A Spirited Perfect Ten

Cesar R M

I am sorta surprised Harambe Nights didn't return. It was well received. It seemed to the be the highest quality (I may have just answered my own question). Georgie K even liked it and was spotted there weekly, usually with good-looking CPers.

I thought it was a given to return. I guess cupcake parties are the foamheads of upcharge events. Cheap and the rubes love 'em.
probably not profitable enough for the bean counter?

Longhairbear

I just read that Disney Hollywood Adventure has a 3 billion dollar budget. All to be announced at D23, and includes Pixar, Indy, and Star Wars. Not sure of the source, but came from a Facebook buddy. I'lll try to get a link.
thisisinfamous.com written by Billy Donnelly

71jason

Matt Bomer's character mentions he was in the show as the Donald understudy before working his way up to Mickey in his pre-dancer music career. Of course neither role (or any) in the show involves live singing, but maybe that was part of the joke...or they didn't think anyone would know that.

#ThemeParkNerdStench Can't play a duck or a mouse unless he's like 5'4" or under (maybe 5'6", but Bomer claims 6', so no way).

71jason

Spirited July 4th Weekend Dumplings

Do we have any breathless capacity threads from O-Town (Disney or UNI) yet?

Can only speak to MK, but in the 4 or 5 times I've parked there since last Friday (friend in town), I've yet to see the back lots in use. Yesterday evening--eve of the holiday weekend--hadn't even filled Zurg yet. Traffic hasn't been great, but not typical holiday levels either. No sign of closings today. I thought this would be the more popular week, with Friday off, but maybe everyone waiting for next week?

WDWdream97

WDW has one park, with considerable room for expansion, that is generally overcrowded. And it has three others that not only are not, but have vast areas that either haven't been developed (DAK) or have been allowed to sit empty (the others). Lly DAK comes close to being a cohesive themed environment today).

I just hope that if/when they decide to expand MK they also expand the railroad tracks so the new areas do not look haphazardly tacked on.

Funmeister

Synergy wasn't always a bad thing.

When Disney opened a new film and had a show/attraction/parade ready to open at WDW ... when it had the shelves of Disney Stores stocked with merchandise based on it ... when window displays on MSUSA had animated displays etc.

Synergy now is more like propaganda ... it's when a character on General Hospital is wearing an Avengers shirt ... or when ESPN is whored in a film etc.

Not sure if it is still there but there used to be a wall in one of the classrooms at Disney University that displayed the perfect example of true synergy with the Lion King. There were raised pictures on the well surrounding a centered picture of the Lion King full length animated feature showing all of the different properties and consumer products (Broadway, tv shows, merchandise, etc.) based and inspired by that single film. It was (is) really cool to see how synergy worked before it was batardized as a shameless plug and cross-promotion tool.

Product placement in tv shows and movies does not equal synergy.

Funmeister

Yep. That is exactly what I mean.

Disney is the world's largest entertainment company. That's what you get. I could do better with two fanbois and a visit to the local Dollar Tree. Seriously.

Embarrassing bad doesn't begin to describe it.

I'm anxious as to know whether Disney has started making one-day Studios tix into park-hoppers (even maybe just to EPCOT) for people who complain that there is nothing to do in that park. It WILL happen. And O-Town media and bloggers will ignore it. As it is now, The Corpse of The Disney-MGM Studios is by far the worst Disney park in the world. And it ain't even close.

Maybe they will just make the Studios 365 days of "bronze" level pricing? LOL

Darth Sidious

Authentically Disney Distinctly Chinese
I am sorta surprised Harambe Nights didn't return. It was well received. It seemed to the be the highest quality (I may have just answered my own question). Georgie K even liked it and was spotted there weekly, usually with good-looking CPers.

I thought it was a given to return. I guess cupcake parties are the foamheads of upcharge events. Cheap and the rubes love 'em.

It's the only up charge event I've ever been interested in attending but won't attend because I won't be paying extra on principal. If I had children I'm sure that would change if they wanted to see something like the Christmas or Halloween party.

I am actually somewhat excited to walk around the new market in a few weeks. It looks like they actually did a good job, though theme at AK has never been an issue.

Nubs70

Nope. Despite the 28 'likes' and all the numbers, I will strongly disagree with you on this -- at present.

WDW has one park, with considerable room for expansion, that is generally overcrowded. And it has three others that not only are not, but have vast areas that either haven't been developed (DAK) or have been allowed to sit empty (the others). I'd argue, and quite well, that until WDW balances its crowds and gives people compelling reasons to visit the other parks, there is nothing to suggest a fifth gate is a remotely viable or practical from a business POV.

Americans, who still make up the vast majority of WDW visitors, don't have unlimited vacation time. Additional parks will cannibalize current visitors and, yes, future ones. There isn't a financial reason for adding a new gate any more than there is a compelling creative one (considering that only DAK comes close to being a cohesive themed environment today).

After you have four healthy gates, then we can talk about whether it makes any sense for an additional gate. My strong opinion is that even a decade from now, all we'll be doing is talking. The idea that WDW needs five parks to deal with ever increasing masses of humanity is far more simplistic than your usual spot-on analysis (don't take that as an insult as it reads harsher than intended!)

WDW needs, desperately, new and compelling attractions and entertainment across the four parks it has (yes, even MK needs more ... a lot more!) It may even need a third water park, although I'm not convinced of that either. It needs infrastructure (everything from road work that is finally happening to a transport system not based upon buses).

It NEEDS those things to be healthy and thrive.

It doesn't need a fifth gate, no matter how you torture those numbers! :)
Yes, WDW needs to flesh out existing idle real estate to help disperse the existing crowd demand. But when considering the current rate of growth and glacial construction schedules, a fifth gate needs to be started soon to avoid the large crowd cluster-f expanding from a MK problem to a resort wide phenomenon. Although surge pricing may give WDW a short amount of breathing room.

MerlinTheGoat

PhotoDave219

I just read that Disney Hollywood Adventure has a 3 billion dollar budget. All to be announced at D23, and includes Pixar, Indy, and Star Wars. Not sure of the source, but came from a Facebook buddy. I'lll try to get a link.
thisisinfamous.com written by Billy Donnelly

I've discussed this a few times in two other threads, so I'm gonna hit it and quit it. (La face and the Oakland bookie!)

- the budget is at least $3B with the majority going to DHS. About 10% each to MK/EP. Give or take.

- Star Wars is coming. Pixar is coming.

- everything else is a mere compilation of old and rejected rumors. Star Wars is going to be done on a grander scale. The SW plans that he's referring to seem to be the ones that the Board of Directors rejected last year due to not being ambitious enough.

- Indy is a fanboi delusion. It's nearly a 20 year old ride and no one familiar with the BOD meeting last week heard of it.

- D23 will likely announce Marvel at DCA, Star Wars at DL. Avatar/rivers of color at DAK. Likely DHS rebranding. Maybe Pixar at DHS. Star Wars at DHS may be hinted at but I am not expecting any details.

- LA face with the Oakland booty.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Seriously not joking, but that "lounge" reminds me of a DMV waiting room, though with even fewer and less comfortable seats...:facepalm:

I heard rumors that there was a new DHS lounge and it was bad, but that's not even a lounge! That's just moving some benches and trashcans indoors to an abandoned building! Why don't they advertise it with free bubblegum, you just have to scrape it off the floor?

MerlinTheGoat

I heard rumors that there was a new DHS lounge and it was bad, but that's not even a lounge! That's just moving some benches and trashcans indoors to an abandoned building! Why don't they advertise it with free bubblegum, you just have to scrape it off the floor?
Hey now, don't be like that. The area also doubles as a magical new meet and greet location for "Mickey". Pay no mind that he's only 1/100 of his normal size, not wearing clothes and darting through a hole in the wall. :p

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
Hopefully that building will go away with whatever all this $3B dollars is supposed to go towards and the "Empty Warehouse with some Folding Chairs D-Zone Lounge" will be a short term thing.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
Hold on, lemmings bring us back here.... Imagine if they spent that money in future world instead?
I can imagine of course (and I have, for many many thread pages!). But as everyone likes to point out to me, Future World of old just 'aint coming back. Let's say they took that $2B and spent it there. I'd bet it would have brought in a whole lot of badly done "Nemo-style" attraction overlays and other junk. For whatever reason, it seems like they were not ready until now to (potentially) sink money into quality attractions. I mean, just look at the fact that they're adding a 3rd theater to the most boring attraction this side of Ellen's Energy Napatorium instead of doing literally anything else of substance.
They did however spend $1-2B on all things MagicBand/NGE/Fastpass/Data goldmine, and it's markedly improved my vacations for 3 trips in a row.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom