Universal Studios Hollywood Announces an "Epic Transformation"

jloucks

Today's press release confirms that Springfield is coming, along with Fast and the Furious - Supercharged, and new nighttime studio tours. All this in addition to Minion Mayhem/Super Silly Fun Land (opening this week) and Wizarding World of Harry Potter (opening in 2016)

Read the full press release here: http://insideuniversal.net/2014/04/universal-announces-ambitious-transformation-plan/

The NYTimes also has an article with additional details: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/09/b...ollywood-aims-to-catch-up-to-disney.html?_r=0

"The park, which will soon celebrate its 50th anniversary, said that it would also expand its “Simpsons” ride to include an entire themed village. The area, similar to one at Universal Orlando but more expansive, will add about a dozen restaurants and shops to the center of the park and open next year.
Also coming next year, the company said on Tuesday, will be “Fast & Furious – Supercharged,” a movie-thrill ride hybrid in which occupants of Universal’s famed back-lot trams will be encircled by 400-foot-long movie screens. “We’re going to make it feel like those trams are being pulled through the streets at speeds of over 100 miles per hour,” said Chick Russell, an executive producer for Universal Creative.

Universal’s tram tours, which currently end at sunset, will be expanded into the evening hours. There are plans for a new nighttime story line, which will be accompanied by lighting effects at more than 20 stops."

Lots of exciting things are happening -- it's nice to see that they are serious about investing in the Hollywood park as well. Meanwhile, i'm still waiting for Disney to announce something for DL's 60th next year..

If you base favorites on the amount of themed stuff purchased then my favorite part of Uni was the Simpsons. Loved it. An expansion would definitely be a lure to get me back into the park.

Mukta

Now that I've had time to reflect on my experience since riding Supercharged twice, I have to say I don't like it for the most part, and there are a few positives.

The positives:
  • the interior of the entrance is beautiful and really well-themed, as well as the exterior
  • the pre-show special effects are seriously cool
  • love that we're driving through Los Angeles
  • it's part of the Studio Tour...if it were a stand alone ride, it would be tragic
  • it's WAY better than the dancing cars on sticks and mummy tunnel that used to be there
The negatives:
  • the "plot" is weird, the script is pretty terrible, and the acting is bad as well (not from everyone)
  • too man half-naked women in the attraction/the party scene is awkward
  • the screens are two short
  • the ride itself is too short
  • the special effects once the ride starts are SO BAD...felt like I was in Grand Theft Auto, aka, it looked like video game effects
  • too much water effects
  • doesn't feel like one's going 120/mph
  • no "live" effects, aka, I thought that helicopter was going to be a prop that came down on guests...NOPE!
  • some parts of the attraction are inappropriate for children
I've heard some changes have already been made to the attraction. Team Members completed surveys about their opinions for the ride, thank God. Universal missed it this time. They really need to come up with a solution quick, though I'm hearing regular guests like the ride, while team embers don't. The highlight of the preview night was getting the chance to sing "Have a Tramtastic Day" with fellow team members. If you're familiar with Universal Studios Hollywood, you'll know what I'm talking about.

Thanks for the review! I knew you didn't work at Disney anymore, but I didn't know you worked at Universal. That is so cool!!

I remember when the final scene was avalanche and I loved that as a kid. I have never seen the F&F movies, but anything that makes the tram ride longer is a welcome addition for me.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Now that I've had time to reflect on my experience since riding Supercharged twice, I have to say I don't like it for the most part, and there are a few positives.

The positives:
  • the interior of the entrance is beautiful and really well-themed, as well as the exterior
  • the pre-show special effects are seriously cool
  • love that we're driving through Los Angeles
  • it's part of the Studio Tour...if it were a stand alone ride, it would be tragic
  • it's WAY better than the dancing cars on sticks and mummy tunnel that used to be there
The negatives:
  • the "plot" is weird, the script is pretty terrible, and the acting is bad as well (not from everyone)
  • too man half-naked women in the attraction/the party scene is awkward
  • the screens are two short
  • the ride itself is too short
  • the special effects once the ride starts are SO BAD...felt like I was in Grand Theft Auto, aka, it looked like video game effects
  • too much water effects
  • doesn't feel like one's going 120/mph
  • no "live" effects, aka, I thought that helicopter was going to be a prop that came down on guests...NOPE!
  • some parts of the attraction are inappropriate for children
I've heard some changes have already been made to the attraction. Team Members completed surveys about their opinions for the ride, thank God. Universal missed it this time. They really need to come up with a solution quick, though I'm hearing regular guests like the ride, while team embers don't. The highlight of the preview night was getting the chance to sing "Have a Tramtastic Day" with fellow team members. If you're familiar with Universal Studios Hollywood, you'll know what I'm talking about.

I've only watched the video, but I agree the acting in the pre-show is absolutely cringe worthy. and the party scene is really bizarre. With that said the part where you are actually racing through the streets is pretty cool.

Mickey_777

Yesterday, USH hit capacity, after the debut of Supercharged. Potter will be an absolute nightmare. Not looking forward to the crowds.

If DL wasn't built to handle the present day crowds, how much more of a nightmare will Uni Hollywood be once Potter gets going? They gotta come up with something 'cause it's gonna get ugly. They've also gotta find some relief for the escalators down to JP and Transformers/ Mummy.

Californian Elitist

If DL wasn't built to handle the present day crowds, how much more of a nightmare will Uni Hollywood be once Potter gets going? They gotta come up with something 'cause it's gonna get ugly. They've also gotta find some relief for the escalators down to JP and Transformers/ Mummy.

I think the Starway will be fine. There are going to be multiple entrances to Potter...that may help a little. I'm assuming they've got some sort of plan.

What's going to suck the most is closing. When the park closes, I predict Forbidden Journey will still have a 2-3 hour wait. Team members closing the park won't be able to leave until 1 or 2 in the morning.

JediMasterMatt

I think the Starway will be fine. There are going to be multiple entrances to Potter...that may help a little. I'm assuming they've got some sort of plan.

What's going to suck the most is closing. When the park closes, I predict Forbidden Journey will still have a 2-3 hour wait. Team members closing the park won't be able to leave until 1 or 2 in the morning.

No need to worry. Forbidden Journey is a capacity monster (well north of 2000 people/hour) and the RV system has already proven to be remarkably reliable, especially considering how complex the system is. While the initial rush on WestPotter will be insane, the ability for Forbidden Journey to command multi-hour waits won't be sustainable. It has too much throughput and as already said... the real concern is the land holding the masses. The churn of people going on and off the ride will still need to result in people exiting the land and at some point - the land will close off before the line could reach above 3 hours.

The real interesting thing to watch in SoCal AP (After Potter) will be observing any appreciable shift in the "after school/weekend" hang out dynamic. I could easily see Hogsmeade becoming the new "in" place for the social crowd to loiter and if that happens - will it impact Disneyland's frequent locals?

It won't be too long before the vest wearing "crews" may have to switch over to wizard robes.

cheezbat

On my last visit the Starway was pretty packed...I always thought they should build a long winding ramp down the hillside....it would help the crowds big time.

180º

I'm hearing Hollywood's Hogwarts is taller than the others.
Huh. From Hogsmeade level, or from the show building's lowest foundation down the side of the hill? The rock work already looks fairly redesigned, so I wouldn't be surprised if there are other minor changes.

Californian Elitist

Huh. From Hogsmeade level, or from the show building's lowest foundation down the side of the hill? The rock work already looks fairly redesigned, so I wouldn't be surprised if there are other minor changes.

Not sure, I just keep hearing my Orlando friends say it's taller.

Took this yesterday from the Jurassic Park parking lot:

WP_20150709_12_25_38_Pro.jpg

Disneyhead'71

Another announcement is to come this Tuesday on December 8th in regards to Potter West. The opening date will most likely be revealed, I can't think of anything else they'd announce.
Universal Rep: "Due to the overwhelming success if Hogsmeade Hollywood, we are pleased to announce Diagon Alley Hollywood!"

Reporter: "Hogsmeade isn't open yet."

Universal Rep.: "Why wait?"

Californian Elitist

Universal Rep: "Due to the overwhelming success if Hogsmeade Hollywood, we are pleased to announce Diagon Alley Hollywood!"

Reporter: "Hogsmeade isn't open yet."

Universal Rep.: "Why wait?"

That would be great! Unfortunately, the chances of USH getting DA are extremely slim to none, as there's no space. I honestly don't see how my previous co-workers will survive come next year. When Supercharged opened, traffic was backed up, all three parking lots filled, and we met full capacity by 2 PM. Potter will be an absolute nightmare.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
It was mental when we went in Sep/Oct. It took hours to get from the Hilton to the Bowl to see Van Halen. Though we did see Vin Gasoline a couple of times as he went to the studios I guess.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom