Trip Report Live Trip Reporting June 27 to July 8, 2015

Hello All!

Here we are in the World...which means it is time for me to start up the Live trip reporting. If you have followed along with us before, Welcome Back! If this is your first Brifraz trip report welcome along for the ride. I try to post each day of our trip with at least a couple pictures. Mainly fun and frivolity, but also the occasional newsworthy item and a piece here or there of personal opinion.

There are three of us in the Brifraz team, myself, my wife, and our 11 year old daughter. As you can see by my signature below, we have made quite a few trips to the World. My wife and I are both high school teachers, so our trips are almost always summer, Christmas, or Spring Break. This will be our second 4th of July week in a row. If you want to read about last year, see the aforementioned signature. Also, if you want the 'pre-game' for this trip, see here.

So, yesterday, we set out from the house at 6:45pm and this morning, we pulled into the resort right around 10:15am. About 13.5 hours of driving and 2 hours of breaks. What does that mean? It's nap time! But since I doubt you want to read about us falling sound asleep in our hotel room, here's what has happened so far.

We arrived at 10:15am at which time we surprised our daughter with the news that we would be spending one night at Art of Animation. In fact, she hadn't expected us to leave until this morning, but you can read about all that in the pre-trip if you want. Check in was quick and easy and our CM, Doug, was exceptional.

After check-in, we went right to our room on the top floor of the Little Mermaid building 7. This being our first time here, we are quite impressed with the room. Very nice and a little more spacious than I was expecting. Had a little trouble with some magic bands that weren't activated, but once that got resolved (over the phone - our daughter's worked so we could get in the room, but ours didn't) we changed into swimwear and toured the resort grounds before hitting the pool. The theming here is great. We have been to All-Stars before and find this MUCH more satisfying. That being said, we are quite spoiled by our DVC at Old Key West and the crowded-ness and noise level here is not nearly so relaxing as over there.

Once we had explored the buildings, it was pool time. After some chair searching (OK, a lot of searching...) we found a spot to stow our stuff and hit the pool.

Love the fact that every sign in the area is done with the silver fish from Finding Nemo. Our daughter loved the music playing underwater. Hate the fact that towels are not readily available. Evidently they are first thing in the morning, but otherwise you have to get them at the front desk. Oh well, air drying was fine for us. After a bit of playing, a storm started to roll in, so it was out of the pool. It did allow for a nice picture of an empty Big Blue Pool.

We headed into Landscape of Flavors and got some lunch. My wife had a burger (not sure what all was topping it) and my daughter and I split the make-your-own pasta - spaghetti with alfredo, chicken, garlic, and parmesan. I was pretty happy with the size of the portion and the three of us all got enough to eat from just the two meals. If you are going to visit, please note that they accept Tables in Wonderland there since they don't have a table service restaurant in the resort. Can't beat 20% savings!

After this bit of rest, we are thinking of going over to Studios for a quick Frozen-themed visit (sing along and fireworks). I am a bit Frozen-ed out, but our daughter is still pretty obsessive about it. If you want to read more about that check out last summer's trip when we did the opening night of the Frozen package at DHS.

If I can, I'll update on the evening tonight. If not, we will be heading to Universal tomorrow for IOA (but not Potter, yet) and will update after that!

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Original Poster
Really enjoy reading your report! Founders All Day IPA is of husbands favorite beers!

What's funny is that we don't think we have ever tried it before yesterday. My wife and I drink quite a bit of beer. In fact, we have a bottle collection of well over 1000 different beers and she used to bartend at a place with 40+ taps and hundreds of bottles - and I know we have gotten Founders collections before, but the All Day IPA is one that appears to have escaped our sights...until now!

DVCPluto

Awesome pics! Very brave to take them on the climb to the top of Everest. As not a fan of heights myself, even the pic gave me the willies since I knew where you were taking it from. :eek:

Soccer camp looks really cool. I could see DS wanting to do something like that. Is there a Disney Baseball camp? We might have to move down there if there is! ;) That would be a real shame... real, real shame.

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Original Poster
It's 4pm and here we are atop the train station.

Actually have been here for a couple hours already. Watched the parade from up here. We know it isn't the best spot for fireworks, but it is shaded and you have nearby benches and AC. The girls are of getting haircuts and then doing some FP+.

Billy6

Great report and cool pics of your daughter and Marcelo. Not a fan of him or Brazil's National team but cool none the less!

About 4 years ago, whist dining at the California Grill, I spotted Kaka from Brazil/Real Madrid, having dinner. Now he is the capitan of Orlando City FC, Orlando's MLS team...

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Original Poster
Please bear with me...got back to the room at 3am last night and have close to 2000 photos to go through to figure out what is worth sharing with everyone. I've got about an hour of time because we're doing laundry before we head to Epcot, so I'm going to try to get things posted here for you soon!

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Original Poster
OK...Finally...here's the 3rd of July with just a small percentage of our pictures from yesterday. In fact, I still haven't made it through all the pictures, but found some good ones that are share-worthy, so here we go!

As you already know, we were up early and at Magic Kingdom for opening at 8am. Short plug here for the all day lockers - best $8 we spent all day. Put our bag of fun things for sitting waiting for fireworks and a small soft cooler with sandwiches along with our rain gear in there and went in and out of that locker 4 or 5 times during the day. Very helpful! At 7:50am we went with the masses down main street.

We decided that through the castle would be the faster route to Mine Train due to the construction on the new turrets to the right as you face the castle. This was the wrong call! The path between Merida and Cosmic Ray's made it to the Mine Train much faster and meant that we were in line for about 10-15 minutes before getting our first ride of the day. Not really a problem, just an observation! After the Mine Train, we did Winnie the Pooh and Peter Pan in quick succession, neither really having much wait at this point in the morning. Then it was time for It's A Small World. I know it sounds cliche, but I still enjoy all the detail and beauty of that ride.

We then continued to move west and went through the Haunted Mansion before taking a trip across the river to Tom Sawyer Island. The best part about TSI is how relaxing it can be when you know how crazy busy the park is.

And the fun of taking a few shots (multiple meaning intended) from Fort Samuel Clemens.

After a good bit of exploring and playing checkers, it was getting close to our 11am lunch at Be Our Guest, so we stopped off at the Beauty and the Beast shop. Just a note...we got the Be Our Guest ADRs online just two days ago. I know it is usually the hardest ADR to get in Magic Kingdom, but obviously we got lucky by going with early lunch. We have done lunch there a couple times before, but this was our first time getting a table in the West Wing.

I had the turkey sandwich, my wife had the roast beef sandwich, and our daughter had the kids turkey sandwich. All enjoyed thoroughly. For dessert, we tried the new orange and chocolate eclair along with the lemon meringue cupcake (our usual) and both were great. I have pictures of the food somewhere, but haven't uploaded them...sorry! After lunch, we did some relaxed activities - Mickey's Philharmagic and Hall of Presidents. Some people may try to tell you that I dozed in both. I cannot deny this, but I don't think there is any photographic evidence!

It was getting close to 2pm at this point and we decided to head to the front of the park and get our spots at the train station early so we could see the parade from up there before our marathon sit-and-wait for the fireworks. Once there, we let our daughter go off and do some Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom alone, which is pretty big for her. The telephoto lens did keep and eye on her travels up and down Main Street....

She came back and it was Parade time. Both my wife and I took a lot of parade pictures, but I'm just going to share a few. I love this first one because you can see some part of almost all of the floats - obviously Beauty and Beast, then a little of Flynn Rider, Ariel's shell is in there, and the steam punk dragon breathing fire.

I just found this expression to be most entertaining.

Flynn being himself while Maximus looks on with the perfect expression.

Lost Boys at play.

Merida taking aim.

One of Merida's brothers and his target.
And another performer (a bird perhaps) with the stars of the show in the background.

That is just a small sample size of our pictures! After the parade, the girls went off for our daughter to get a haircut followed by using FP+ for Big Thunder Mountain and Elsa and Anna while I stayed atop the train station. From my perch, I people watched and enjoyed the Flag Retreat ceremony.

I will take this moment to put in a huge plug for the Main Street Philharmonic. They are quite different than I remember from years past, although I can't honestly say the last time I really listened to them. They remind me more of Future Corps from the old Epcot days than what I remember of them. Great playing and some really fun arrangements. OK, band director moment over...back to the story.

The girls got back around 6pm and we had our sandwiches before my daughter and I were going to Splash Mountain for our 6:45pm FP+ there. The storms were definitely starting to roll in, so we rushed and got there at 6:45pm on the dot. Entered the FP+ line and got almost to the front when the ride went down for lightning in the area. Bummed, we walked back to the train station with a quick stop at the bakery for some dessert drinks for the girls. Back at the train station, it was time to sit and wait for the 9pm fireworks.

And watch the storm! You have already seen the two ideal lightning pictures that I took, but I am going to share the second one again because now that I got it on the computer, I could clean it up a little.

Of course, the storms were epic. Constant lightning and evidently some hail and strong winds just west of us. I have heard tell that they made national news with some of the pictures people took - hope you enjoy mine here! But, that meant that the fireworks could not go off on time. They were 'temporarily delayed.' Heard that announcement quite a few times. At 10:15pm they finally announced that the fireworks would start in 10 minutes and there was a huge cheer followed by a rush of people into the park (which had been steadily emptying for the past few hours during the rain and storming). Again, just a few pictures of the show for you in the next posting.

After the fireworks, we headed back to see what the status of Splash Mountain was. It was up and running again and the nice CM running the FP+ line let us in even though our FP+ had been scanned already but we hadn't gotten to ride. After Splash, we criss-crossed the park during the parade to hit Cosmic Rays for a few bites to eat. Then my daughter wanted to drive me around on the Speedway and spin with my wife on the Teacups. We then all went on Little Mermaid together and while I know it is not a popular sentiment around here, I really like the ride. Yes, the ending is too short, but the theming and execution is classic dark ride with some very impressive AAs. And I love the attention to detail of the modern queueing in the World.

After going under the sea, we rode Prince Charming's Regal Carousel. There is a nice picture that is on my wife's phone of me with my head down on my horse while my daughter grins away. Sorry I don't have it here yet! We then went on It's A Small World and finally decided at 2:20am, it was time to head out. It was a bit of a conspiracy by my daughter and I as we both nodded off some on Small World. Back in the room at 3am, we were quickly asleep.

Today has been good so far and will be coming later...now it is time to head to Epcot (really back to Epcot, but more on that later) for the evening and fireworks!

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom