Carribean vs Coronado

betak

Original Poster
Planning a trip to Disney in October 2016 and have pricing for both Carribean and Coronado. The Carribean is less expensive and we are pretty budget conscious. Last time we stayed at All Star Movies. The rooms weren't too nice, but we have young kids (they will be 8 and 4 at the time of the trip) and we pretty much plan to use the room as a place to crash at night. I read that the Carribean has more bus stops and it was recommended not to stay here, especially in a Standard Room, by our booking agent for a few other reasons.

It seems like the pool at the Carribean might be more kid friendly from what I've read. I'm wondering, will it be warm enough to swim in October?

Also, we plan on driving instead of flying, and will have a car with us. Would the bus stop situation be aided at all by us driving to the parks (if we plan on getting there really early each day) or not?

Wondering if I should spring for the extra expense to stay at Coronado for any reason, if we are okay with walking a large hotel grounds and okay with waiting for buses or dealing with alternate transportation?

ULPO46

By warm it can hit 78-80 degrees in the middle of January so I wouldn't worry about October being freezing it stays rather warm. The pools are heated at the Caribbean as are many acros the property. However if you are just going to crash at night it be a better value than the Coronado although the pool at the Coronado in y opinion is a lot nicer. At night you can view the fireworks from EPCOT as the park is in front of the resort. Do what you want within your budget. Yes the buses are a pain especially since the construction project at downtown Disney causes traffic to backup behind the resorts entrance. Take things into consideration and plan as you'd like but your money, the Caribbean is a good place to stay. They both have their pros and cons. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

ULPO46

It *can*, but not likely. The average high in Orlando in January is like 72. I think it would be a huge mistake to use the pool as a deciding factor in January.

Are either Port Orleans resorts an option? I like them both much better than either CBR or CSR. If not, I'd just go with whatever's cheaper.
Those are great resorts but if you want them for October reserve them now. They get sold out quickly because of how popular and nice they are. Riverside and Port Orleans are incredible for their value.

Yeah I know it's the average I like swimming in the pools in that temperature better than snowboarding in January. It gives me a bit of how warm summers get in the North.

CaptainAmerica

Those are great resorts but if you want them for October reserve them now. They get sold out quickly because of how popular and nice they are. Riverside and Port Orleans are incredible for their value.

Yeah I know it's the average I like swimming in the pools in that temperature better than snowboarding in January. It gives me a bit of how warm summers get in the North.
Not sure where my brain was going. I could have sworn the OP said January. Now that I see it's really October, your post makes much more sense.

ETA: Nevermind haha, I see that YOU mentioned January... time for another cup of coffee.

ULPO46

Not sure where my brain was going. I could have sworn the OP said January. Now that I see it's really October, your post makes much more sense.

ETA: Nevermind haha, I see that YOU mentioned January... time for another cup of coffee.
haha no worries was just letting him know I can't recall in my many years being born and raised in Central Florida that the weather was too cold in October. I remember a nasty thanksgiving that it nearly hit 100 degrees.

Gojira ゴジラ

Wondering if I should spring for the extra expense to stay at Coronado for any reason, if we are okay with walking a large hotel grounds and okay with waiting for buses or dealing with alternate transportation?

We stayed at the Caribbean resort for two weeks back in 2012. I thought it was okay but most likely we won't be staying there again. You mentioned about the bus stop issue, you are correct sir. They have plenty of bus stops, and depending where your room is your stop may be the last one and it may be a pain in the butt bus waiting experience. But I know some people that swear they never had any problem with it. I guess your mileage may vary. If you drive your own car, that may help, I've never driven a car there so I can't comment.

Room wise, they are okay. They aren't bad but they aren't the best either. Sure The Art of Animation was built recently, but I love it there more than than I do at the Caribbean. But as you said, if you just need a place to crash, then go for it.

ratherbeinwdw

Caribbean Beach is very close to DHS and Epcot. When we used to stay there, we would drive to every park, except Magic Kingdom, since you still have to use take the ferry or monorail from the TTC to the park. The other parks are a breeze to drive to and get out of in the evening/night when everyone else is waiting in long lines for the bus.
They have refurbished most of the Caribbean units except for Pirate rooms. I wouldn't stay in one of those. They were already in really bad shape four years ago. The pool is really nice for young kids. They have an internal bus, but we always drove our car to the lobby/food court.

betak

Original Poster
Thanks for the helpful replies everyone! I'm leaning even more towards the Carribean, because of the cost and the pool at this point. I don't know how the transportation compares to the All Star, but those were long bus rides, and on occasion long-ish lines, and I didn't mind them too terribly. Knowing that we could drive to and from parks on our own without much trouble is also good to know. If you stay at a Disney Resort, are you able to park at a different resort without problem (say we want to go to the Boardwalk Hotel, for instance, for a few hours with the kids)?

BrerJon

If you stay at a Disney Resort, are you able to park at a different resort without problem (say we want to go to the Boardwalk Hotel, for instance, for a few hours with the kids)?

Anyone can park at any Disney resort, you just have to show them your ID and tell them you'll only be a couple of hours. The only exceptions are the monorail resorts where sometimes they can be strict so you don't use it as park parking.

As for hotel choice, I'd go Caribbean - the bus journeys are quicker than the All Stars as it's closer to all the parks apart from Animal Kingdom, and while it's a big resort each 'island' has its own pool, so you'll be near a pool, and it's very easy to navigate. I found Coronado felt much larger when I stayed there, because you can't cut across the lake like you can at CBR.

Also the main pool at CBR is more central, and probably more fun for the kids.

stevehousse

I have never stayed at Coronado, but it looks even more spread out than Caribbean is? We just stayed at Caribbean Beach this past May (5-12). We have a 6, 4, and 8 month old, and we really liked the resort. My kids loved the pools (both main pool and island pool), the beaches, and the new renovated rooms were done very nicely. Food court was average, some good finds on the menu, but mostly standard fare. The bus situation, was just fine. the longest we ever waited for a bus was 20 minutes. every other time was a 5-10 minute wait. This place seems to get some flack from people here, but our family really had a nice time here, and would stay again some day. Dont let the reviews throw you off. Request a room near the bridge so you are closer to everything.

Buzz2001

My family and I would recommend CSR in a heartbeat! Besides having a great main pool area, CSR also offers many deluxe amenities at a mod price. CSR also offer business club level rooms now with lounge access.

CSR has queen beds, a sliding wooden door separating the sink area from the room but only one sink.

Amenities include a fitness center, spa, free wi-fi, tanning beds, a sauna, salon, full menu room service and a night/dance club.

The resort offers the same toiletries as the deluxes (except GF). CSR has separate shampoo and conditioner instead of the shampoo/conditioner combo (a small thing, I know, but it means I don't have to pack shampoo and conditioner).

CSR has the largest hot tub of the mods and one of the longest pool slides on Disney property. The pool, slide and playground area is great and all located in one area at the main pool.

Bus service is terrific and is not shared with another resort. Only 4 stops vs 7 at CBR

Matt_Black

Another thing that hasn't been mentioned- Coronado tends to attract the business convention crowd, so there are generally less families there. If your kids are outgoing, sociable, and prone to making new friends with other kids (the WEIRDOS!), then they'd probably like CBR more than Coronado.

sophie_the_pooh

We stayed at CBR in April 2014. We enjoyed the surroundings, but the food court wasn't great and the bus service very slow. We chose CSR for our Sept. 2015 trip, I'm looking forward to the different food options (Pepper Market, Cafe Rix, Maya Grill/Las Ventanas, Siestas Cantina, ...), the 4 bus stops instead of 6-7 at CBR, the Dig Site, ... We don't mind the fact that it's a convention center, just less people on the buses!

JohnByers

This is our first trip driving in, if we drive from CBR to DHS or Epcot do you have to pay to park? Noob question I know lol

janelove956

Planning a trip to Disney in October 2016 and have pricing for both Carribean and Coronado. The Carribean is less expensive and we are pretty budget conscious. Last time we stayed at All Star Movies. The rooms weren't too nice, but we have young kids (they will be 8 and 4 at the time of the trip) and we pretty much plan to use the room as a place to crash at night. I read that the Carribean has more bus stops and it was recommended not to stay here, especially in a Standard Room, by our booking agent for a few other reasons.

It seems like the pool at the Carribean might be more kid friendly from what I've read. I'm wondering, will it be warm enough to swim in October?

Also, we plan on driving instead of flying, and will have a car with us. Would the bus stop situation be aided at all by us driving to the parks (if we plan on getting there really early each day) or not?

I completely get where you're coming from because I had this same dilema not too long ago, my siblings and I were debating between pop and the extra expense of CSR and let me tell you the expense was well worth it:inlove::inlove: CSR is so much nicer, the rooms and beds are bigger and is alot more relaxing and quiet (even though we went during June and I assure you there was plenty of people). Now as far as space I have heard that both CSR and CBR are around the same size. How I solved this was by asking to stay at the rooms closest to the lobby, mind you we had a standard room, so that way if we wanted to go to get drinks it wouldn't be too far. I hope this helps:) if you have any more questions let me know

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom