Dolphin Renovations?

daisyduckie

Showed up around 7 pm to be informed that the room type I had book was unavailable, and that they had put me in a lesser room type. Up until that point I didn't believe Disney would do that, I thought they would always upgrade. But apparently not.

Polydweller

Showed up around 7 pm to be informed that the room type I had book was unavailable, and that they had put me in a lesser room type. Up until that point I didn't believe Disney would do that, I thought they would always upgrade. But apparently not.
If you are talking about the Dolphin, it is neither owned nor operated by Disney. It is a Tishman property. It will Tishman policies about how to deal with room assignments when a room type is not available. Disney has nothing to do with it.

daisyduckie

If you are talking about the Dolphin, it is neither owned nor operated by Disney. It is a Tishman property. It will Tishman policies about how to deal with room assignments when a room type is not available. Disney has nothing to do with it.

I know that. But it goes to show that not every hotel guarantees an upgrade instead of a downgrade. If Disney will downgrade I believe any resort will.

daisyduckie

But it's not Disney-owned...so Disney didn't technically downgrade you. Unless you weren't talking about the Dolphin?

Sigh. The poster I originally quoted stated that resorts never downgrade guests, only upgrade them. I was simply sharing that in my experience that is not true.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Sigh. The poster I originally quoted stated that resorts never downgrade guests, only upgrade them. I was simply sharing that in my experience that is not true.
I think we were expecting you to share more details of the situation when you were downgraded at a Disney resort. It's clear you don't want to give specifics. I hope Disney at least refunded the difference from what you paid to the lesser room that you received.

JusticeDisney

Original Poster
The renovations at the Swan have not been well received. Designers are currently regrouping and work at the Dolphin will begin soon.
Could you elaborate, please? Where have you seen that? I know several people who have stayed at the renovated Swan and they all raved about it. I'm curious as to where you have gotten your information. I'm not trying to call you out in anyway, I just hadn't heard anything like that.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
The renovations at the Swan have not been well received. Designers are currently regrouping and work at the Dolphin will begin soon.

I stayed in a renovated room at the Swan in mid-May. I liked the modern, clean lines, and the blue and white colors were attractive. Also, the lighting was very good throughout, especially for reading. I understand that everyone has different tastes in interior design, but I thought the renovated room looked lovely.

BlindChow

We were in a Swan renovated room last week and thought it was very nice. There were a few things I questioned (no mirror in the sleeping area, almost no closet space for empty luggage), but overall it suited our needs fine. (And it was a corner room overlooking the river, so the view was terrific.)

One thing I wondered though: the carpet in the hallway outside our room was very worn in the middle where people walk (the pattern was pretty much gone). I'm fairly sure the carpet was new (it was blue and white, like the new decor--there was a section of the hallway on the opposite side of the floor with the old-colored carpet), so how did it get worn out so fast? Was it temporary?

ULPO46

I assume they do the work in stages? A floor or portion of the hotel at a time?
Yes you are right they do this kind of work in stages one floor at a time. Eventually both the Swan and Dolphin will be completely remodeled, how ever no dates can be safely set as working in stages takes time and wont finish until sometime near this time next year.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
Staying at the Dolphin in September. We stayed at the Swan in January and the front desk confirmed what has already been said here. Swan renovation (Phase 1) was completed and Dolphin (Phase 1) will begin in January of 2016. After the first phase of the Dolphin is completed the rest (Phase 2) of the Swan will be renovated and so on. I want to say it was slated for a 4 year timeline starting in 2014.

WDWtraveler

Photo update as of Friday, October 6. According to an Orlando Sentinel article published October 5, 2017, page A14:
"The Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin Resort is celebrating the completion of a renovation that has involved all 2,267 guest rooms, and dramatically, the Dolphin lobby.
The lobby now sports a much larger lobby bar, dubbed Phins, and an expansive grab-and-go restaurant called Fuel, which features sandwiches, pastries, yogurt and a good amount of seating if you're not on the go.
The room renovation was done in six phases over three years."

IMG_0123.JPG

IMG_0122.JPG

IMG_0124.JPG

IMG_0125.JPG

IMG_0126.JPG

P.S. The Swan lobby remains the same.

DiSnEyF@n

Photo update as of Friday, October 6. According to an Orlando Sentinel article published October 5, 2017, page A14:
"The Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin Resort is celebrating the completion of a renovation that has involved all 2,267 guest rooms, and dramatically, the Dolphin lobby.
The lobby now sports a much larger lobby bar, dubbed Phins, and an expansive grab-and-go restaurant called Fuel, which features sandwiches, pastries, yogurt and a good amount of seating if you're not on the go.
The room renovation was done in six phases over three years."

View attachment 236351

View attachment 236352

View attachment 236353

View attachment 236354

View attachment 236355

P.S. The Swan lobby remains the same.

Thanks for sharing! Now I need to go back and check out my favorite resort!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom