the creation of visuals for this attraction. Beautiful ocean scenery can be enjoyed on screen in this attraction. Don’t miss this maritime adventure inspired by the Finding Nemo film series.

Note: With the opening of this attraction, StormRider will close permanently around mid-May 2016.

Attraction Facts:
Opening Date: Spring 2017 (tentative)
Ride Duration: About 5 minutes
Capacity: 122 persons per cabin
Number of Cabins: 2
Height Requirement: Must be 90 cm or taller
Age Requirement: Must be age 3 or over
Investment Amount: About 5 billion yen (tentative)
Disney FASTPASS®: Applicable

peep

This news upsets me slightly. The ride was getting a little dated but I don't think it was dated enough for them to get rid of it for an IP make-over.

I do love how much money they're currently throwing at the Resort and I'm sure that just with everything else at DisneySea it'll look fantastic.

Admiral01

Premium Member
This is a real shame. Losing an attraction like StormRider to anything Nemo related is really just too bad. Makes me dislike Nemo even more than I did before.

cheezbat

Well, they already had Turtle Talk with Crush...a show, not a ride obviously, but it was something...now they're going to have something Nemo related in 2 different lands in the same park. :confused:
I saw either move Turtle Talk over or close it. It really doesn't fit where it's at anyway.

Vegas Disney Fan

I do love how much money they're currently throwing at the Resort and I'm sure that just with everything else at DisneySea it'll look fantastic.

I wonder if they're worried about Shanghai Disney or if this is just normal expansion based on their huge crowds.

peep

so its like the submarines in DL?

This is a retheme of the current 4D show. Think more along the lines of Star Tours.

I wonder if they're worried about Shanghai Disney or if this is just normal expansion based on their huge crowds.

Hmm, that's a good point. Maybe a mix of the two? Maybe the local fan-base felt like the resort was becoming stale and that reflected in sales or something? Also Hong Kong hasn't reacted in a similar fashion and that is definitely closer in terms of guest catchment area etc.

nerdboyrockstar

That's really unfortunate. Stormrider was one of my favorite attractions in the resort. Absolutely loved the in-house effects and the screens on the doors enveloping the whole cabin. I was hoping something like this would come to WDW/DLR.

peep

Arendale isn't replacing anything and looks pretty fantastic. Nemo is removing something original and is cheap and lazy. It's two different things.

Removing something original, yes, but the replacement isn't exactly cheap and lazy. Hiring Pixar to create completely new animation for an attraction is very expensive (clearly a reason behind Ratatouille at Paris being so ridiculously expensive) and also takes a long time. To make sure it's also good enough to be a part of that film's 'world' will acquire approval from a lot of people so needs to be fantastic.

Sage of Time

Removing something original, yes, but the replacement isn't exactly cheap and lazy. Hiring Pixar to create completely new animation for an attraction is very expensive (clearly a reason behind Ratatouille at Paris being so ridiculously expensive) and also takes a long time. To make sure it's also good enough to be a part of that film's 'world' will acquire approval from a lot of people so needs to be fantastic.
It's creatively lazy to replace originality with existing IP. Disagreed.

Philo

This seems a shame. I like that most of the attractions in DisneySeas are unique and generally not attached to characters / films etc.

orlando678-

I actually love this idea! I do think that they should change the story a bit to an invention that makes people talk to fish like with Crush, so that there's still something from the Discovery part of Port Discovery.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom